• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

ICC 2006 Impressions

marc71178

Eyes not spreadsheets
So how is it easy to add such things into the current (2005) game then?

When ICC first came out, the obsession with stats was nowhere near what it is now, so they didn't put them in.

Timewell

U19 Debutant
marc71178 said:
So how is it easy to add such things into the current (2005) game then?

When ICC first came out, the obsession with stats was nowhere near what it is now, so they didn't put them in.
Firstly, I believe the current game is 2006! :)

When ICC first came out TEN YEARS AGO (may be slightly less), I agree the 'obsession' with stats was not what it is now - but there were no cricket management games back then. ICC was the first and, therefore, everyone rallied round it. Now there is some form of competition from various games and ICC is still the same game (give or take a few things - like the interface and there being a few more options etc) as it was 10 years ago - it has not developed, the developers have not been doing their job! So are you saying that the developers are basing their decisions on what to include in the game on what was when it first released!? Just because 'stats' weren't an obsession when it first came out, does not give them an excuse for not even bothering to do something. Do they not take their customer's opinions into account?

Now, I really liked ICC but, in the end, the fact that it is a pretty much dormant game where you are charged £20 for what is, essentially, a data update. Now, I know ICC are releasing 3 versions within a year so something must be happening...but...slowly they are burning bridges by their lack of updates. The good people at Sports Interactive manage to put a 'new' game out every 2/3 years and their yearly version nearly always has some significant changes in it. You would have expected ICC to have changed somewhat since its current interface came out but it hasn't. That is the main gripe that most who criticise it have.

marc71178

Eyes not spreadsheets
Timewell said:
Firstly, I believe the current game is 2006! :)
Yes, but I was talking about adding things into the game they were working from, which was 2005.

Timewell said:
When ICC first came out TEN YEARS AGO (may be slightly less), I agree the 'obsession' with stats was not what it is now - but there were no cricket management games back then. ICC was the first and, therefore, everyone rallied round it. Now there is some form of competition from various games and ICC is still the same game (give or take a few things - like the interface and there being a few more options etc) as it was 10 years ago - it has not developed, the developers have not been doing their job!
What developers?

IIRC wasn't the whole project dead and it was onlt because Dan and Chris did unpaid work it ever came back?

There was certainly no money thrown at it, so how can you expect miracles?

Timewell said:
The good people at Sports Interactive manage to put a 'new' game out every 2/3 years and their yearly version nearly always has some significant changes in it. You would have expected ICC to have changed somewhat since its current interface came out but it hasn't. That is the main gripe that most who criticise it have.
Yes, but then again they happen to working in a far more globally marketable game and have the backing of publishers and the like.

Makes it a tad easier I'm sure you'd agree.

Sunny Mehta

Cricket Spectator
darko21 said:
Since the developers have said that ICC 2007 will be overhauled and new features, I will list my ultimate ICC wishlist.

- More domestic teams - All test-playing nations and their domestic teams.
- More depth - under 19s, minnows, 'A' side matches.
- Career Record tracking - including not just FC and TEST records but all records constantly updated with Top 10 team/world rankings in runs/wickets/matches etc.
- More 6s in the game!
- Player events - Early retirements, career ending injuries, personal reasons to not tour, retirement from one version of the game (eg. only Test player).
- Team events - eg. the Zimbabwe crisis, teams banned, players banned, coaching problems, new grounds becoming available etc.
- Custom made pitches - ability to change pitches before series/season.
- More player info - birthplace, relations, specialties (leadership, fielding, stamina etc.), junior level stats, season-by-season stats (runs/wickets/catches in each season), former clubs, records held by player (either World or user stats).
- Photos put back into profiles!
- Multi-cultural players - eg. India/Pakistan born players with Aus citizenship, indigenous Australians etc.
- In-Built editor - change or create players but in creating, only create second XI averages and player progresses from that. Also edit/create team names.
- Live updating - instead of paying for a data update, have a system that updates, via internet, the inital database when you start a new game. (might be hard i know)
- More tournaments - Champions trophy, proposed 20/20 tournament, new computer generated tournaments.
- Minnow Career Mode - play as affliate or associated nations (eg. Bermuda, Italy, France, Croatia, Ireland, Canada etc.) and build your local teams to international status.
- Sponsorships - player and team sponsorships, logo/team strip design, more or less money depending on results.
- Fantasy Draft - just a suggestion, if you get bored...

That's all I can think of for now. Any quesitons/comments?
I agree with all this

Simply, i want what cricket fans deserve, i don't know about everyone, but crciket fans love the statistics! These all should be availble to us.

The same game, but with the Cricinfo database of the major international and county teams. Is that so much to ask?

Most annoying thing is that u can't find averages of players once u have started the playing the game. Its nice to know Tendulkar has 30 something test 100's, but i want to know actually how many that i have got.

These series of games are probs the most slow moving ever, a normal games player (does not know alot about cricktet) may not be able to see the difference between now and the game 6-7 years ago.

There has never been a data editor for ICC, maybe because if there was there will never be a need to buy the game again. I always wanted to add myself to the game, and play with the top international players!

hallmitchell

School Boy/Girl Captain
Where is the story on the lunch with Chris?

I was hoping to read it!

I want to see a new game.
It's basically been the same game with different covers on it for ten years.

I know there is some legal thing with photos.

Yet I want photos of players.

darko21

U19 Debutant
I have been playing AFL 06 on PS2 for the past few weeks, and even that has improved since it's early origins. Players retire due to injury and have legitimate reasons for it too. Drafting in AFL is pick a player from another side and bargin. Why can't ICC have a trade system (eg. Flintoff for 2 young players from another county). More depth I think is the catchcry from the ICC followers. More variables, more control, more longevity.

voltaire

Cricket Spectator
Oh god what I wouldn't do for a statistics databank. In some of my games I'd love to see how my team stacks up against my team of twenty years ago.

That, plus a fantasy cricket mode where you can create two teams out of any players from your historical databank that you have created. I'm not so much interested in pre-2006 players (maybe more like pre-2000ish.. it wouldn't be right without Athers), but to be able to make any team together from any of the players I have played with or against, that would be wicked.