• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Official Rugby Thread

Somerset

Cricketer Of The Year
Given the conditions, thought the handling was of a very high level in the first half. Lots of off the ball play that hasn't really been dealt with but I guess this is South Africa we're playing. Thought Brad Thorn was a bit lucky not to spend 10 mins on the side after his spear tackle on Smit though.

South Africa look dangerous even though they've not possessed as much of the ball. No mistake from Habana to score the only try of the half. However, the loss of Smit may be crucial if the Sprinboks are behind by a few points in the last 10 mins or so.

chalky

International Debutant
Why are they rubbish? Do you prefer the stop-start nature of the old rules to the quicker and generally more entertaining pace of the new laws?
From what I have seen in this test there are more stoppages as players are much more willing to give a fee kick rather than a penalty especially noticed this with attacking players not releasing the ball which was previously a good source of counter attack play.

Almoast totally eliminated the line out skill & set moves from line outs.

I do agree with the rule about players not being able to kick for touch if the ball has been passed back in to the 22 metre zone.

But overall not impressed.

Somerset

Cricketer Of The Year
ABs winning 19-8 in the end, personally enjoyed the match, not sure I would've been so thrilled being in the stadium watching. :p Thought that New Zealand were by far the better side in the second half, with only occasional opportunities being created by the Boks. Kaino's disallowed try (which would've given him a double) was a bit odd, he must've been a finger nail ahead of Carter if he was at all. I've seen worse let go.

Somerset

Cricketer Of The Year
From what I have seen in this test there are more stoppages as players are much more willing to give a fee kick rather than a penalty especially noticed this with attacking players not releasing the ball which was previously a good source of counter attack play.

Almoast totally eliminated the line out skill & set moves from line outs.

I do agree with the rule about players not being able to kick for touch if the ball has been passed back in to the 22 metre zone.

But overall not impressed.
Repeated infringments at the breakdown result in yellow cards and players have generally got the message in the Super 14 - wasn't too bad in that area tonight IMO; off the ball incidents and players entering the ruck may have been better policed though. Whether or not there are more stoppages, and I haven't got stats to argue either way, but the games under the ELVs appear much quicker and flow better than in the past.

I wouldn't say it totally eliminates the line out, admittedly it produces less line outs but that aspect still remains a very important part of the game under the new laws. Interesting you mentioned set moves, as the ELVs actually have allowed more space to run the ball at scrum time, creating more opportunities for moves at that set piece.

Somerset

Cricketer Of The Year
Solid punt from Steyn. Shows why the drop goal should be in the game. :p
I remember he slotted one from 60 metres at North Harbour Stadium for the Sharks (when they won the Super 14 in 2007) against the Blues, as well as two crucial D/Gs against Australia in last year's Tri-Nations...he certainly makes the drop goal a real possibility whenever he plays.

Johnners

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
For those who know their Rugby, is Chebal really worth all the hype? Deadset, sick of hearing about the Wallabies taking on "the caveman" like he's the only player in the whole of the northern hemisphere.

Perm

Excellent game tonight, really enjoyed it. I thought there were a few calls that went againt the Springboks that probably shouldn't have, and a fair amount of off the ball stuff that wasn't pulled up. Still, good to see some physicality and passion in an All Blacks test match, unfortunately South Africa were lacking a play-maker at flyhalf and Butch James couldn't get the backline operating smoothly.

Schalk Burger was immense, what a tough bloke. Deadset reckon you could whack him with a steel bar and he wouldn't feel it. I can't beleive that Brad Thorn wasn't given 10 minutes for that 'spear-tackle' early on though, if it had happened when the game was live he almost definitely would've received a yellow card so I was perplexed as to why he didn't after Dickinson had blown his whistle.

Perm

For those who know their Rugby, is Chebal really worth all the hype? Deadset, sick of hearing about the Wallabies taking on "the caveman" like he's the only player in the whole of the northern hemisphere.
Haha, he's created a name for himself just by looking rough and being a physical player. I don't get to follow the domestic rugby in England and France but from what I can gather Chabal was playing some excellent rugby for Sale before he was picked to tour New Zealand last year. Reasonable Test player, but you have to remember that both of the Southern Hemisphere tours he has been on have basically been France 'B'.

Perm

Hakon Mork - Making an effort to understand every sport in the world. Ka pai son.

Johnners

Gits, perfect kick to gift Hynes his first ever try for the Wallabies (y). Looked to be a poor mistake by the french winger though, ball got in behind him way to easily for mine.

Perm

Weather looks very poor in Wellington from the coverage on the news, so hardly expecting a free-flowing match. Credit to the fans that actually decide to attend!
Reckon there is any merit in not showing the game on Sky in the city it's being played in? For example tonight nobody in Wellington would have been able to watch the Test on TV, if they wanted to see it they would have to go to the ground. I think I've heard something similar to this happening in the USA with NFL games and I was thinking about it a bit more today, what are everybody's thoughts on that? Far too many empty seats tonight, even with the miserable weather.

Johnners

Lachlan Turner not having the best of debuts so far. 2nd time he's knocked a ball on iirc, to go with the 'mare of a bomb he put up earlier that went nowhere.

EDIT: Would just like to say that Giteaus kicking game has been awesome in the first 30 minutes, some awesome clearances. Slightly, disappointed we've opted to go for 4 penalty goals though, another try would be nice.

Last edited:

Perm

What an amazing piece of brilliance from Giteau to set up Horwell's try, really been playing some excellent footy lately. I had my doubts about him at flyhalf but he's proven me wrong.

EDIT: Bit of a punch-up here, great to see. Horwell on the receiving end of a couple good ones, his eye has closed over. Haha. Excellent.

Last edited:

BoyBrumby

Englishman
He's good, very solid ball-carrier & will go toe-to-toe (literally on occasions) with the oppo, but is technically quite limited. Not the greatest line-out operator (bit short for a lock where he's played on occasion) and gets turned over in the tackle a bit too often.

If he had short back-and-sides & was clean shaven he wouldn't have half the rep he does.

Johnners

He's good, very solid ball-carrier & will go toe-to-toe (literally on occasions) with the oppo, but is technically quite limited. Not the greatest line-out operator (bit short for a lock where he's played on occasion) and gets turned over in the tackle a bit too often.

If he had short back-and-sides & was clean shaven he wouldn't have half the rep he does.
From what 3/4 games I've seen him play, the last sentence certainly sums him up the best for mine.

Agree with what Perm said re: Giteau, has been amazing tonight, and his work to setup the last try was amazing.

French blew a golden opportunity for a try there as well, and why the hell do you go for a penalty goal when you're 26 points down :blink:

Somerset

Cricketer Of The Year
Really clinical effort from Australia in their match against France so far, up 26-3 at half time. The French look really ragid and their inexperience is showing - I've only seen about six of their starting XV play before.

Harinodequay (sp?) I think it was whose given James Horwell a black eye in a brawl just before the end of the half, been a punch up in both games tonight incidentally.

Somerset

Cricketer Of The Year
French blew a golden opportunity for a try there as well, and why the hell do you go for a penalty goal when you're 26 points down :blink:
I think thats evidence of their chances in the match, pretty defeatist decision to me.