• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Tips for bowling effectively (ICC 2002)

krkode

State Captain
So bowling has usually been the least interesting part of my ICC playing... usually I set a certain aggression (1 less than max for tests and half-way for ODIs) and I bowl 2 fast bowlers in tandem for about 7-8 overs each and then I bowl 2 spinners in tandem for about 20-25 overs each and repeat until the opposition is bowled out.

Usually I play with Warwickshire - so I have Giles and one overseas spinner usually pulling in a big haul.

Naturally, I'm finding this a little unsatisfying. Most games I can win, but there will be times when I can't defend a 300+ ODI total or some other nonsense like that in FC games or tests because I am not strategizing my bowling properly.

I see that field placement changes with each level of aggression that you change on the bowler's meter so I've never really messed with those. Should I look into modifying fields? I guess if a batsman has an offside preference I just put more guys on the offside?

Usually I am a very stat-oriented person so I like to get through my games fast (all highlights off!) and just blow through whole seasons really quickly rather than spend a lot of time on each game, but sometimes I like to play the odd slow game in which I meticulously play the captain's role. 8-)

So, how do you guys do it?

Shri

Mr. Glass
So bowling has usually been the least interesting part of my ICC playing... usually I set a certain aggression (1 less than max for tests and half-way for ODIs) and I bowl 2 fast bowlers in tandem for about 7-8 overs each and then I bowl 2 spinners in tandem for about 20-25 overs each and repeat until the opposition is bowled out.

Usually I play with Warwickshire - so I have Giles and one overseas spinner usually pulling in a big haul.

Naturally, I'm finding this a little unsatisfying. Most games I can win, but there will be times when I can't defend a 300+ ODI total or some other nonsense like that in FC games or tests because I am not strategizing my bowling properly.

I see that field placement changes with each level of aggression that you change on the bowler's meter so I've never really messed with those. Should I look into modifying fields? I guess if a batsman has an offside preference I just put more guys on the offside?

Usually I am a very stat-oriented person so I like to get through my games fast (all highlights off!) and just blow through whole seasons really quickly rather than spend a lot of time on each game, but sometimes I like to play the odd slow game in which I meticulously play the captain's role. 8-)

So, how do you guys do it?
If a batsman is playing a really big innings when wickets are falling around him, take a look at his wagon wheel and place fielders in his favourite scoring areas. It would slow his scoring down really well and you can wrap up the tail at the other end. Sometimes the batsman will throw his wicket away in frustration. Will be really interesting to try it in the last session of a test match or a FC game. I have won a few tense games that way. Cheers mate.:)

bryce

International Regular
I find that leaving the bowling agression on three bars seems to have the best results. Also take into account what sort of bowlers the pitch is favouring and what preferences the batsman has - i.e say if a batsman has a strong pace bowling preference I would normally try and keep at least one spinner bowling to him, especially sometime early on in his innings. For defending big totals I find rotating your bowlers quite a bit more than you usually would is an effective ploy