• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

*Official* Tennis Thread

MW1304

Cricketer Of The Year
Quite a lot by the looks of it but he's come out of 5 set singles alright before so he should be fine after a doubles.

Jono

Virat Kohli (c)
Bummer, great match though.

Not sure whether Bernie playing first up or the 5th rubber was better. Kind of feel if Bernie pulls off a miraculous win in the 4th the pressure on Thanasi will be too big (presuming they play him).

Magrat Garlick

Global Moderator
Belgium at 2.10 to turn it around. Not great odds considering they're 1-2 down, still tempted though.

(And kicking myself for not ordering Sunday tickets because I'd convinced myself it would be a dead rubber day)

Jono

Virat Kohli (c)
Tomic is genuinely playing as good as he can here. Absolutely no chance of winning because he doesn't have another level. Would need Murray to drop his game big time to even get back into it, let alone win.

flibbertyjibber

Request Your Custom Title Now!
Tomic is genuinely playing as good as he can here. Absolutely no chance of winning because he doesn't have another level. Would need Murray to drop his game big time to even get back into it, let alone win.
Yeah it makes you appreciate just how good the top guys are when a bloke ranked 20 places below is taken apart with relative ease.

Jono

Virat Kohli (c)
Yeah it makes you appreciate just how good the top guys are when a bloke ranked 20 places below is taken apart with relative ease.
Yep. Tomic definitely doesn't have the game that troubles Murray (no big weapons, not attacking enough) but this is still as clinical as it gets against a pretty good opponent.

Jono

Virat Kohli (c)
Don't want to jump too far ahead, but if Murray wins GBR the Davis Cup, on top of a home Olympic Gold medal and a Wimbledon championship, that is fair service for Britain.

Obviously he's got the US Open and **** load of ATP tournament titles as well, but the above are just incredible from a British tennis point of view.

morgieb

Request Your Custom Title Now!
Goffin doing his job for Belgium too. Not gonna be a gimme in the final, especially considering the support cast Andy has.
If I were Britain I'd definitely prefer to play Belgium over Argentina though. Darcis wouldn't be a guarantee against any of the Pommy 2nd players (though probably still the favourite, especially if it's at home), and I don't think they have the doubles team to challenge Britain anyway.

At least with Argentina you'd still expect them to win the non-Murray rubbers if it's on clay and in the right circumstances could even push Murray on clay (though he's a far better player on clay than he was a few years ago).

Magrat Garlick

Global Moderator
If I were Britain I'd definitely prefer to play Belgium over Argentina though. Darcis wouldn't be a guarantee against any of the Pommy 2nd players (though probably still the favourite, especially if it's at home), and I don't think they have the doubles team to challenge Britain anyway.

At least with Argentina you'd still expect them to win the non-Murray rubbers if it's on clay and in the right circumstances could even push Murray on clay (though he's a far better player on clay than he was a few years ago).
I believe GB would be at home to Argentina though, which pretty much neuters them - Mayer should win the non-Murray rubber, but Delbonis/Schwartzman/Berlocq are fairly terrible on HC. Meanwhile they're away to Belgium.

Niall

International Coach
So I assume the UK will pick Edmund for Belgium? Qualified for the French and has actually beaten Darcis this year, Evans? No thanks.