• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

*Official* Tennis Thread

vcs

Request Your Custom Title Now!
No pressure on Feddy as well.. should be fun. :D

Really Nadal should be favourite though. Courts suit him and he is steadily getting better through the tournament and Fed is getting slightly worse and probably two weeks of tennis would have taken some toll. He's pulled off a great escape two matches in a row, luck is bound to run out at some point. I predict Nadal will sweep the claycourt season regardless of what happens here.

vcs

This Indian Wells draw is even more laughably lopsided now that Murray is out.

I always really struggle to see the relevance of Indian Wells and Miami in the calendar. Horribly slow HC surfaces that reward ugly, grinding tennis. The matches are usually error-fests. Just give them a break till the clay court season FFS.
So it turns out that my interest level in this part of the season is entirely dependent on how well Federer does. :ph34r:

Stand by the error-fest comment though.

Anil

Hall of Fame Member
So it turns out that my interest level in this part of the season is entirely dependent on how well Federer does. :ph34r:
sure mine too...but i was aware of that all along...just can't get hooked on grind fests like novak vs rafa, novak vs andy etc...i remember sitting through lendl vs wilander when i was much younger but just don't have the stamina for that anymore...:)

Anil

Hall of Fame Member
i think rafa will win this one...just don't see roger having the stamina to go through a 3rd consecutive gruelling 3 setter...

vcs

23-14 and possibly in Nadal's head now :)

What a start to the year for Federer. :)

Anil

Hall of Fame Member
i think rafa will win this one...just don't see roger having the stamina to go through a 3rd consecutive gruelling 3 setter...
well...it wasn't a 3 setter and it wasn't all that gruelling either so technically i was not wrong...:ph34r:

anyway well done roger! damn that evil genius donskoy...it could have been 4 in a row...:@

Last edited:

Anil

Hall of Fame Member
23-14 and possibly in Nadal's head now :)
one can only hope...but clay season is coming and rafa has plenty of chances to get his head straight...federer has confirmed the only clay tournament he will play this year is rolland garros...

vcs

one can only hope...but clay season is coming and rafa has plenty of chances to get his head straight...federer has confirmed the only clay tournament he will play this year is rolland garros...
That's a shame.. playing this way he'd have a decent shot at Monte Carlo and Rome where he has never won despite multiple final appearances.

Anil

Hall of Fame Member
That's a shame.. playing this way he'd have a decent shot at Monte Carlo and Rome where he has never won despite multiple final appearances.
yeah rome is the only big tournament he hasn't won yet (4 finals if i remember correctly), like rafa in miami...i don't think it keeps him sleepless at night though and i don't see him playing there too much for the rest of his career...

vcs

yeah rome is the only big tournament he hasn't won yet (4 finals if i remember correctly), like rafa in miami...i don't think it keeps him sleepless at night though and i don't see him playing there too much for the rest of his career...
That 2006 final :(

What an incredible match it was though.

Anil

Hall of Fame Member
yeah, well most of his greatest contests against nadal are losses for him whether it is rome (2006), australia (2009) or wimbledon (2008)...even the wimbledon 2007 classic is overshadowed by those others...which is why i am very happy australia 2017 happened...i am sure it erased a lot of really bad memories for him...

vcs

Janko Tipsarevic: 'I'm not sure that Federer would beat Djokovic from last year'

Quite a bit of salt here from Tipsarevic.. Not sure what he is trying to say with these bits about courts being faster, balls being lighter. Its almost as if its a crime to have to conquer different challenges as a tennis player. :laugh:
Obviously entitled to his opinion, but did he follow Indian Wells and Miami which are the slowest HCs on the circuit?

And no, the current Federer probably wouldn't beat Djokovic in his peak '15 or '16 form, but then that Djokovic probably wouldn't beat the Federer of '04-'06 either. So who cares really.

honestbharani

Whatever it takes!!!
That is what I am saying. Lets remember that an entire generation today plays in mostly homogenized conditions for tennis. Its the same baseline **** rallies on green, brown, blue courts all over the year. Yes, it is a little faster at Wimbledon but they slowed down courts and made the balls heavier simply coz Federer was becoming unbeatable except on clay. So obvious thing to do is to make every other surface a bit more like the clay. Now they are seeing that such homogenization has made the game even more boring, Nadal, Tipsaveric etc. are having a whine. :)

Anil

Hall of Fame Member
Obviously entitled to his opinion, but did he follow Indian Wells and Miami which are the slowest HCs on the circuit?

And no, the current Federer probably wouldn't beat Djokovic in his peak '15 or '16 form, but then that Djokovic probably wouldn't beat the Federer of '04-'06 either. So who cares really.
exactly...who the **** is tipsarevic?