• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Bad Points about Cricket games out there

nitehawk

Cricket Spectator
I see everyone is talking about what should be in the game. So there is no point of me repeating... although i want to :happy:

How about we discuss bad points about cricket games out there.. maybe right ppl will try to fix some of these in the games to come....

1. AI is too boring
Almost all cricket games that came in the past have this problem. Either AI is too predictable, too easy to master.

2. Making the bowler target where the ball pitches before the runup
This i thought was very unrealistic. In most games, that little dot where the ball is suppose to pitch is determined even before the bowler starts his runup. In real cricket, where ball pitches is determined by several factors...
- bowlers speed
- how balanced the bowler is in his runup
- bowlers confidence
- batsmans last minute movements on the crease
etc

So I think this should be mirrored in bowling in cricket games... I know that one reason for determining the pitching marker early is to allow the batsmen enough time to think about the shot he is going to play....
However I think the bowling marker should be determined half way thru the bowlers runup

3. There are no way to take quick singles
Another weakness in cricket games is that you have two types of shots... either down the ground,or a big slog that goes in the air
In real cricket, players hit the bowl to different parts of the ground.... they also hit the ball at a rate so they know where the ball will end up... the idea is not to hit the ball to the ropes all the time but hit in a way so you have control over how hard you hit it. Eg. You have a fielder at deep midoff, and deep gully... you want to pinch two runs... between these two.. so you should be able to hit it so it has just enough power to stop the ball between these two fielders...
I dont think cricket games allows for that. In Cricket 2004, only way i managed to steal a single is if the ball hit the pad... or a forward defensive shot which barely moves the ball off the pitch...

4. Keeper is dumb
In cricket 2004, keeper is really really stupid... He sometimes turns his back towards the ball and wait for someone to throw it even if the ball is two feet infront of him...

5. No seam movements for fast bowlers
There are a diff set of bowler who are medium pacers, they are the only once who can swing the ball... this is not the case in real life... even fast bowlers like gillespie, gough, Bond. has the ability to swing the ball... You can rarely see the ball swing when fast bowlers are on...

so people add to this list... :) try to remember any weak points on any cricket game out there...and help them address this in the future

chao :D

nitehawk

Cricket Spectator
Yes definitely.. needs to have a better control of shot power...

Also I have noticed that there is always a limit on number of diff shots you can play...

for instant you know that if you play a certain shot (ie Off drive), you can tell which path the ball will travel (always)
Its not possible to control the shot beyond this level. I think its taking the fun out of cricket...
all the bowling team has to do is to set a fielder in to that path and basically that takes care of that shot...

there needs to be more variety of shots....
But how would you allow for this in the game ...hmmmm

here is a suggestion

allow the user to control the following attributes
- batsmans body movements (allow the batsman to turn into/out of the shot)
- batsmans bat lift (ie more lift -> more power)

say you get a fuller ball on the offside... a shot you can play to this would be an offdrive
suppose you have a fielder either side of cover

on a typical cricket game, playing the offdrive will make the ball go straight to the midoff fielder
but it should be possible to play between the two fielders by....
turning the batsmans body towards the intended direction... and hitting the shot.... vary the back lift inorder to control the distance of the shot

something like that :)

call me nuts but i think thats a good idea :P

psxpro

Banned
Definetly bowling. In real life i find bowling twice as fun as batting, in cricket games bowling is so boring compared to batting becasue the batsman knows where you bowl, i don;t know any way they can fix this.

hindsy

Cricket Spectator
The batting stances are all crap, they need to look better.. If you keep the AI scoreless for a few overs they take a suicidal single and get run out, thats just totally stupid.. Make the fielders throw with their actual throwing hand, not like in cricket 2004 where they can throw perfectly with both hands... Also have the keepers be able to stop slower balls instead of them being an instant bye... Dont over power tailenders etc.

Black_Caps

Cricket Spectator
I have found one "stuff up" in BLIC. In some screenshots the keeper isn't wearing any pads or gloves. Here are a few links to those screenshots..
Please reply about your thoughts.

Last edited by a moderator:

cameeel

International Captain
Possibly still in the preliminary aesthetic stages? there may be an option to remove keeper pads to increase agility but also increase risk of injury?

nitehawk

Cricket Spectator
other minor stuff...

I am not sure if these have already been discussed. if so sorry about that. :wacko:

Does anyone know whether....
- batsmen can get injured while batting? Does this have any effect on their playing ability (confidence etc)?
- I know there is a new method implemented for throwing to the wickets... (throwing meter) Does all the players have the same throwing capability or does some ppl have more skill when it comes to direct hits..? - it would be nice, if that is the case, as we ll be more cautious taking runs to good fielders like (Symonds, Ponting). Is there a diff between the speed of the throw on diff ppl (apart from accuracy)?
- In cricket, you always get mix ups between batsman (when running between wickets).. ie both ends up in the same end.... i know this would be hard to implement in cricket games because in 1player mode, you only need a single press of a button to make both batsmen running... - so u will never get two batsmen stranded at one end.... Will this be looked at in BLC? maybe control the running of a batsman at striker and non-striker with L1 and L2 buttons (PS2)..? :wacko:
- Again on fielding... in cricket games in the past... i hate controlling the fielding (manual fielding) because its just too much of a hassle to make a player run to the ball and stop the ball.... so fielding is something i have totally ignored... in BLC would it be possible to make the computer do auto fielding (ie make the closest player run and stop the ball) and then give us the control over throwing the ball to the wicket? (because that part sounds like fun) :D
- would there be rain stoppages? would weather really affect games?... ie slow outfield on damn pitches... ground dries up as the weather gets better during the game etc...
In cricket games...toss is simply something thats ignored by ppl.. it doesnt reallly make a diff if u bat first or bowl first... so we always go for what we like best (batting)... the pitch,ground, atmospheric conditions were consistant during the game so... the toss didnt matter much... will this be addressed in BLC? :ph34r:
- how about drinks breaks?
- slow over rates..? (is there a way to control how long a team takes to ball?)... wen we play 2player cricket game.. its always annoying when your mate... stops the game and edit the field everytime u hit a good shot...
maybe if you introduce a time limit to bowl your overs (ie everytime the player goes to the field change editor.. .you could add how long he stay on this screen to his total bowling time etc) easier said than done :) :p
- the stats displayed in cricket 2004 was a disgraze... there were all sorts of stats.. like worm, manhatten, spider charts.. the stats were either visibly poor... best example was the worm graph... it was so tiny we could hardly make out the line on that graph..

i hope some of these issues wil be addressed in BLC... 8-)

sorry about the loooooong message