• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

*Official* Tennis Thread

harsh.ag

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
I think it's generous to call Becker a dominant figure in the 90's considering that the only Slams he won were a couple of Australian Opens. I do agree with dismissing the general point though that's often trotted out about Murray winning more in other eras. I don't see him automatically stealing titles off Borg, Connors, McEnroe, Becker, Edberg, Agassi, Lendl or Sampras. I would add Courier to that for a brief time on clay.
This never makes sense.

grecian

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
Jennifer Capriati eh?

Apparently Obama is going to bring in "marshall" law, after he fails to take away the guns.

Thick as a brick.

vcs

Request Your Custom Title Now!
so what are the chances of novak achieving the calendar slam next year?
Pretty good I'd say. Never thought I'd see anyone surpass Federer's 2006 season but he did it. Rafa at the French is the only one with a chance of stopping him I think. This year it took an extraordinary effort by Wawrinka to do the job. Bouncing back from that disappointment to rule the rest of the season shows his drive. Plus he skipped that meaningless ITPL (or whatever it's called) so he's giving himself every chance.

Anil

Hall of Fame Member
Pretty good I'd say. Never thought I'd see anyone surpass Federer's 2006 season but he did it. Rafa at the French is the only one with a chance of stopping him I think. This year it took an extraordinary effort by Wawrinka to do the job. Bouncing back from that disappointment to rule the rest of the season shows his drive. Plus he skipped that meaningless ITPL (or whatever it's called) so he's giving himself every chance.
I don't think that is a bogeyman for him anymore...rafa is just not the same player...

Last edited:

cpr

International Coach
Might put Murray as a sneaky outsider for Australia. He might be a little tired as he's not had the offseason yet, but he might be carrying a chunk of confidence after the Davis Cup. He's shown he knows the route to the final here on numerous occasions, and has shown he can beat Novak in finals before. If he has a good tournament, and catches Novak at less than 100% then he's got a shout.

Jono

Virat Kohli (c)
yeah that's my thinking too. He copped Stan in top flight which was unlucky, but at the same time he had a year where Muzz was solid, Fed was very good and Stan was strong for the first half. Otherwise he had Nadal and Nishi below par. You'd think Muzz, Rafa and Nishi will be better this year.

Then again its Novak so he could romp them anyway even if they do improve. If he plays like he did from August onwards he'll win all 4. Hard to maintain though.

vcs

Request Your Custom Title Now!
I don't think that is a bogeyman for him anymore...rafa is just not the same player...
I didn't say it was a good chance. :p

Still think Federer's got the best chance of beating him in any random match (and statistics back that up over the last two years), but Novak kicks it up to another level in the ones that really matter.

Anil

Hall of Fame Member
yeah right now it's like the agassi vs sampras rivalry between those two, agassi won a good share of their matches in the regular tournaments but sampras almost always won when they met in the majors...

Anil

Hall of Fame Member
yeah that's my thinking too. He copped Stan in top flight which was unlucky, but at the same time he had a year where Muzz was solid, Fed was very good and Stan was strong for the first half. Otherwise he had Nadal and Nishi below par. You'd think Muzz, Rafa and Nishi will be better this year.

Then again its Novak so he could romp them anyway even if they do improve. If he plays like he did from August onwards he'll win all 4. Hard to maintain though.
exactly...he can beat himself but i don't think those others can when he is playing close to his best...also nishi in that list...?! he is a good player and all but he has done squat all to indicate that he will pose a challenge for novak...

Anil

Hall of Fame Member
Is Fed a bad clutch player? Has a pretty poor record in slam finals against Nadal and Novak.
against nadal (anywhere except for maybe indoors) and novak (in majors), he seems to be at a psychological disadvantage before the match starts...but he has won his share of close matches against almost everyone else and even those two earlier in his career...so i don't know that if that adjective applies...