• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

John Wright ODI record?

Perm

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
Richard would argue he was a poor batsman to begin with TBH.

After 1995 he's averaged 35+ more a case in that this guy has been playing cricket as long as I've been alive than anything else.
I think there was a discussion about Jayasuriya, and Richard was claiming Nick Knight to be a better ODI batsman than him. As we've seen in the past, Strike Rates for batsman don't matter to Richard but Economy Rates for bowlers are the most important statistic.

Fiery

Banned
is/was. Depends whether you are talking about his whole career, or at the moment.
Well if you want to argue about it ...we were talking about both really. He's still as good as he's ever been. You were talking about him in the past tense like you had travelled forward in time and he was a former player

Last edited:

Perm

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
Well if you want to argue about it ...we were talking about both really. He's still as good as he's ever been. You were talking about him in the past tense like you had travelled forward in time and he was a former player
My mistake then. Apologies.

Prince EWS

Global Moderator
He was the first that sprang to my mind.

How about Andrew Symonds is better than Jayasuria, Astle and De Silva? No wait, he could argue that. Sehwag?
As much as I dislike him as a player; yes, Symonds is better than that other lot. Sehwag only averages about 32 himself so I don't see your point with him.

Richard

Cricket Web Staff Member
I did say or so, and Astle and Aravinda both average no more than a fraction less. In any case, both had massive careers and one simple overall average is never going to tell you that much about either.

In the Jayasuriya case, he does average well over 35 as an opener, which combined with his strike-rate makes him a fantastic, fantastic player.

Richard

Cricket Web Staff Member
I think there was a discussion about Jayasuriya, and Richard was claiming Nick Knight to be a better ODI batsman than him. As we've seen in the past, Strike Rates for batsman don't matter to Richard but Economy Rates for bowlers are the most important statistic.
Nick Knight's career is a better one than Jayasuriya's - has Jayasuriya gone to Australia, West Indies and South Africa and scored heaps of runs against said sides? No. Hence, I know which one I'd rather.

Richard

Cricket Web Staff Member
Adam Parore, Chris Harris, Chris Cairns, Mark Greatbatch, Lou Vincent, Jacob Oram, Brendon McCullum & Craig McMillan all average/averaged under 30 at ODI level but were still are/were effective for NZ.
Greatbatch was before my time but as I understand it he's particularly famous for one tournament and not much else.

Vincent is crap in ODIs AFAIC, you know my feelings here. Likewise McCullum. Sure, they've both played some decent knocks but you're bound to if you get enough chances.

McMillan always disappointed me, hugely. Should've done far more with his ODI career, often seemed more concerned about playing shots than scoring runs.

Oram was pretty awful until very recently, and hopefully the recent will continue from now on.

Cairns, Parore and Harris all averaged over 30 for much of their careers, and were all in any case lower-order batsmen, who will usually be forced into lower averages due to generally less time to bat.

Richard

Cricket Web Staff Member
Frankly, that's bollocks. Cairns on his day was as good as anyone in the world
He could play innings that most people could not play, but there are many, many batsmen I'd take in front of him because he did not do it as often as many.

Richard

Cricket Web Staff Member
He was the first that sprang to my mind.

How about Andrew Symonds is better than Jayasuria, Astle and De Silva? No wait, he could argue that. Sehwag?
Andrew Symonds, sadly, has done better than all of them these days. :( But Sehwag doesn't even come close.

Somerset

Cricketer Of The Year
Greatbatch was before my time but as I understand it he's particularly famous for one tournament and not much else.

Vincent is crap in ODIs AFAIC, you know my feelings here. Likewise McCullum. Sure, they've both played some decent knocks but you're bound to if you get enough chances.

McMillan always disappointed me, hugely. Should've done far more with his ODI career, often seemed more concerned about playing shots than scoring runs.

Oram was pretty awful until very recently, and hopefully the recent will continue from now on.

Cairns, Parore and Harris all averaged over 30 for much of their careers, and were all in any case lower-order batsmen, who will usually be forced into lower averages due to generally less time to bat.
Bit harsh on a few counts there as well. McMillan in the last 12 months could almost be regarded as out best ODI and 20-20 player. Oram as a batsman has been highly regarded for more than just "very recently". Cairns, Parore, Harris often came in at 6-7-8 and if they all averaged 35 that low in the order you'd hardly worry about a few early wickets lost. Cairns had and always will have a massive reputation and just because his average doesn't measure up shouldn't take any of that away.

Richard

Cricket Web Staff Member
Bit harsh on a few counts there as well. McMillan in the last 12 months could almost be regarded as out best ODI and 20-20 player.
In the last 12 months, yes - sadly, he was a gross underachiever for most of the rest of his career.
Oram as a batsman has been highly regarded for more than just "very recently".
He's been highly regarded, but it's only very recently that he's started to live-up to this in ODIs. For a long, long time he did nothing with the bat in said format.
Cairns, Parore, Harris often came in at 6-7-8 and if they all averaged 35 that low in the order you'd hardly worry about a few early wickets lost.
I said that, didn't I? :mellow:
Cairns had and always will have a massive reputation and just because his average doesn't measure up shouldn't take any of that away.
I think it should, TBH - Cairns could IMO have done more, but of times got carried-away. Nonetheless, sometimes the situation (ie, coming in very late on) didn't help him.

shortpitched713

International Captain
Which makes about as much sense as quantum muffins, tbh.