• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

**Official** India in Bangladesh

Manee

Cricketer Of The Year
Kumble does it again. He really is special.

EDIT: 58/5 at stumps. India have three days to take 15 wickets with five bowlers, this really should be an easy win for India.

Last edited:

Turbinator

Cricketer Of The Year
Very well played India.

Just in case anyone who didn't watch the game and is wondering the average speeds of the Indian bowlers.

Zaheer: about 134 kph.
Ishant: about 135-136 kph.
RP Singh: about 137 kph.

Ishant and RP both, occasionally, touched 140 kph.

Manee

Cricketer Of The Year
I think that is perfect. I think that VRV needs to take the tearaway raw pace role, in the occasion he is picked, which should not be every game, since Zaheer, Ishant, RP Singh all seem to be accurate, swinging (or bouncing in Ishant's case) RFM and LFM bowlers who can bowl most of the overs with the aid of spinners.

In case anyone does not know, that translates to:

Zaheer: about 83.75 mph
Ishant: about 84 - 85 mph
RP Singh: about 85.5 mph.

Ishant and RP both, occasionally, touched 87.5 mph

jeevan

International 12th Man
Bold captaincy from Dravid again. With 3 days and 16 overs to go, and only 3 wickets down - a safer approach would've been to bat out the day and another hour on day 3 and put up about 700-750.

Instead he put faith in bowlers too, they rose to the task, and we are at 610/3 & 53/5 (instead of say 675/4).

With a wee bit of luck (or fielding up to international standards) could've been something like 40/6 or 40/7.

Manee

Cricketer Of The Year
India should be able to wrap Bangladesh up at least by the end of day three. Five wickets in a day is not hard (well, it is for Bangladesh:)). Then giving the spinners a go on day four and five should leave India with an easy win.

R_D

International Debutant
India should be able to wrap Bangladesh up at least by the end of day three. Five wickets in a day is not hard (well, it is for Bangladesh:)). Then giving the spinners a go on day four and five should leave India with an easy win.
apparently rain forecast for last 2 days of the test... lets hope it stays away.. otherwise those 2 misses today could prove costly.

Manee

Cricketer Of The Year
Luck is hard to define. For a country like Australia, luck doesn't seem to come into the equation since they've won the last three world cups, won the ashes (and besides 2005, had done so for a while) and the champions trophy.

Sachin Tendulkar's recent failures to dominate average attacks are often exaggerated by the weight of his reputation: a slow, passive century from Tendulkar would still be a solid knock by someone else, it is said. There must be truth to it but the manner in which he crawled to a century today has left even that argument open to doubt. Today's was a solid, honest Test century - for a debutant, not for someone playing his 137th Test.
Truly, I am Tendulkar's number one critic but this article is a load of rubbish. For one, it is no secret that he is weak against left arm off spin bowling. Secondly, he scored a hundred didn't he and a hundred is a hundred isn't it.

Secondly, they compare his knocks in speed to Karthik and Dravid and say that Tendulkar was far slower than them. Consider that they were both on 80 and he was not, surely a batsman can score far quicker when they have had a good look of the pitch and have already amassed a large fifty. Also, he does not have a conversion rate of almost 50% for nothing, he is careful to make sure he reaches hundreds, is that a crime?

I am aware Tendulkar is not the batsman he once was, but what the person who wrote the article must understand, is that you cannot criticise a hundred scored at a strike rate of over fifty. He gave chances away, but was resiliant not to let them bother him and he continued to concentrate through what he found to be a tough innings.

Dasa

International Vice-Captain
Yeah, agreed, strange article to come out with now. It really pisses me off when people go on about scoring rate in Tests...it's rarely an issue, and India's best batsman of the last few years has traditionally scored slowly. I don't know why Cricinfo'd come out with an article criticising Tendulkar now, when he's actually scoring runs. It makes it seem like they have a specific axe to grind, and the tone of the article comes off as rather petty imo.

Personally, although I'd love to see Tendulkar smash the ball to all parts as he used to do in his pomp, I don't think it matters if he's scoring slowly and looking uncomfortable at times as long as the runs are coming. It'll be interesting to see how he goes in England anyway - in South Africa, on far more difficult pitches and against far better bowlers, he didn't do too badly nor did he score excessively slowly either.

Last edited:

Anil

Hall of Fame Member
Truly, I am Tendulkar's number one critic but this article is a load of rubbish. For one, it is no secret that he is weak against left arm off spin bowling. Secondly, he scored a hundred didn't he and a hundred is a hundred isn't it.
i don't think you can rubbish away the whole article...his century is a nice addition to his record 100s collection and his imposing pile of international runs but that article showed the significant difference between his approach and that of the other batsmen...it might not make that much of a difference against bangladesh but against the quality teams, it certainly could....in fact this batting lineup(with the honorable exception of dravid) including tendulkar has been getting exposed in "less friendly" conditions in the recent past....and i would not take these dominant batting performances as a sign of any sort of resurgence until they(and he) actually do it against a good team....

Last edited:

Dasa

International Vice-Captain
i don't think you can rubbish away the whole article...his century is a nice addition to his record 100s collection and his imposing pile of international runs but that article showed the significant difference between his approach and that of the other batsmen...it might not make that much of a difference against bangladesh but against the quality teams, it certainly could....in fact this batting lineup(with the honorable exception of dravid) including tendulkar has been getting exposed in "less friendly" conditions in the recent past....and i would not take these dominant batting performances as a sign of any sort of resurgence until they(and he) actually do it against a good team....
Have to disagree with that part in particular. Dravid failed in South Africa while Tendulkar didn't play in the West Indies. In that Test India lost at home against England, everyone failed. Anyway, my issue isn't with the content of the article so much...there are some valid criticisms although I generally disagree with them...it's that the tone of the article is overly negative imo and I find the timing of it perplexing.

Anil

Hall of Fame Member
Yeah, agreed, strange article to come out with now. It really pisses me off when people go on about scoring rate in Tests...it's rarely an issue, and India's best batsman of the last few years has traditionally scored slowly. I don't know why Cricinfo'd come out with an article criticising Tendulkar now, when he's actually scoring runs. It makes it seem like they have a specific axe to grind, and the tone of the article comes off as rather petty imo.

Personally, although I'd love to see Tendulkar smash the ball to all parts as he used to do in his pomp, I don't think it matters if he's scoring slowly and looking uncomfortable at times as long as the runs are coming. It'll be interesting to see how he goes in England anyway - in South Africa, on far more difficult pitches and against far better bowlers, he didn't do too badly nor did he score excessively slowly either.
it's not really as simple as that and you know it...in this case, you are talking about the most experienced batsman in cricket today and he is facing the weakest side(if you don't count the zimbabwe club side as an international team) in international cricket in conditions that offer little to no help to the bowlers and with your team completely on top...