• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

*Official* Tennis Thread

Jono

Virat Kohli (c)
I had a bet on Rafa at 1.8 in the system. When he was 15-30 down on a service game in the first set it was matched.

Then made on Rafa for the third set at 0-2 down. So decent night.

Lost a bit on Brazil though.

ohtani's jacket

State Vice-Captain
Haha. Yeah let's not judge what a player actually says when judging their personality.

We should just base it on their forehand hey? :huh:
Yeah, let's pretend we know all about a player from their press conferences.

Why do you want to judge their personality, anyway? Do you honestly think picking holes in what they say can achieve that? What does it matter when you like Nadal or Serena no matter how they behave? I thought ticker was the most important thing?

Goughy

Hall of Fame Member
Ive been playing a lot of tennis the past year but dont claim to know a great deal about the players on tour.

Anyway, I was at the park with the kids and was chatting to another father who was a 'tennis freak.' He plays a lot and a lot of his free time travelling around Europe and N. America watching tour events (he seemed pretty wealthy) and he was talking about all these players Id never heard of.

Anyway (x2) I asked him for a name of a decent player that wasnt top 10 that I could follow and take as my guy. He suggested Gael Monfils. Good pick?

Jono

Virat Kohli (c)
Yeah, let's pretend we know all about a player from their press conferences.

Why do you want to judge their personality, anyway? Do you honestly think picking holes in what they say can achieve that? What does it matter when you like Nadal or Serena no matter how they behave? I thought ticker was the most important thing?
Wow, I'll say this again...

I do not dislike Federer because of his press conference comments. I dislike the fact that for years Federer has at times not been respectful or has been arrogant (no, not the same as confident) and the media and fans have pretended as if he's the most modest champion in history.

Overall I don't really care that he's arrogant in terms of how much I like him. Made that clear like 20 times. I hate the hypocrisy of it all though.

Last edited:

Jono

Virat Kohli (c)
Ive been playing a lot of tennis the past year but dont claim to know a great deal about the players on tour.

Anyway, I was at the park with the kids and was chatting to another father who was a 'tennis freak.' He plays a lot and a lot of his free time travelling around Europe and N. America watching tour events (he seemed pretty wealthy) and he was talking about all these players Id never heard of.

Anyway (x2) I asked him for a name of a decent player that wasnt top 10 that I could follow and take as my guy. He suggested Gael Monfils. Good pick?
Monfils is genuinely exciting to watch. A cool guy, brings the crowd into the match, has a very attractive style of tennis.

He'd be a cool guy to follow, but he'll definitely frustrate you at times. Wastes his talent a fair bit. But he's a good pick for sure.

My other recommendations:
- Marin Cilic
- Tomas Berdych (will probably be top 10 after Wimbledon though)
- Alexandr Dolgopolov (rank 43, will be a gun in a year or two)
- Thiemo de Bakker (rank 49, will also be a gun in a year or two)

Goughy

Hall of Fame Member
Monfils is genuinely exciting to watch. A cool guy, brings the crowd into the match, has a very attractive style of tennis.

He'd be a cool guy to follow, but he'll definitely frustrate you at times. Wastes his talent a fair bit. But he's a good pick for sure.

My other recommendations:
- Marin Cilic
- Tomas Berdych (will probably be top 10 after Wimbledon though)
- Alexandr Dolgopolov (rank 43, will be a gun in a year or two)
- Thiemo de Bakker (rank 49, will also be a gun in a year or two)
What do you think of Sam Querrey? He is someone that the guy said he knew pretty well though he didnt suggest I look to follow him. Looking at his profile he looks like the type of athlete I like (big, strong, a little flawed.)

My favourite players alltime are Todd Martin and Boris Becker. Who are the closest to those guys in game and style on the tour right now?

Last edited:

Jono

Virat Kohli (c)
Haha Todd Martin, that brings back memories.

I watched Martin and Becker when I was very young, so I probably wouldn't be able to give a proper comparison. I doubt you'll find many players playing a similar game to Martin nowadays though.

I like Querrey. Has a big game, and when he's on he's good to watch. But there's one reason why I wouldn't suggest choosing him. His attitude. Read this press conference:

Q. What happened out there, Sam?
SAM QUERREY: Um, just tired. Not into it. Mentally not there. I mean, you know what, I don’t know. Just not did not enjoy myself out there.
It’s been like that on and off for like a while. So I’m going home tomorrow.
Q. You had talked about being here for five weeks, you and John both putting in the time, the effort, and the matches. You won a ton of matches. You rethinking that a little bit?
SAM QUERREY: No, I mean, even the first week I was over here in Rome I lost first round. It was similar to a match like this. Passive not that I was passive today. The main thing is I didn’t enjoy myself on the court. Wanted off the court.
Q. Is it a natural reaction just being over here?
SAM QUERREY: No. I don’t know what it is. I just need to just be in a better mood or just need to enjoy the competition and enjoy being out there more than I do.
Right now, I mean, I’ll enjoy it, and as soon as one thing goes wrong, I’m done.
Q. How did Robby play?
SAM QUERREY: He played great. That’s the best I’ve seen him serve. I don’t know what the first serve percentage was, but it seemed pretty high. He was painting the lines and he was you know, he’s always had a great return and he was making me play.
It’s nice to see. He struggled a little bit this year, so hopefully he can win his next round and make a run here.
Q. We’re trying to make sense here. You played a lot of matches and you’re out in the first round. Andy didn’t play any matches, and he’s struggling with Jarkko right now. He just lost the third set.
SAM QUERREY: Yeah, I mean, you never know. You know, last summer I had a great summer. I played every day, basically.
You know, the year before when I played fourth round of the Open, I lost early in Cincinnati and played the Huggy Bear the week before the Open. Didn’t play a match for two weeks, and then I went deep in the Open that year.
So a lot of times it’s just how you’re feeling. You know, a lot people have different approaches to how they want to play. A lot of people want to play a lot of matches; some just want to play very few and get some practice in.
It’s all different. For me, too.
Q. Where is home that you’re going back to?
SAM QUERREY: California.
Q. Were you in dubs with John?
SAM QUERREY: I am right now. I won’t be in about an hour.
Q. Just want to get out of here?
SAM QUERREY: Yeah.
Q. So do you feel like going in you’re not in the frame of mind, or does it happen right in the middle of the fight?
SAM QUERREY: I think it happens in the middle. I think if you ask my coach, David, he might say otherwise. When I lost that second set tiebreaker and got broken in the first game, I was done. I wanted to be off the court.
I started thinking about leaving and pulling out of the doubles and how much I wanted to go home, how much I wasn’t enjoying.
You’re never gonna win a match if you’re just being negative. I’m only hurting myself.
Q. Isn’t that the definition of a professional, that you don’t despair so fully as the match progresses, that you somehow control your feelings?
SAM QUERREY: Yeah, I need to work on that. I’ve not been a professional the last, you know, on and off for the last few months. You know, you’re out there facing one opponent. I don’t want to face the opponent and myself.
You know, I just need to be better than today, in this case, it was Robby. It’s someone different every week. But I don’t want to be fighting myself out there and also fighting the opponent.
Q. Yet, Sam, you’ve had some good results on clay. You won Belgrade, won Houston. Are you fighting sort of a Jeckyll/Hyde part of yourself here?
SAM QUERREY: A little bit. Those are 250s, and they’re great. I love you know, a tournament win is a tournament win. A final is great. It builds my confidence, but I won Belgrade and my ranking didn’t move. I’m kind of past that point right now. Those 250s do nothing for me ranking wise. It’s all about the Masters Series and the Grand Slams.
That’s where I just have not been playing well. You know, I just need to mentally get it together in my head. I need to enjoy myself out there. I need to enjoy playing. You know, if a guy has a breakpoint against me, I should know, Hey, I’ve got one of the biggest serves out there. Let’s see you win this point off me.
But like I said, I just tank some points.
Q. What has David said about that?
SAM QUERREY: He thinks I’m a little tapped out, which I am. We haven’t really talked about it in depth yet, because I just basically finished and came right here.
Q. What’s next? Next tournament?
SAM QUERREY: Right now I’m scheduled to play in Queen’s.
Q. Do you think you’ll get there?
SAM QUERREY: I mean, I don’t know. I’m going home tomorrow, and then, yeah, hopefully I’ll be there.

