• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Official Rugby Thread

Fiery

Banned
Don't rate Butch James at all FWIW. Impressive physique, but very limited for a fly-half. Seems to be the way the saffies are going; get some absolute beasts on the paddock and win the game up front.
Yeah, I'm surprised he's in there too. Certainly don't rate his no-arms tackling style (although this has improved) but he's a bit of a plodder on attack.

Perm

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
Don't rate Butch James at all FWIW. Impressive physique, but very limited for a fly-half. Seems to be the way the saffies are going; get some absolute beasts on the paddock and win the game up front.
I don't rate him either and I think Andre Pretorius is a much better bet, reasonably safe on defence, solid kicking game and pulls out something amazing things on attack. His deficiencies in attack shouldn't be as noticably with two very talented players in Jean de Villiers and Jaque Fourie outside him, both of whom are very good attackers IMO.

KennyD

International Vice-Captain
Yeah, plodders. Its seems to be in South Africa that every man and his dog that has pulled on the no.10 shirt has seen time in Springboks setup. Butch, Jaco, Pretorius, and in the past the constant battles between Braam van Stratum and Jannie.

Anyway Butch is the best defender of the lot, is 100kg. Agree with Brumbie's post.

Perm

Yeah, plodders. Its seems to be in South Africa that every man and his dog that has pulled on the no.10 shirt has seen time in Springboks setup. Butch, Jaco, Pretorius, and in the past the constant battles between Braam van Stratum and Jannie.

Anyway Butch is the best defender of the lot, is 100kg. Agree with Brumbie's post.
He isn't a plodder.

KennyD

International Vice-Captain
Oh yeah, didn't mean Pretorius. Just tried to say that there are always heaps of no.10s that are vying for SA flyhalf shirt. Might as well throw Steyn in there as well.

Perm

I've always been a Rico Gear fan, very surprised he has decided to go overseas but with Rokocoko and Sivivatu likely to be our top choice wingers for a few years to come it is understandable. Just another guy hunting the big bucks.

BoyBrumby

Englishman
Looking forward to today's game. Think if NZ can get something appraoching parity of possession they'll win at a canter. It's a huge if tho. In the ABs favour is that Gary Botha's throwing into the line-out isn't anywhere near as good as Smit's.

Expect Butch James and/or Schalk Burger to hit Dan Carter early on, but maybe a bit late too, if you catch my meaning.

James

Cricket Web Owner
This is not looking good for the All Blacks.

SA forwards all over the All Blacks forwards and as usual Oliver can't throw into a lineout.

BoyBrumby

Englishman
Bit of a sucker punch at the end of the half there. If Daniel had his kicking boots with him tho it would be a very different story.

Burger must be the most punchable man in world Rugby just now too; he's like a cross between a hyperactive school bully & the village idiot. Every tackle he seems to make is head-high.

Fiery

Banned
I'm not sure who many warnings you get for cheating but SA were in our back-line and infringing constantly every break-down all 1st half. Ref needs to get some cards out soon

BoyBrumby

Englishman
I'm not sure who many warnings you get for cheating but SA were in our back-line and infringing constantly every break-down all 1st half. Ref needs to get some cards out soon
Rolland likes a free-flowing game, but yer yarpies are taking the Mickey Bliss.