• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

The Golf Thread

social

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
Have to take your word for that. One other issue with playing golf in Aus, no one will watch in the European timezones.

Just watched a bit of DPWT from Japan over brekkie, stunning views of the course and snow capped mountains. That sells golf for me far more than loud music, horrendous graphics and mic'd up players. LIV is just dumbed down rubbish.

Given how poor you said DPWT is now, you'd think a Top 10 PGA player would be thrashing this lot this week, not 9 shots back and struggling to make the cut.
I lived in Dubai for many years and love watching the DPWT for many reasons but for the travelogues as much as anything

Who wouldn’t want to visit that place or Morocco or the Alps? Brilliant

As for the world rankings, they’re completely meaningless as attested to by Hovland & others

Cam Smith is the 4th ranked Australian behind Day, Lee & Scott after winning a British Open and finishing top 10 in 3 of the last 4 majors

Let’s get real here (and don’t come back to me with they accepted the money so …)

Literally nobody on the planet believes that OWGR rankings have credibility anymore

social

Somebody seems to have plonked a leaderboard with the names of largely average golfers in a ridiculous part of the screen.

Love to see how many were following the leader....
There was 35k there

Biggest ever crowds in Australia with virtually every hole packed

You’ll be happy to know that Anthony Kim was treated like Mick Jagger

Crowds don’t need to follow anyone as it’s shotgun so always another group coming through

Largely average = better than PGAT event

Molehill

International Captain
There was 35k there

Biggest ever crowds in Australia with virtually every hole packed

You’ll be happy to know that Anthony Kim was treated like Mick Jagger

Crowds don’t need to follow anyone as it’s shotgun so always another group coming through

Largely average = better than PGAT event
You've literally got the names Uihlein, Lee, Pereira and Tringale there who couldn't win on the PGA Tour. And as for Bland....absolute wanker!!

I'm really not sure we should bother with this anymore. Didn't you live in Dubai for a while? I mean that would literally be one of my worst nightmares.

We're never going to agree on LIV. Pleased that Aus are getting top golfers to watch, but not the way it's happened. We don't need LIV in the UK as we're lucky enough to get top golf to watch anyway, which is why the LIV event is so poorly attended.

Enjoyed the pairs event on PGA last night, it's a shame they don't do more of this. The Dahmen/Mitchell partnership was great value, whilst good to see Rory clearly enjoying himself with Lowry.

social

You've literally got the names Uihlein, Lee, Pereira and Tringale there who couldn't win on the PGA Tour. And as for Bland....absolute wanker!!

I'm really not sure we should bother with this anymore. Didn't you live in Dubai for a while? I mean that would literally be one of my worst nightmares.

We're never going to agree on LIV. Pleased that Aus are getting top golfers to watch, but not the way it's happened. We don't need LIV in the UK as we're lucky enough to get top golf to watch anyway, which is why the LIV event is so poorly attended.

Enjoyed the pairs event on PGA last night, it's a shame they don't do more of this. The Dahmen/Mitchell partnership was great value, whilst good to see Rory clearly enjoying himself with Lowry.
C’mon mate

If you hate LIV then New Orleans is a joke from the same package and worse because literally nobody watches that crap

Just because Rory is playing doesn’t change anything & only compounds the hypocrisy

Last edited:

Molehill

International Captain
C’mon mate

If you hate LIV then New Orleans is a joke from the same package and worse because literally nobody watches that crap

Just because Rory is playing doesn’t change anything
Cantlay, Schauffele, Morikawa, Lowry, Theegala, Zalatoris, Fitzpatricks, Hojgaards - decent field. Still a lot more people watching that than the LIV flagship event.

I see a number of LIV contracts are up at the end of the year. I guess the PIF will get the cheque book out again and come after the other 2 Tours. What happens to those who haven't cut the mustard for the Saudis I wonder?

social

Cantlay, Schauffele, Morikawa, Lowry, Theegala, Zalatoris, Fitzpatricks, Hojgaards - decent field. Still a lot more people watching that than the LIV flagship event.

