• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

*Official* Tennis Thread

vogue

International Vice-Captain
A British woman in the quarters... Born in Australia though
..still not since Jo Durie have we had a British woman in the quarter finals of a grand slam and she played a young Steffi Graf to get there...

Last edited:

Anil

Hall of Fame Member
she doesn't have rivals, not really...justine henin was the last one who gave her a fight and actually outplayed her on clay...kvitova has the talent but she is too fragile emotionally to be a rival and now with the mono, she is more or less out of the equation...

Jono

Virat Kohli (c)
I'm kind of indifferent on Zhang Shuai's constant "c'mon"s after Keys made an unforced error. what I'm not stoked about is her hitting the ****ing thing straight to her every rally with no subtlety, far out
Zhang had never won a match at a Slam before this tournament, lol. She gets some leeway I reckon.

vcs

Request Your Custom Title Now!
she doesn't have rivals, not really...justine henin was the last one who gave her a fight and actually outplayed her on clay...kvitova has the talent but she is too fragile emotionally to be a rival and now with the mono, she is more or less out of the equation...
That's partly down to her greatness. She beats excellent players like Azarenka consistently at Majors. As for Sharapova... at this point, she may as well give her a W/O. Williams-Sharapova "rivalry" makes Federer-Roddick look like a titanic struggle..

Magrat Garlick

Global Moderator
Serena-Azarenka in the final could be fun, but it's probably my heart speaking. Just please don't mess up that bottom half even more Vika.

What'll be a fair price on RF on Thursday? $6?

vcs

How can a professional tennis player be as poor at hitting overheads as Nishikori is?

vcs

Federer-Djokovic meet for the third straight Slam. Like Nadal-Djokovic in 2011-12... I suspect the outcome will be the same. Djokovic just has a knack of making his opponents miss because he puts an insane amount of pressure on them to hit the perfect shot. Nishikori had so many poor unforced errors today.

Anil

Hall of Fame Member
That's partly down to her greatness. She beats excellent players like Azarenka consistently at Majors. As for Sharapova... at this point, she may as well give her a W/O. Williams-Sharapova "rivalry" makes Federer-Roddick look like a titanic struggle..
Agreed

Jono

Virat Kohli (c)
Even if Serena beats Aza, that is still set up for a good final narrative. Aza pushes her the most, like the 2012 US Open Final where really she had her but Serena managed to just be clutch as ****. Plus she's on her come back.

Anyway let's see what Rada can do first. She needs Serena off her game first obviously, which can happen. I just hope she doesn't get absolutely dominated, because I'm a big fan of Rada. Hope she can sneak a Slam one day.

vcs

Even if Serena beats Aza, that is still set up for a good final narrative. Aza pushes her the most, like the 2012 US Open Final where really she had her but Serena managed to just be clutch as ****. Plus she's on her come back.

Anyway let's see what Rada can do first. She needs Serena off her game first obviously, which can happen. I just hope she doesn't get absolutely dominated, because I'm a big fan of Rada. Hope she can sneak a Slam one day.
Blah.. Azarenka lost to Kerber. BTW, she also played great against Serena in the French Open and Wimbledon last year. Really pushed her hard.

Yeah, I think Radwanska will push her a bit and force her into some errors. 7-5, 7-6 Serena.

Last edited:

Jono

Virat Kohli (c)

Haha so much for that, well done Kerber, Picked a good time to stop her losing streak to Aza.

After watching the Brisbane final, couldn't see how Kerber was winning this one. But there you go!

vcs

She's one of those dull defensive players I can't stand watching. Well done to her and all that, but I can't help feeling annoyed that she's deprived us of a possibly excellent final. :p

vcs

Murray will come through this one, but he is putting miles on his clock that will cost him later in the tournament. Especially if he plays Djokovic in the final (which is highly likely).

Magrat Garlick

Global Moderator
Kerber is a pretty good watch when she's playing against an attacking player, imo.

Doesn't make me less pissed waking up to Vika bottling that, mind. The gloating Sharapova fans make it ten times worse.

vogue

International Vice-Captain
Playing catch up with the Australian open is annoying...think I am going to have to stay up one night and watch some matches first hand...:@

NUFAN

Y no Afghanistan flag
Didnt expect Kerber to win. Was thinking of cashing out after the azarenka semi / before Murray Raonic semi but not to be.