• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Nathan Astle Retired

Bahnz

Hall of Fame Member
While Crowe may have been our best ODI batsman, Astle was certainly our greatest. 16 hundreds (and could have easily had 4 or 5 more, given how many times he got out in the 90's), compared to Crowe's 4. Unlike many of his team mates, Astle was always quiet, modest and good natured. A team player, a fantastic all round talent, and a champion of New Zealand cricket. He will be missed.

Dick Rockett

International Vice-Captain
I count Crowe as being a better one day batsman than Astle simply because Crowe generally faced a better class of bowler in his day, and didn't have the luxury of as many games against minnows. One day international hundreds were also a much scarcer commodity back then - I remember looking at Desmond Haynes' record and being in awe. "17 centuries? The man's a legend!"

I consider Astle probably our second best, and my fond memories of his one-day exploits are far fresher and numerous than any I have of Crowe. Will be missed :(

Matt52

U19 Vice-Captain
Got to respect the guy for retiring when he lost motivation. He could ahve carried on to the world cup and maybe not performed so well, but he did what was best for the team.

Its a bit of a shock though. I just always assumed that the world cup was the perfect time for him to go. One of my favourite cricketers. Sad to see him go, and a sad day for NZ cricket.

This really throws the world cup plans into doubt. I think that Vincent will have to show some form pretty quickly.

I remember we were talking about Vincent and Ryder coming in when Astle and Fleming retire just recently and here it is.

meatspx

U19 Cricketer
A bit of a shock....but if he's not enjoying himself anymore then that makes it much more difficult to get out of that form slump.

Considering his poor WC record it could it might be a blessing in disguise if Vincent can make the best of his opportunity.

In the last 10 years it seems that Astle has been the only NZer who could bat the 'full 50 overs' and anchor the innings. Congrats on a great career.

Macka

U19 Vice-Captain
I regret not going to Jade Stadium to watch NZ play against England in 2002. Damn my lack of vision...

Strange time to retire, especially considering the state of the NZ ODI team and the world cup being so close. But if you're not enjoying it, fair enough. Good to see Vincent picked, though.

I think Astle's scored 10 more ODI centuries than the next NZer (Fleming with a pretty pathetic 6 from the 450,145 games he's played). Definitely one of NZ's top 3 ODI players ever, although that's not saying a heck of a lot admittedly.

FRAZ

International Captain
A FIGHTER ! A good batsman though not the best to come outta Newzealand but still one of their elite batsmen .....

tooextracool

International Coach
I count Crowe as being a better one day batsman than Astle simply because Crowe generally faced a better class of bowler in his day, and didn't have the luxury of as many games against minnows. One day international hundreds were also a much scarcer commodity back then - I remember looking at Desmond Haynes' record and being in awe. "17 centuries? The man's a legend!"

I consider Astle probably our second best, and my fond memories of his one-day exploits are far fresher and numerous than any I have of Crowe. Will be missed :(
Does anybody remember this one guy named Roger twose? For mine hes at least the equal of Martin Crowe and had he played more ODI cricket he would have probably been a bit better.

_Ed_

Request Your Custom Title Now!
I hate TV News here, they just said he "can't be bothered staying around for the World Cup."

Can't they actually praise a New Zealand cricketer for once? If he doesn't deserve it no one does.

tooextracool

International Coach
Have to say ive always thought Nathan Astle could have achieved far more than he actually did especially in ODIs. He had a decent technique, a really great eye, the ability to smash the ball all over the park and could play almost any stroke in the book. On his day he could dominate any side in the world on any wicket(his 222 was mind blowing and really i kept thinking that it had to end but it went on and on) and its just a shame that he ended up merely an ok player when he could have been very very good. Towards the end though he was a shadow of the player that he used to be and you could see it coming very soon even if only after the world cup.

Craig

World Traveller
I hate TV News here, they just said he "can't be bothered staying around for the World Cup."

Can't they actually praise a New Zealand cricketer for once? If he doesn't deserve it no one does.
And if he were an All Black they would have been tripping up over themselves to praise him and kiss his rear end?

Anyway it is sad to see him go and was such a shock, I suppose it is better to go know then get dropped. Amazed he has been able to comeback after all the knee injuries he had.

Would somebody like Jesse Ryder been a much better call-up instead?

Fiery

Banned
Would somebody like Jesse Ryder been a much better call-up instead?
Jesse Ryder's name has been overused in this forum. Why are we still talking about him? He's not even in the World Cup train-on squad of 30 and unless he has a complete change of attitude from being an obese waster to getting fit, physically and mentally, in the next few years he'll never be in the side

Will Scarlet

U19 Debutant
Cheers Nath

Congratulations to Astle on a fantastic career, not just as an ODI player. His choice to retire now is testament to his great general attitude: to do the best for the team.

Good luck to him in the future. NZC would do well to keep him around.

Perm

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
Sad to see him go but it's a very noble retirement, there's no point in a player continuing their career when the passion for the game has gone. I still remember being at my uncle's house and listening to Astle's 222 on the radio, absolutely amazing innings.