• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

*Official* Tennis Thread

grecian

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
Well that was crap.

I like Fed, but I'm a person who prefers WTA over ATP, and it's hard for me not to notice the double-standard, Roger wins at 35 "oh it's amazing he's the greatest ever this is truly the golden era of ATP with the Goatest of goats, better than every person that ever existed, oh I've just wet my pants with more than one liquid".

Serena wins at 35 when pregnant "oh this is a weak era, terrible to watch"

Niall

International Coach
Well that was crap.

I like Fed, but I'm a person who prefers WTA over ATP, and it's hard for me not to notice the double-standard, Roger wins at 35 "oh it's amazing he's the greatest ever this is truly the golden era of ATP with the Goatest of goats, better than every person that ever existed, oh I've just wet my pants with more than one liquid".

I think the fact that Nadal cruised The French while Roger did the same with Wimbly, doesn't really sit well. Good for them obviously but a very underwhelming ending to these Slams.

Aussie Open was pretty fun at least.

OverratedSanity

Request Your Custom Title Now!
Well that was crap.

Tbf, people said this about Serena when she won too.

vcs

Well that was crap.

I think the fact that Nadal cruised The French while Roger did the same with Wimbly, doesn't really sit well. Good for them obviously but a very underwhelming ending to these Slams.

Aussie Open was pretty fun at least.
Gotta agree with that. That was as stress-free a final as possible for a Federer fan, though. :D

Federer produces his absolute best, magical moments when pushed, which he never was. Oh well, I guess he'll take the title anyway.

It's weird that a nearly 36-year old won the tournament without dropping a set, and still had a couple of gears left in him that were never really needed.

grecian

Tbf, people said this about Serena when she won too.
nah, they were some places that were effusive about Serena, but none that called womens tennis a golden era. I actually rejigged a post I did elsewhere from the Oz Open, and added the pregnant thing.

Personally I feel both tours have their problems now, but one isn't being highlighted.

Roger was restricted from slams for many years simply because people were better, so it's possible, why have the younger ones not done the same, when Murray, and Novak have faltered? It's like they're really a terrible tennis generation.

Last edited:

OverratedSanity

nah, they were some places that were effusive about Serena, but none that called womens tennis a golden era. I actually rejigged a post I did elsewhere from the Oz Open, and added the pregnant thing.

Personally I feel both tours have their problems now, but one isn't being highlighted.
Ah I get your point. There's definitely a bit of a double standard there. Probably because Serena's too great for her own good tbh.

srbhkshk

International Captain
Isn't that partially because the Men's tour has the big 4 + wawrinka, while the ladies basically have Serena and then an enormous gap in level between her and a number of #2s?

vcs

Roger was restricted from slams for many years simply because people were better, so it's possible, why have the younger ones not done the same, when Murray, and Novak have faltered? It's like they're really a terrible tennis generation.
The post Djokovic-Murray era have made the infamous "Weak Era" (8-)) of 2005-2007 when Federer piled up 3 Slams a year look like the pinnacle of competitiveness. At least it's blown that stupid argument right away.

grecian

Isn't that partially because the Men's tour has the big 4 + wawrinka, while the ladies basically have Serena and then an enormous gap in level between her and a number of #2s?
Well basically stan only started winning when he was close to his 30s, which rather illustrates my point of a lost generation. Serena creating an huge gap between her and others seems a really odd reason to do her down, the fact is in the WTA all generations are competing. No-one born in the 90s has won a male GS, only two have made finals, that's ridiculous in 2017, in the womens 3 have won and a fair few others have made finals. Oh and Murray has three slams, less than henin, Clijsters, Sharapova, venus who all competed in Serena's time. How was the gap in level for Fed before about 2008?

honestbharani

Whatever it takes!!!
How does it make sense to compare Grand Slam counts to judge how good someone was, if the very reason they were not winning was the greatness of the guy who was beating them and winning said slams.

grecian

How does it make sense to compare Grand Slam counts to judge how good someone was, if the very reason they were not winning was the greatness of the guy who was beating them and winning said slams.
Precisely my point, if you go on about how great this mens era was, then every win is magnificent. It's just a multiple circle-jerk of congratulation.

Last edited:

honestbharani

Whatever it takes!!!
I really do not follow the WTA these days. And I am a very casual tennis fan except when Roger is playing these days as well. But I did watch it back in the 90s and the noughties and I can tell you there is no way in hell was that era not competitive. Its just the genius of the man that he kept finding ways to defeat the multitude of challenges those very talented players threw at him. I dont know about the WTA since the Williams sisters' came in but in the 90s, the ATP seemed so much more competitive than the WTA.

vcs

WTA's peak was around 2000-2005 IMO, when the Williams Sisters, the Belgians, Davenport, Hingis, Capriati etc. were at or close to their best, with new stars in Sharapova and the other Russians coming up as well.

grecian

I really do not follow the WTA these days. And I am a very casual tennis fan except when Roger is playing these days as well. But I did watch it back in the 90s and the noughties and I can tell you there is no way in hell was that era not competitive. Its just the genius of the man that he kept finding ways to defeat the multitude of challenges those very talented players threw at him. I dont know about the WTA since the Williams sisters' came in but in the 90s, the ATP seemed so much more competitive than the WTA.
Why are you talking about the 90's when talking about Fed?

OverratedSanity

WTA's peak was around 2000-2005 IMO, when the Williams Sisters, the Belgians, Davenport, Hingis, Capriati etc. were at or close to their best, with new stars in Sharapova and the other Russians coming up as well.
Mauresmo had a couple of great years in there too

honestbharani

Whatever it takes!!!
Why are you talking about the 90's when talking about Fed?
I commented on Fed in the earlier part of the post. You mentioned being more of a WTA fan earlier, so I just said that I dont follow WTA these days and posted what I remembered from the time I did follow them.