• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

aussie academy tours india.

brockley

International Captain
Hilditch picks 13-man squad for tour to India

Harris and Simpson benefit from Academy changes

Cricinfo staff

August 8, 2007

South Australia's Ryan Harris will spend the next three weeks in India after being picked in the Centre of Excellence squad © Getty Images

The selection of the Australia A squad for Pakistan and three suspensions have forced a series of reshuffles for the Centre of Excellence's three-week tour to India starting on Friday. Luke Ronchi, Cullen Bailey and Dan Cullen have been promoted after spending the winter at the Academy while Mark Cosgrove, David Warner and Aaron Finch were not considered after being punished for continually untidy rooms during their stays in Brisbane.

Grant Sullivan, the Queensland fast bowler, has been ruled out with a shin problem, leaving Andrew Hilditch, the chairman of selectors, to look to the first-class players Ryan Harris and Chris Simpson to fill two gaps. Michael Hill and Phillip Hughes, the impressive young batsmen who were part of the Emerging Players Tournament, and Steve Smith have also been added to the 13-man squad.

"Steve is an exciting 18-year-old legspinning allrounder, who along with Hughes and Hill is expected to come into contention for a spot in the 2008 Under-19 World Cup in Malaysia," Brian McFadyen, the interim head coach, said. The squad will leave on Friday to prepare for the five-match series in Chennai involving the Punjab, Andhra, and Tamil Nadu Cricket Association President's XI teams. The three-day games are planned between August 16 and September 3.

McFadyen said the tournament was a great opportunity to experience high-quality opponents in unfamiliar conditions. "The tour is the pinnacle of the programme," he said, "and is seen by Cricket Australia as an important element in the pathway to becoming an international cricketer."

Simpson was the leading spin bowler in the FR Cup last season with 16 wickets at 28.37. "We didn't have a tour the year I spent at the Academy so this will be a bit of a thrill,'' Simpson said. "It's going to be interesting for me as a slow bowler seeing how I adapt to the conditions."

Academy squad Ed Cowan (NSW), Ben Cutting (Qld), Brendan Drew (Tas), Shawn Gillies (WA), Ryan Harris (SA), Aaron Heal (WA), Michael Hill (Vic), Phillip Hughes (NSW), Craig Philipson (Qld), Luke Pomersbach (WA), Chris Simpson (Qld), Steve Smith (NSW), Matthew Wade (Vic).

© Cricinf

Mister Wright

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
Good to see Phillipson in the side, hopefully he can be a consistent performer this year for QLD.

Mister Wright

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
That's exactly what I was going to say when I noticed he was selected too. Pomersbach has something about him too IMO.
Good to see he's not out of the selectors' minds. He really needed a good season last year but didn't deliver. Hopefully this season.

chaminda_00

Hall of Fame Member
No Moey? Aww :(

Still looking forward to the Aussie A/Academy games though. Love it.
Moses playing A's i think. Disappointed no Peter Forrest in the squad personally. Also love to see Tom Cooper. I guess Smith, Cowan and Hughes is decent enough from NSW.

sideshowtim

Banned
I went to high school with Pete Forrest :D Plays for my local area in club too. Legend. I was glad to see him do well in his first FC match last season. Would've been nice to see him in the squad, I agree. Alot of competition for places in sides like this...

brockley

International Captain
moises henriques was only a part time scholar whereas gillies is a full time scholar,thats the difference,still they should have picked him its only a 13 man squad.

Julian87

State Captain
I think Cooper is better than Hughes. But Phil Hughes has had a wrap on him since being 12 years old.

brockley

International Captain
Will be interesting if jaques goes on test duty who will get the nod.
Gotta say smith's selection is a fore runner of him being picked in the australia under 19 side,he may also get a chance with the blues if haurie and casson don't fire.
Henriques has his one day place but will have to work hard to displace lamber who had a good season last season.
Hughes averaged 39 in the academy series was our 2nbd best batsmen behind ronchi,boy will he ever have a good world cup.

NUFAN

Y no Afghanistan flag
Will be interesting if jaques goes on test duty who will get the nod.
Gotta say smith's selection is a fore runner of him being picked in the australia under 19 side,he may also get a chance with the blues if haurie and casson don't fire.
Henriques has his one day place but will have to work hard to displace lamber who had a good season last season.
Hughes averaged 39 in the academy series was our 2nbd best batsmen behind ronchi,boy will he ever have a good world cup.
I hope he doesn't make the test squad. He goes through too many poor patches, and his fielding isn't good. Of course when in form he's excellent, but I would much rather Hussey opening with Hodge into the middle order.

Definately exciting times at NSW this upcoming year though.

DaViet

Cricket Spectator
no moises? oh man

As for jaques, I agree with yu nufan, but I rather see him there and hussey in the middle, hussey can adapt well, but from what I saw in hodge at test level, he can lose his head too easily