Goughy

Hall of Fame Member
Thanks for that. After reading it, Sam Querrey will not be on my list of people to follow.

As for Martin, how young are you? :p He was in the US Open final as recently as 99

Anyway, Ive decide to follow a few guys. Ill take Monfils (20) based on the comments by you and the other guy.

Im leaning towards:

Benjamin Becker (71)
Viktor Troicki (42)
Evgeny Korolev (77)
Dr. Ivo (33)

Any feedback or insight apart from the fact I will not be celebrating very often :)

Last edited:

Jono

Virat Kohli (c)
Thanks for that. After reading it, Sam Querrey will not be on my list of people to follow.

As for Martin, how young are you? :p He was in the US Open final as recently as 99

Anyway, Ive decide to follow a few guys. Ill take Monfils (20) based on the comments by you and the other guy.
Im leaning towards:
Benjamin Becker (71)
Viktor Troicki (42)
Evgeny Korolev (77)
Dr. Ivo (33)

Any feedback or insight apart from the fact I will not be celebrating very often :)
Haha I'm 23, but Martin is still old school for me. Although that's perhaps because everytime he played he had grey hair. He looked cool, he could pull it off like Clooney does.

In all seriousness, it's harder to know a player's style properly when you're just a casual fan IMO, which I was in the 90s.

From your picks:
- Becker is quality on grass, but not much elsewhere. Tailend of his career now.
- Troicki is solid, but I haven't seen much of him. Pretty inconsistent from the results I have followed.
- Korolev well, has the game to beat a lot of players. Reckon he's good to watch. Not sure how he'll go in the future though. Hopefully will take the next step, but needs to show more. Also, he is Kournikova's cousin :p
- Karolvic is hilarious. Such a massive serve. I'd love to see him vs. Isner at Wimbledon. Pretty sure the 70-68 fifth set record between Isner and Mahut could be broken lol. Karlovic is a bit old now though. Not sure he has much left in the tank.

Lillian Thomson

Hall of Fame Member
What's prize money got to do with anything? Perhaps we should just give the entire pot to the two blokes who played for 11 hours - fortunately physical exersion isn't the be all and end all in the entertainment industry.

The Sean

Cricketer Of The Year
I'm a big fan of the whole equal pay for equal work thing, and I've always been of the opinion that women should absolutely get the same prizemoney if they play the same number of sets. But playing best-of-three rather than best-of-five and getting the same money seems wrong to me, and I suppose a one-side match like that just exacerbates the problem in my eyes because it's over so quickly without even a third set to play out. Just a bit of a bugbear of mine that I should probably get over but never will, TBH.

Lillian Thomson

Hall of Fame Member
I'm a big fan of the whole equal pay for equal work thing, and I've always been of the opinion that women should absolutely get the same prizemoney if they play the same number of sets. But playing best-of-three rather than best-of-five and getting the same money seems wrong to me, and I suppose a one-side match like that just exacerbates the problem in my eyes because it's over so quickly without even a third set to play out. Just a bit of a bugbear of mine that I should probably get over but never will, TBH.
Prize money is decided by the commercial revenue generated by the tournament. They're playing in the same tournament so they rightly get the same money. It's possible for the Men's and Ladies Champion to win the tournament and both play the same number of sets. You can't start dividing it up based on time spent on court.