• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

*Official* Tennis Thread

Jono

Virat Kohli (c)
Is Safin in the same half of the draw as Federer? Could possibly be a huge match up in the 4th round if he is

I'm hoping for an A-Rod victory tbh Ever since that 5-setter against Younis El Anyoui (sp?) in 2001 (i think) where he came out on top 19-17, he's been me favourite player. I'd love nothing more than to see the big-fella come out on top at the open. Mind you, federer might have something to say about it... but i'm hoping this is Roddick's year
Haha that was a blinder of a match. It was the 2003 Australian Open. Probably my 3rd favourite match ever tbh. Was brilliant viewing.

Anyway Federer losing was a bit of a surprise today, and Robredo going down showed he's not too much of a threat IMO. I like Robredo, he's an old school-esque tennis player, but he doesn't have the guns to beat the best consistently.

Jono

Virat Kohli (c)
Top job from Roddick to bring Federer down in 3 sets, 6-2 3-6 6-3 at the final of the Kooyong Classic today. I'm hoping it's a sign of things to come, Roddick winning that is :)

Worth noting to that it was Federers 1st loss since August 2006
Roddick probably deserved to beat him in the Masters Cup in Shangai late last year. Won the first set 6-4, had Federer on the ropes in the 2nd set tie-break with so many match point opportunities, but he couldn't find that one ace when he needed it, and Federer is just so damn good under pressure.

Simon

Request Your Custom Title Now!
hopefully Federer is due for a failure in a slam, i can see it happening here, he should run into Novak Djokovic in the 4th round. based on the draw my quarter finals line up looks like this

[14]Novak Djokovic vs [18]Richard Gasquet
[4]Ivan Ljubicic vs [6]Andy Roddick
[12]Tommy Haas vs [13]Tomas Berdych
[5]James Blake vs Kristof Vliegen

Simon

Kristof who :blink:

never heard of him tbh, any good?
young blegian player, im predicting he'll have a break through slam this year and i think his draw is quite good and hes ready to emerge as a good player. he briefly touched the top 30 last year and i wouldnt be surprised to see him top 15 this time next year...

Simon

just put on my first bets for the Aus open
Schnyder/Roddick as winners @ $1815

ATP Multi 1 @ $116.47
Querrey v Acasuso
Patience vs Bjorkman
Dlouhy vs Gabashvili
Gruel vs Lu
Mahut vs Monaco
Srichaphan vs Sela
Simon vs Delic

ATP Multi 2 @ $4.06
J Johansson vs Garcia Lopez
T Johansson vs Chiudenelli
Lopez vs Wilson
Monfils vs Bracciali
Berdych vs Lee

WTA Multi @ $14.77
Peer vs Oprandi
Likhotseva vs Vakulenko
Mauresmo vs Perry
Vaidisova vs Craybas
Arvidsson vs Sugiyama
Safarova vs Brianti
Krajicek vs Kremer
Garbin vs Gagliard

Last edited:

Pup Clarke

Cricketer Of The Year
My Predicted Winners
Mens:Roger Federer (Who else other than really nadal or maybe roddick will beat him)
Womens:Kim Clijsters

Johnners

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
Roddick had a tough 4-set match. Credit must go to Tsonga who looks capable of giving tournaments a big shake in the future. Had a fair forehand on him...

Matteh

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
This Fish v Ljubicic match looks like it could go either way.

I tipped the Fish win in the competition, so hopefully that'll pay off. :cool:

Simon

it was good for Fish to win, maybe this is his time. He was thought to be the next big thing a few years ago in America, but injuries have ruined his career thus far, a win against one of the top players in the world will do him well...

Simon

Novak Djokovic looking very impressive here, hes only 19 and he seems to have a very mature game. I think Federer will be wanting to watch him very closely before their likely 4th round meeting or we could have a major upset...

Jono

Virat Kohli (c)
Had the most fun at the tennis today. Was gladly far away from the Serb vs. Croat brawl, but saw some awesome matches.

Firstly had my share of perv matches watching Tatiana Golovin and Nicole Vaidisova, then saw a ripping match between Mardy Fish and Ivan Ljubicic. I was very tempted to get on Fish, but figured Ljubicic would get over the line in the end. I knew Fish would put up a fight, but what an upset he caused. Looked well and truly gone after the first set with Ljubicic serving so well, but he came back and looked a different player. So did Ljubicic.

Then the highlight of the day. Watching a random match on Court 13 between Lukas Dlouhy and Teimuraz Gabashvili. Started watching the match in the 4th set, and immediately jumped on Gabashvilli since he had come back from 2 sets to 0 down. He saved 4 match points to take the 4th set in a tie-break, and suddenly this huge crowd started to form, with some funny guys backing Gabashvilli as well (we started calling him The Basher). The 5th set was awesome, with him being 4-1 down, but saving around 10 match points hitting the best shots you will ever see. I hope there were cameras there because some of his ripping shots on match point down would top stuff that the big guns on Rod Laver would pull out. He ended up tragically losing the match 6-3, 6-1, 6-7, 6-7, 16-14. It was so fun, and because on Court 13 you're so close to the action it made it that much better. The Basher was cracking jokes with us when he was 12-11 up and all. Easily one of my favourite players now. What a champion. Hearbreaking he lost the match.

Best day of tennis. Left the house at 9:30am only buying a gen-ad afternoon ticket, yet arrived home at 12am thanks to the Court 13 match lasting till almost 11pm. Brilliance, definitely worth every cent and the long wait in the que.

pasag

RTDAS
Haha nice Jono. I had an awesome time as well. 5 set Safin Vs Becker match at Rod Laver tonight, nearly went till 1. Was great.

Simon

Anyone know what's up with Joachim Johansson? Retired after two games...injury playing up again?
yeh just another injury, he didnt go so well in adelaide so an early exit was always on the cars given it was his first grand slam in 18 months but i thought he'd be over his injuries, pretty disapointing for him no doubt...

Simon

Nalbandian is in some trouble at the moment, down a set and a break against Tipsarevic, hes a pretty decent player but Nalbandian should beat him really. He's in Haas' section of the draw so hopefully he goes out early.

Berdych another whos on at the moment, pretty much thrashing Lee and is looking good to go far here, a likely 4th round with Davydenko could be a big match...