• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

*Official* Tennis Thread

Anil

Hall of Fame Member
Jono said:
Taylor Dent, the most underrated tennis player going around IMO, has just gotten through in straight sets and will take on Hewitt in the third round. That will be a great match. Dent is the true no. 1 volleyer in tennis today, so it shall be an interesting battle.
what has he done so far to be rated?

sledger

Spanish_Vicente
nikhil1772 said:
Thats so rude towards Tim,after all he has to go through...the weight of pressure and the expectations...
expectations of what exactly? i dont think most expect him to get oast the 3rd round, let alone get to the final, and he didnt even achieve that.

kendall

U19 Vice-Captain
I just dont see why i should support tim because he is brittish. Brittian is not a good country at being patriotic as it is just either embarrisng or self councious usualy both and for some reason wimbeldon just shows this in its extreme.

Mister Wright

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
nikhil1772 said:
Yes he does...he does not remain in top 5 or top 10 ATP rankings for so long for nothing
It was a joke mate, calm down, lol.

But Wimbledon is his tournament, and he's had so many chances to win it.

Jono

Virat Kohli (c)
Murray dominating Nalbandian at the moment. He's taken the first set, and is 3-0 up in teh second. Amazing. Henman Hill is full.

superkingdave

Hall of Fame Member
luckyeddie said:
I didn't see any of it - just had the score feed while I was writing. Was it pressure, tiredness or just his opponent raising his game?
He was knackered, the first two games of the 3rd set he put effort in, when he lost them he let that set go and went for it in the fourth - iirc he had break point at 4-4, he was out of it in the 5th

Anil

Hall of Fame Member
luckyeddie said:
I didn't see any of it - just had the score feed while I was writing. Was it pressure, tiredness or just his opponent raising his game?
he was exhausted by the fourth and was just hanging on because of the adrenalin rush fuelled by the crowd.....i think it was a combination of his lack of experience and physical conditioning along with nalbandian's superior experience in long matches.....

Jono

Virat Kohli (c)
Nalbandian really is brilliant when it comes to 5 sets. He very rarely goes down in 3, and some of the shots he was playing in that fifth set were amazing. I thought he may have been gone in the 4th when he was down a break, but he broke back beautifully and then broke Murray again. Great fight back.

Good effort from young Murray, like the commentators I'm not sure I'm a fan of him getting the crowd to cheer when his opponent makes an error. :dry: Anyway glad to see one of my favourites make it to the round of 16. Plus Nalbandian is in my fantasy tennis team :cool:

Scaly piscine

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
Probably been mentioned before, but what were the excuses used for confiscating the flags (if I recall it happened last year as well, but I don't take too much notice of Wimbledon til Henman is out and we're down to the quality games)

Jono

Virat Kohli (c)
Ferrero, the former no. 1 really taking it to Federer here. I believe if he was up against anyone else other than Federer or Hewitt, he would have probably been 2 sets up. However whenever Ferrero puts it to Federer, Federer turns it up a notch.

Still, Ferrero just had a break point as I speak, and its deuce now. We may get a 4th set if Ferrero can keep this up for a while longer.

FaaipDeOiad

Hall of Fame Member
Jono said:
Ferrero, the former no. 1 really taking it to Federer here. I believe if he was up against anyone else other than Federer or Hewitt, he would have probably been 2 sets up. However whenever Ferrero puts it to Federer, Federer turns it up a notch.

Still, Ferrero just had a break point as I speak, and its deuce now. We may get a 4th set if Ferrero can keep this up for a while longer.
Break for Federer, serving for the match now. Ahh well. ;)

Anil

Hall of Fame Member
FaaipDeOiad said:
Break for Federer, serving for the match now. Ahh well. ;)
not a surprise that one...i would have been astounded if ferrero had managed to beat a fully-fit and in-form federer at wimbledon... :)