• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

You know what really grinds my cricketing gears?

Richard

Cricket Web Staff Member
Well it's not a pun, Castro is a genuine nickname for Edwards. Bit of an obvious one, but no worse than "Mr Cricket" for Michael Hussey, for instance.

Like almost anything, though, it gets annoying if people go on about it too much, and I agree with my namesake that this happens rather too often for the sake of the non-grinding of gears.

sideshowtim

Banned
Not sure if this has been mentioned, but the "be there at the end" story from the 2003 World Cup that Richie Benaud tells every single time Symonds passes 50 in either form of the game. I swear to God, he tells it at least 5 times every summer...It's quite humorous really.

People who watch a lot of Australian cricket will know what I'm talking about.

Richard

Cricket Web Staff Member
Haha, it must've been mentioned 50 or 60 times. Richie has few faults, but his non-stop banging-on about that story (and it's far from restricted to every time Symonds comes to the wicket, he uses it for an inordinate number of other batsmen too) lets him down big-time.

Big, big-time.

Richard

Cricket Web Staff Member
It's, it's, it's. It can't possibly all be me, me, me can it. 8-)
the inconsistency that irks me.
One man's inconsistent is another man's "not monotonously predictable".
Why isn't Sylvester Joseph "Stalin"
He is, haven't you heard?
or Daren Ganga "Murphy"?
Wrong spelling. In any case - it's like that is it? Thought you and the Murphster were on good terms. Sure it'll be leaked that you compared him to Castro and Stalin some time.

(Just in case anyone doesn't notice - YES, THIS POST IS IN JEST!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Imitating Whelan at his own game, in fact)

Richard

Cricket Web Staff Member
Hmm, while I'd agree that it got very boring very, very, very quickly (I :wallbash:ed any number of times at the fact that 3\4 of the threads on the first page of CC seemed to be about said incidents for several days) I don't think all reaction was neccessarily OTT. Some amount of anger over such a glut of shocking decisions which quite patently altered the outcome of a Test-match is quite justified, IMO.

Prince EWS

Global Moderator
Hmm, while I'd agree that it got very boring very, very, very quickly (I :wallbash:ed any number of times at the fact that 3\4 of the threads on the first page of CC seemed to be about said incidents for several days) I don't think all reaction was neccessarily OTT. Some amount of anger over such a glut of shocking decisions which quite patently altered the outcome of a Test-match is quite justified, IMO.
Agreed, but the fact that it's still being discussed and argued is a bit OTT, IMO.

pasag

RTDAS
Not sure if this is referring to myself and SST's discussion in the official thread, but it's certainly a valid discussion point leading up to the conclusion of the series, especially when it looks like things might go down to the wire. Just because certain people have overreacted, winged and trolled, doesn't mean others aren't allowed to discuss the issue. Especially as it's not that out of place looking at the context of those posts.

Richard

Cricket Web Staff Member
Well I'm not referring to anything recent, I don't read tour threads that move as obscenely fast as that one (you can't have missed that, of course). It just annoyed me for a week or so after the Test that, as I said, more threads than not on the first page of CC were about that Test in some way, shape or form.

As I said in the Staff forum, I got bored of that Test very quickly. I don't mind others discussing it, but when it takes over the board it gets on my nerves somewhat. As I said, though - for me, the time where that was happening has now passed.

The Baconator

International Vice-Captain
Not sure if this has been mentioned, but the "be there at the end" story from the 2003 World Cup that Richie Benaud tells every single time Symonds passes 50 in either form of the game. I swear to God, he tells it at least 5 times every summer...It's quite humorous really.

People who watch a lot of Australian cricket will know what I'm talking about.
Yes, definitely. And he seems to tell it like he thinks we've never heard it before.

LongHopCassidy

International Captain
(Just in case anyone doesn't notice - YES, THIS POST IS IN JEST!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Imitating Whelan at his own game, in fact)
In fairness, I at least had the stimulus of HDS mentioning semantics before I stuck my multi-quoting gob in.

Craig

World Traveller
Deadset worst couple of rants ever.. Moaning about a natural phenomenon that would make us all die if it wasn't there, and having a lot of something you like..
Bloody hell what is your problem? As Richard said it wasn't entirely serious, and I'm even surprised it even got dug up. Hey you can worry about it all you like as obviously your more sadder then I am.

Last edited:

Tony

School Boy/Girl Cricketer
McGrath used to do it and Brett Lee does it - hitting a batsman on the pads and just running through to hug Gilchrist without appealing for LBW to the umpire. Close to worst behaviour in the game I reckon.

andruid

Cricketer Of The Year
McGrath used to do it and Brett Lee does it - hitting a batsman on the pads and just running through to hug Gilchrist without appealing for LBW to the umpire. Close to worst behaviour in the game I reckon.
Given the opportunity I would probably do the same:ph34r: