• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Pro Cycling Thread

Magrat Garlick

Global Moderator
Their Tour team would probably look like:

Alberto Contador
Lance Armstrong
Levi Leipheimer
Andreas Kloden
Haimar Zubeldia
Chris Horner
Assan Bazayev (token Kazakh)
Benjamín Noval
José Luis Rubiera

Their first four riders have all finished in the top 5 in the TDF from 1999 to 2007. Impressive that.
Contador rumoured to leave tbh. Can't blame him.

Craig

World Traveller
Contador rumoured to leave tbh. Can't blame him.
Where to though? CSC-Saxo Bank? You have the Schlek brothers, in particular Andy who made the Alpe d'Huez stage look like a walk in the park. If it wasn't for the hunger flat in the Pyrennes, he could have gotten on the podium.

He didn't leave this year, so I don't think he will go anywhere.

Magrat Garlick

Global Moderator
Where to though? CSC-Saxo Bank? You have the Schlek brothers, in particular Andy who made the Alpe d'Huez stage look like a walk in the park. If it wasn't for the hunger flat in the Pyrennes, he could have gotten on the podium.

He didn't leave this year, so I don't think he will go anywhere.
Caisse d'Epargne - would take some pressure of Valverde to become a GC rider.

At least last year he knew he was the team leader. Now, after winning two Grand Tours and two minor tours, he's been ditched for a 38-year-old's PR stunt.

Craig

World Traveller
Caisse d'Epargne - would take some pressure of Valverde to become a GC rider.

At least last year he knew he was the team leader. Now, after winning two Grand Tours and two minor tours, he's been ditched for a 38-year-old's PR stunt.
Budget would be Caisse d'Epargne's biggest issue since Valverde is on around 2.5m euros a year, and Pereiro who is on a fair bit as a TDF "winner". Karpets has joined Katyusha, so there may be some budget freedom.

Craig

World Traveller
Stefan Shumacher did test positive for CERA (Continuous Erythropoiesis Receptor Activator) after his samples were taken from the Tour. So there goes his two stage wins and surprise surprise Leonardo Piepoli was positive as well (although that was obvious). Although I'm not sure who gets that stage win though, Juan Jose Cobo who was second? Maybe although they would be loath to give it to him. Frank Schlek? Well apparently he is a customer of a certain dodgy Spanish doctor that worked with Jan Ullrich, Ivan Basso and others. Bernhard Kohl who was fourth? I guess so, but Shumacher was doped up, so can you take his team mate Kohl for any creditibilty? Vladimir Efimkin (AG2R) who was 5th, so does he get the stage win? Bear in mind Riccardo Ricco was 6th, so he does not count and Carlos Sastre was 7th.

I have no idea now. To quote Phil Gould, the answer is a pineapple!

Matteh

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
1st and 5th...Impressive effort.

Only people to have come close to that is Olano and Indurian in 1993 or something (so i heard) where they both managed to come 1st and 2nd.