• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

***Official*** India in Australia

Evermind

International Debutant
The Indian bowlers' lack of pace really helps here. The conditions are good for swing, and the Australian bowlers bowl too fast to take adequate advantage of it. The ideal bowling speed for swing is 117 kph, and I believe above 140 kph it's very hard to make it swing.

Pathan bowls in the mid-to-high 120s, which is ideal to bowl good swing - and the ball was swinging pretty outrageously.

Top_Cat

Request Your Custom Title Now!
The Indian bowlers' lack of pace really helps here. The conditions are good for swing, and the Australian bowlers bowl too fast to take adequate advantage of it. The ideal bowling speed for swing is 117 kph, and I believe above 140 kph it's very hard to make it swing.
117 km/h is the ideal swing speed? Where did you pull that figure from?!

Laurrz

International Debutant

Pathan bowls in the mid-to-high 120s, which is ideal to bowl good swing - and the ball was swinging pretty outrageously.
yea one thing Aussies dont have is a genuine swing bowler

burr

State Vice-Captain
Yep - they're really missing Hayden today.

Anyway just watch Australia get to 350+ anyway. Australia aren't out till they've lost their last wicket, and India aren't in until they've taken every single wicket. How many times have we watched India steal a defeat from the jaws of victory, and Australia do the opposite? One has to observe not just the state of affairs, but also the general tendencies.
that's v. true about the Aus part - they always manage to dig themselves out of trouble. Hope India gets about a 100-150 run lead though, set up for a great test then.

Burgey

A 40+ degree day isn't exactly swing-friendly and they're struggling with the swing....

Fact is, Australia have traditionally struggled a bit more than other teams when the ball is swinging and it's a simple matter of, being a hot country and all, not having a huge amount of experience against quality swing bowling. Most Aussie domestic bowlers are seam-up pacers.
That's a good point, but I think a lot of modern batsmen struggle witht he swinging ball because these days it doesn't swing that often. They just pick the line and swing through it. Often they can do it with impunity.
Players don't seem to "play the second line" as much as they used to, and there don't seem to be as many guys who play the ball late, either.

Prince EWS

Global Moderator

Are the conditions actually really good for swing, though? Is there anything to suggest they should be? Blistering dry heat under blue skies on a sunny day.. I don't see how that suggests the conditions are especially favourable. The Indian bowlers simply bowled well and created the swing IMO - I don't think the conditions have been particularly favourable.

Top_Cat

That's a good point, but I think a lot of modern batsmen struggle witht he swinging ball because these days it doesn't swing that often. They just pick the line and swing through it. Often they can do it with impunity.
Players don't seem to "play the second line" as much as they used to, and there don't seem to be as many guys who play the ball late, either.
SAWTA. I wrote an article on the exact topic for CW when I was a staff member a few years ago. :D

Evermind

International Debutant
Everything you say is right, and I have the exact same views. But its how you say it, the condescending tone, the fact that you even refuse to praise India whenever they do well.
We have a different definitions of doing well, then. To me, doing well is winning series convincingly overseas, winning matches. Doing well is reversing a position of disadvantage, and pressing home the advantage. I guess it doesn't happen overnight, and India have taken some baby steps in doing well. To me, Tendulkar's previous century in Perth is "doing well".

Doing well isn't scoring centuries in dead-rubber dust-bowl flat-track draws, doing well is not about winning inconsequential mini-battles.

India have bowled pretty well so far, for what it's worth.