• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

South Asia's natural game

Richard

Cricket Web Staff Member
So are ODI games actually sellouts? I didn't know that - I had thought attendances were down for both forms of the game in the subcontinent, and that somehow, TV had just become the predominant way of watching the game for many.
What? Seriously? :blink:

I'm astounded, TBH. Not a chance, probably ever, of such a thing. ODIs are without-fail sellouts just about everywhere in The World (well, except Australia). And more so than ever in the subcontinent.

GIMH

Norwood's on Fire
Fat chance. We can win the WC, and though I'd be happy, I would hardly be ecstatic. I'll take a draw or win in England this summer over a WC win any day of the week. The sad part is that even players are starting to put the two forms on equal footing, and I shudder to think of the attitudes twenty years from now.

I feel increasingly alienated from the Indian team...I need to adopt a new nation. How about England? They could use more Fletcher-bashing fans on their side.
Your apathy with one-day Cricket would certainly stand you in good stead should we return to our form of 06. And let's face it, we are good at Test Cricket, so if you're not going to support the crims, we are your best bet.

silentstriker

The Wheel is Forever
Your apathy with one-day Cricket would certainly stand you in good stead should we return to our form of 06. And let's face it, we are good at Test Cricket, so if you're not going to support the crims, we are your best bet.
Yea, England would be a natural choice. My second favorite team is in the first boat as the first (Pakistan), so my #3 team (England) would have to do. Because otherwise, the only choice is Australia in terms of the teams I like.

Richard

Cricket Web Staff Member
I do accept it - doesn't mean I like it. And no, it doesn't make it more sweet. I'll take dominance any day of the week.
You should read Gideon Haigh's "A Golden Age, Yellowing At The Edges" from Wisden 2005.

Too much dominance is boring and alienates the public.

silentstriker

The Wheel is Forever
You should read Gideon Haigh's "A Golden Age, Yellowing At The Edges" from Wisden 2005.

When you've been sucking for 70 years, a little dominance can't hurt. And I don't care who it alienates, I want to win.

Matt79

Global Moderator

Actually, as a rule, we get quite good crowds as a rule, people love watching the games, and we only get upset when we lose a match. :p ;)

Richard

Cricket Web Staff Member
When you've been sucking for 70 years, a little dominance can't hurt. And I don't care who it alienates, I want to win.
What's wrong with being near-unbeatable at home and near-un-not-beatable away?

IMO cricket needs it's age-old truths. I'm happy with touring India\Sri Lanka being the truest test of one's this-and-that and playing them at home being a series you expect to win.

I don't know how I'd react to such things changing.

Richard

Cricket Web Staff Member
Actually, as a rule, we get quite good crowds as a rule, people love watching the games, and we only get upset when we lose a match. :p ;)
Yeah, as a rule...

Remind me, how many learned people said losing The Ashes did Australian cricket a great service?

silentstriker

The Wheel is Forever
What's wrong with being near-unbeatable at home and near-un-not-beatable away?
Because its dire, and as teams become more and more adapted to the subcontinental conditions, it will get harder and harder to keep that advantage. Teams are already playing us closer than every before, and its a matter of time.

Plus, I want some decent fast bowlers, thanks. You can have dominance at home and crap away. I'll take a more balanced approach any day of the week.