• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

***Official*** South Africa in England

Should Freddy be included in team for the second Test?

• Total voters

Scaly piscine

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
Fair play to the Saffies for coming back into this the way they have done. Apologies if it's been said (haven't read back, just this page) but surelythis is the excuse the selectors needed to pick Flintoff?
I would say it's the excuse the selectors needed to pick Simon Jones. He's the only one who could have won this game for England.

The selection is straight-forward if for some bizarre reason Monty 'toothless' Panesar wasn't inked in along with his baggage of inept batting/fielding. England must have 4 seamers to challenge the best sides and they also can't afford to have Flintoff or a wicket-keeper batting at 6.

But the way Bell curiously moved up to 5 and Colly to 6 shows the selectors wanted to make their life easier in the future.

Richard

Cricket Web Staff Member
Generally the better batsman bats at five rather than six. Not that there's any particularly enormous difference. If you can score runs at five you can score them at six, and vice-versa.

Richard

Cricket Web Staff Member
I think I've just heard the most clueless em@il ever too BTW - suggesting Philip Mustard play Tests. 8-) As if ODIs wasn't bad enough.

Mr Mxyzptlk

Request Your Custom Title Now!
Poor form by Nasser during the lunch interval, suggesting that Flintoff has to be at 6 for the Ashes next year.

Richard

Cricket Web Staff Member
Poor form by Nasser during the lunch interval, suggesting that Flintoff has to be at 6 for the Ashes next year.
But they did it in 2005!!
Might well be something in that. I think there's more a case of simply overrating Flintoff's skill though. He was up to six as far back as 2003. He's never been good enough for that IMO, and that's never changed.

I certainly think England are better off playing 5 bowlers. Wtether that means Freddy batting 6 or 7 I dunno, but IMO Collingwood is a fairly average batsman and I'm not sure England will be worse off to do a direct swap off Freddy for Collingwood.

SpaceMonkey

International Debutant
I'm glad both wickets went to Anderson. He's bowled probably the best of the English bowlers this innings and has deserved it.