• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

*Official* Tennis Thread

ohtani's jacket

State Vice-Captain
I'm having a debate against someone who says that Federer 'lost it' more than nadal won it, and that Federer made too many unforced errors and wasn't playing his 'A' game.
Federer didn't play his A game, but I don't agree that he lost it more than Nadal won it. Federer played some unbelievable tennis when he was in a hole, but couldn't hold serve. If he'd held serve on the break in the second set, he would've won in four (like I predicted), but Nadal is so good defensively and just as mentally tough as Federer. Federer's net approaches weren't the greatest and that cost him early and in the long run.

Federer is used to playing weaker opponents, who he breaks down. Nadal never broke down. In the fifth set, Nadal was holding serve, while Federer was fighting his way back from 15-40 or 15-30 nearly ever game. Federer had the advantage of serving first, but after he missed the break opportunity, he was more or less serving to stay in the game. I thought after he won the 9th game in that set, he'd win (since that was his bogey point in the first two sets), but Nadal was too strong on the baseline.

For as many unforced errors as there were, there were a tremendous amount of winners. Unforced errors don't necessarily mean that Federer would've gone on to win the point or that he missed a clear winner.

But if Federer had played his A game, it wouldn't have been a classic Wimbledon final. You can't win Grand Slams by simply playing your A game -- sometimes it's a grind, sometimes it's pressure points. Federer showed that behind his A game is some true grit.

ohtani's jacket

State Vice-Captain
BTW, this only shaves 300 points off Federer's lead in the rankings.

Nadal will almost certainly finish the year at number one in the ATP race, but I don't think he'll take over as World No.1 until next year.

Magrat Garlick

Global Moderator

Nadal will almost certainly finish the year at number one in the ATP race, but I don't think he'll take over as World No.1 until next year.
Thing is, Nadal has a lot of points he could earn at the US Open. If he reaches the final he's No 1. (Don't think he'll do that ftr, especially if he goes far at the Olympics.)

ohtani's jacket

State Vice-Captain
So how seriously are Federer and Nadal going to take the Olympics considering there are ranking points up for grab? You'd think in Federer's case that an Olympic medal would take on some significance at this time.

Simon

Request Your Custom Title Now!

Impossible, at december 31 the Race and overall rankings will be exactly the same.

Simon

Not sure if this is easily answerable, but something I was wondering last night, in the modern era (of official rankings) has anyone won five grand slams but never been world number 1?

Magrat Garlick

Global Moderator
Not sure if this is easily answerable, but something I was wondering last night, in the modern era (of official rankings) has anyone won five grand slams but never been world number 1?
Not quite.

Vilas won four and was highest world No. 2.

However, to phrase it slightly differently, Wilander had to win seven slams before he was ranked World No. 1.

Jono

Virat Kohli (c)
I read an article regarding that question somewhere. Can't remember what it said though, but I'm assuming Samuel is correct. I remember Wilander's name being mentioned.

Last edited:

Simon

interesting, Nadal will be number 1 if he wins the US open, so he could be looking at six slams to be #1, five if it happens before.

Jono

Virat Kohli (c)
Nadal's hardcourt seasons have always been pretty up and down. It'll be interesting to see how he goes at the US Open.

I know at the Aus Open he always seems to cop the 'new guy' on the scene who is kicking ass and taking names. Baghdatis, Gonzalez (although to be fair he wasn't knew, but no one saw his run coming) and then Tsonga.