I see a number of LIV contracts are up at the end of the year. I guess the PIF will get the cheque book out again and come after the other 2 Tours. What happens to those who haven't cut the mustard for the Saudis I wonder?
Nobody’s watching PGAT

The last PGAT event was out rated by a YouTube event in back of nowhere Florida and that’s when it was a full field

Molehill

International Captain
Nobody’s watching PGAT

The last PGAT event was out rated by a YouTube event in back of nowhere Florida and that’s when it was a full field
That's just not true.

Sky Golf averaged 120k viewers in March in the UK. When I went onto the LIV Youtube for the Anthony Kim extravaganza there were less than 15k watching. The vast majority of golf viewership don't even know how to connect Youtube to their TV's.

The fact LIV still hasn't got a credible TV deal sums it up. No one is interested apart from Aussies - and I bet that's just one week a year too.

social

That's just not true.

Sky Golf averaged 120k viewers in March in the UK. When I went onto the LIV Youtube for the Anthony Kim extravaganza there were less than 15k watching. The vast majority of golf viewership don't even know how to connect Youtube to their TV's.

The fact LIV still hasn't got a credible TV deal sums it up. No one is interested apart from Aussies - and I bet that's just one week a year too.
Fact

More YouTubers watched a social media golf event than the RBC

Fact

1.34 million streamers watched Cam Smith tee off today

We might not like it but that’s the future

Molehill

International Captain
Fact

More YouTubers watched a social media golf event than the RBC

Fact

1.34 million streamers watched Cam Smith tee off today

We might not like it but that’s the future
Love to see the evidence for this. Stop believing everything you read from the LIV bots.

Also, what social media golf event are you referring to? I'm sure more youtubers did watch that than the RBC, what with the RBC being easily available on standard TV instead.

Streaming deals really aren't the future of golf viewership, it's just not working.....despite what made up figures you might throw out here. Why hasn't Murdoch offered them a TV deal instead? Answer: there just isn't the global interest for it. Normally he has to pay for TV rights, but in this case, I suspect LIV are probably trying to throw money at him.

Also, Saudi sponsored golf really doesn't fit in with the direction Sky have gone in regarding who presents their programmes.

social

Love to see the evidence for this. Stop believing everything you read from the LIV bots.

Also, what social media golf event are you referring to? I'm sure more youtubers did watch that than the RBC, what with the RBC being easily available on standard TV instead.

Streaming deals really aren't the future of golf viewership, it's just not working.....despite what made up figures you might throw out here. Why hasn't Murdoch offered them a TV deal instead? Answer: there just isn't the global interest for it. Normally he has to pay for TV rights, but in this case, I suspect LIV are probably trying to throw money at him.

Also, Saudi sponsored golf really doesn't fit in with the direction Sky have gone in regarding who presents their programmes.
lol

There’s way more PGAT bots

Who da **** watches the New Orleans Classic?

Literally nobody ever

Justin Thomas is arguably the most unpopular golfer in the world right now and the PGAT has just gifted him $30 million

What?

The PGAT has completely lost the plot

Molehill

International Captain
lol

There’s way more PGAT bots

Who da **** watches the New Orleans Classic?

Literally nobody ever

Justin Thomas is arguably the most unpopular golfer in the world right now and the PGAT has just gifted him $30 million

What?

The PGAT has completely lost the plot
I'm coming to the conclusion you have absolutely no idea what's going on in the US, or just generally outside Australia. Yeah, I find the JT persona a little painful, but the Yanks love him. Your obsession with the Players Fund is amusing.

When I play golf tomorrow, I can guarantee that others will have been watching the PGA Tour - it's on TV and a good watchable time. I can also guarantee that not a single person will have any clue what is happening in Adelaide. You just don't seem to get it, there is no interest in LIV.

Looks like they've found a loophole that will allow the likes of Rahm and Hatton to play in the Ryder Cup and even the end of season events on DPWT. It will require them paying a fine of about £1m, but that's hardly an issue.