• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

*Official* Tennis Thread

Magrat Garlick

Global Moderator
He ended up still winning but you went early here!
I had already researched Florian Mayer's barren palmares by this point so figured it was worth a post

Tbf he does deserve some credit for fighting through injuries but my what a wasted chance for Thiem and Zverev

Jono

Virat Kohli (c)
Thiem's played too much tennis, looked absolutely buggered in the semi. May be a blessing he lost that.

But in the final Zverev definitely had his chances, but Mayer just out-foxed him. Once Zverev fought back to win the second set though it seemed like Mayer had ran his race. He looked shot due to lack of match fitness, but somehow he was able to win.

Niall

International Coach
Always liked Mayer, good fun to watch, so very happy to see him win.

Not sure what the hell happened Raonic though seemed in total control.

Scanning through the betting, he is 3rd fav for Wimbledon 10/1 in some places:mellow:

Jono

Virat Kohli (c)
Not sure what the hell happened Raonic though seemed in total control.
His third set was poor, but honestly other than one missed volley in the seocnd (which was critical, would have given him the game in which Muzz broke back), he was just steamrolled by a Muzzard in the zone.

Anil

Hall of Fame Member
Stating the obvious, Murray has the best (probably the only) chance of stopping the Djoker Express at Wimbledon....

vcs

Request Your Custom Title Now!
Yeah, Murray shouldn't be losing to Federer anymore, considering where they are in their careers right now. That said, he hasn't even taken a set off him in the last 5-6 matches lol, including a near double-bagel. Dunno how Federer will be seeded and whether he'll even make it past the early rounds.. Wimbledon's just not going to be the same without him playing well. :(

Anil

Hall of Fame Member
feds in djoker's half of the draw but i don't think they are going to meet this year...in the other half, murray should go through to the final, novak vs andy 2016 part iii with the same result is what looks likely...

Last edited:

vogue

International Vice-Captain
feds in djoker's half of the draw but i don't think they are going to meet this year...in the other half, murray should go through to the final, novak vs andy 2016 part iii with likely the same result is what looks likely...
Seems likely..though there may be some surprises you never know with Wimbledon ..

harsh.ag

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
Murray's got a relatively easy draw. Should be through. FedEx might just be stopped in the quarters by Nishikori. Should beat Monfils though. Djokovic faces Raonic in the quarters, and that could be interesting!

vogue

International Vice-Captain
And lol at John Inverdales comments about Cibulkova smelling balls before she serves ...Amusing...:cool:

One of her many talents he says.....

Last edited:

Lillian Thomson

Hall of Fame Member
I don't think I've ever looked forward to Wimbledon less. Still no sign of any great young champions coming through in the men's or women's. Serena is favourite for the women's but is also vulnerable in any round, which could mean another mediocre Grand Slam winner - especially with the two grunt and scream sisters missing. It's actually not impossible that Konta could win it for Britain. The men's draw has three great players, but there's an inequality in their chances of winning, and a load of dross underneath.

Jono

Virat Kohli (c)
The young talent in the men's is better than its been in years, so disagree with that first statement.

Lillian Thomson

Hall of Fame Member
The young talent in the men's is better than its been in years, so disagree with that first statement.
There's always young talent, but usually amongst them it's possible to spot the next great champion from a mile away. I don't see anyone at the moment and there hasn't been for a while.

Jono

Virat Kohli (c)
Well I don't know what you mean by great champion I guess. If you want the next Federer, Nadal or Djokovic, yeah difficult.

But I think in Thiem, Zverev and Kyrgios the 22 and under talent is probably better than it been for a while. Time will tell I guess.