• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

*Official* Tennis Thread

Simon

Request Your Custom Title Now!
Safin making the semis, didnt see that one coming, particuarly as in the past he's said Wimbledon is a waste of time and he never even gives it much thought. With this sort of momentum if it was on any surface but grass youd give him a big hope of beating the fed express.

Anil

Hall of Fame Member
nadal should blitz the winner of schuettler-clement...and feds-safin is still up in the air depending on which safin turns up....

Simon

Request Your Custom Title Now!
Clement looked like he was gaining the upper hand, obviously at 1 set all it could still go either way but I think Clement is more match tough right now.

Jono

Virat Kohli (c)
Safin making the semis, didnt see that one coming, particuarly as in the past he's said Wimbledon is a waste of time and he never even gives it much thought. With this sort of momentum if it was on any surface but grass youd give him a big hope of beating the fed express.
Haha his best quote about Wimbledon was:

"This tournament is a joke. Grass is for cows, I'm never coming back."

Love you Marat.
Haha you are kidding me right? You gone soft? For reference, I think he's a turd and a Jock but boy, people sure love a good bandwagon.
I actually don't understand this post. I've gone soft?

Last edited:

Jono

Virat Kohli (c)
Don't get people who have a beef with Murray TBH. He is just enjoying winning points and playing well, good on him I say. Whenever I get a 50/100 or some wickets when playing cricket, I do exactly what I feel like doing and that is usually acting like a bit of a ****, but why should anyone care. Good on him I say.
Don't fist pump 20 times after going 15-0 up FFS, particularly when you served a second serve and the opponent hit it into the net.

If its a gun shot, or a long point which you wore down your opponent, that's fine. Not every point. He was just playing to the crowd every point for the sake of it.

That being said, it did affect Gasquet. Obviously had no effect on my man RAFAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA!

PY

International Coach
I actually don't understand this post. I've gone soft?
The game was made meaningless by a bit of fist pumping? Was thinking you may have gone soft in the head, it's a sport where winning is the name of the game within reason and he didn't break any rules nor did he disrespect his opponent in doing so.

If you think that's disrespecting your opponent then you have 'gone soft'. :p

Jono

Virat Kohli (c)
I meant it makes his celebrations meaningless, and it doesn't have the 'intensity' and 'effect' that a huge COME ON or fist pump/look at the crowd does when they win a major point.

If you do it every point, it isn't as inspirational/uplifting.

PY

International Coach
At that stage, every point was a major point because he'd won jack before that, due to how well Gasquet was hitting.

Anyway, not sure why I'm discussing this, much less defending Murray as it's all a m00t point.

Jono

Virat Kohli (c)
At that stage, every point was a major point because he'd won jack before that, due to how well Gasquet was hitting.
Every point in a match that's gone 5 sets is always a major point. You don't see every player in a 5 set celebrating his opponent returning a serve in the net, esepcially when you're already a break up. He over-celebrated, its pretty simple and most people agree. I don't think eh crossed any lines, he didn't break any rules, and in fact it was a smart strategy since it got to Gasquet. I just think he looks dumb doing it.

At least Hewitt saves his CMON for when it matters. And I hate Hewitt.

For the record, I actually rate Murray and probably dislike him less than the Brits on this forum. I just seriously think he was shocking in the 5th set vs. Gasquet. There's playing to the crowd, and then there's just overdoing it. He overdid it. Simple really.

Anil

Hall of Fame Member
williams into saturday, awaiting williams...based on their past encounters, that's one final i will be glad to miss...

Jono

Virat Kohli (c)
Williams > Anil

Hopefully they win the women's doubles finals too. Would be awesome to see them literally own Wimbledon.

Last edited:

Jono

Virat Kohli (c)
Like a true gun, Serena breaks back immediately. Should finish this in the next 15 mins now. Zheng will be shattered.

Mister Wright

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
Don't usually watch matches that don't contain Hewitt, unless it's a final. But, I'll be making sure I've drunk enough Vs to watch the Safin v Federer game tonight. Hope it's a 5 setter.