• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Rugby : New Zealand All Blacks vs England

Tim

Cricketer Of The Year
It's hard to say really...all this week in the news I've only heard about what England are planning to do, there has been extremely limited information about the NZ team apart from Howlett being out injured.

I think the English pack is going to question NZ's defence more often tommorow night, but will the English backline be able to take advantage of that because they looked short of ideas last week.

NZ haven't been beaten at Eden Park for around 9 years though so I think they'll continue that unbeaten record with a winning margin of 10 points or less.

Tim

Cricketer Of The Year
36-12...so England leave NZ without scoring a try.

Simon Shaw is a disgrace to England & a disgrace to rugby, he deserved that red card.
NZ played average, I thought they tried to be too fancy after England were down to 14 men, but in the end I think the final scoreline was a fair reflection of what happened.

The rest of the England side deserve a pat on the back for excellent defence though..although I thought Grewcock was subbed on just to start fights at the end there.

I think England still have a chance to beat Australia..they were disappointing against the Scots last week.

James

Cricket Web Owner
Good result to the blacks. As the commentary team said though Simon Shaw probably only deserved a yellow and his sending off spoilt the game to some degree.

I'm still predicting Australia to beat us when we play them in the Tri Nations though. An over confident All Blacks will again under estimate the Aussies and we'll lose.

Tim

Cricketer Of The Year
Nup disagree....anybody who is prepared to put a knee into someone's head is an idiot & deserve's to be sent off. I would have no complaints if it had been an NZ player.

The rucking of Robinson was fair enough, but there's no need to use dirty tactics. Both sides, especially England were far too fired up..stupid scuffles & needless penalties.

It seems that Australia only ever play their best when they play the AB's which really annoys me after watching what I would call average performances against the Scot's.
Australia will always be tough..but this year the AB's lineouts are precise & the forwards are much tougher & battle-hardened than last year so it'll be interesting to see what happens when we play Australia.

I thought South Africa were going to do well this year after a good Super 12, but they've struggled against Ireland & will need to get a move on if they want to contest in the Tri-Nations.

Tim

Cricketer Of The Year
I tell you what though...the British Lions tour here next year could be one of the most brutal series ever. No doubt many of the English players who make the tour aswell as Woodward will be looking for revenge & respect in this country.

I expect to see even more tension than last night, next year. Dallaglio has already signalled his intentions to avenge this series.

Cloete

International Captain
One thing I found ironic is there's always an all-black disrupting rucks. Every all-black team in teh history of the game has done it, they slow up the ball as much as they can. IMO he completely deserved it. I'm so sick of bloody AB's getting away with it though...it's their main tactic they use when they play the Wallabies. Because we rely on quick back movement they jsut disrupt the rucks and make it slow ball for Gregan. Very unsporting and I was happy to see an AB getting what he deserved. A Red was definitely too far... mayeb a yellow.

Tim

Cricketer Of The Year
lol every team does that! not just England or NZ. Robinson deserved to be rucked on the back, but never at any time should a player be kneed, kicked or punched.

Tim

Cricketer Of The Year
There is not a single rugby nation that doesn't attempt to slow the speed of the ball coming out of a ruck..If you watched more rugby, you'd probably realise that.

lord_of_darkness

Cricket Web XI Moderator
Wow awesome 2nd test of rugby .. New Zealand played really well , and joe rockocko was superb.. atleast England put up a better fight than last time and i reckon that guy deserved that red card..

Cloete

International Captain
Tim said:
There is not a single rugby nation that doesn't attempt to slow the speed of the ball coming out of a ruck..If you watched more rugby, you'd probably realise that.
I watch every game mate. It'm not disputing otehr teams do it. But the fact is New Zealand ALWAYS do it in most attacks the opposition has. The French are also quite annoying as well.... it's just funny if Robinson had been kneed you'd be saying good on the Kiwi...

Tim

Cricketer Of The Year
I highly doubt it...anyone who condones that kind of behaviour is foolish. You rarely see a NZ player resort to anything like that anyway...except Troy Flavell who's gone to Japan.

If NZ ALWAYS kill a ruck then you need to show some evidence because I think you'll find that every team is as guilty as each other in that area of the game.

Tim

Cricketer Of The Year
Nobody in NZ ever condones reckless behaviour because it rarely occurs in the Super 12 & our own NPC. That's why there was such a huge up-roar when Troy Flavell stepped on Waikato player Greg Smith's face last year.

Sure there might be a bit of niggle & a few punches thrown, but I think that's acceptable in a high tensity match. It's when players resort to biting ears, stomping on players etc that the refs need to crack down on.

Cloete

International Captain
Tim said:
Nobody in NZ ever condones reckless behaviour because it rarely occurs in the Super 12 & our own NPC. That's why there was such a huge up-roar when Troy Flavell stepped on Waikato player Greg Smith's face last year.

Sure there might be a bit of niggle & a few punches thrown, but I think that's acceptable in a high tensity match. It's when players resort to biting ears, stomping on players etc that the refs need to crack down on.
Yeah because it was a New Zealander on a New Zealander!!

I'll admit I am a touch, in fact extremely, biased agaisnt the Kiwi's. However I really do think it is quite obvious that they do disturb more rucks deliberately than any other team bar France. Now name me another team that does it continousy? Where just about every ruck someone is lying there on the rock side deliberately or is handling the ball or is offside etc.

Craig

World Traveller
Personally I think Simon Shaw should have got at least one week.

I am in favour of how they do it in football, get a red and the next game or two is missed the following weekend. Something the FA should consider.

Tim

Cricketer Of The Year
Shaw got let off by a technicallity. Apparently Dickinson & the Welsh Referee made an error with the TMO.
If we had been playing under Tri-Nations rules, Shaw would have at least got a 2 match ban.

I laugh at all these people trying to say that Shaw is a gentle giant..but the bloke got suspended for throwing a punch in the semi's of the Heineken Cup this year for crying out loud!
And what's with Sir Clive's parting shot that England were the better team in this series? it goes hand in hand with Dallaglio throwing the toys out of the cot at the post-game interviews where he chucked his mic off & stormed out of the room.

marc71178

Eyes not spreadsheets
Tim said:
Simon Shaw is a disgrace to England & a disgrace to rugby, he deserved that red card.

Funny then that all the commentators (from both sides) that I heard thought a yellow would suffice and also, I note he wasn't banned.

How does that show he deserved it?