• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

*Official* Pro-Wrestling Thread II

sledger

Spanish_Vicente
Has he developed a personality recently?
Still sadly lacking.

Weird really, when you see him interviewed irl he comes across as a really charismatic and interesting/funny guy. But when on screen that never really came across at all.

Can probably (partially) blame bad creative for that tbf. Though "Shelton's mama" was amusing, if in somewhat questionable taste lol

duffer

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
Still sadly lacking.

Weird really, when you see him interviewed irl he comes across as a really charismatic and interesting/funny guy. But when on screen that never really came across at all.

Can probably (partially) blame bad creative for that tbf. Though "Shelton's mama" was amusing, if in somewhat questionable taste lol
Yeah, I remember him as great in the ring but don't put a microphone near him type of a talent.

Vince gave him very little to work with creatively though as you said

Last edited:

Teja.

Global Moderator
It's crazy to me how basically everyone watching Lucha Underground felt like it was a revolution in kayfabe television and yet no one with more money has tried to produce a season based show like that again.

The first two seasons felt like I was watching the mortal kombat (in the game/movie world) tournament play out in a street wrestling style over the course of several weeks. Had my suspension of disbelief up like a great movie or TV show. The 40 min run time made sure that no promos were overstaying their welcome and the matches were competing to put on a show in the 10-15 minutes they had. The fact that they had multiple top stars vying for the belt without an established superman character was another plus.

A lot of wrestlers got shafted by the show in the end I guess wrestlers prefer the current system of house shows and live shows for their compensation but I hope pre-recorded episodic drama style wrestling shows can figure these things out and make a comeback because I think it has a lot of potential. My gf is not a fan of wrestling normally but was watching this **** with me like an anime.

Red_Ink_Squid

Cricketer Of The Year
Ha ha, I do remember some of the first lot. Shelton taking that super kick from Shawn Michaels

That Raw match vs HBK (and especially the finish) is still the main thing I associate with Shelton. Think I was in first year of uni when it happened, so must've been 18 years ago. Fair play to him for getting a gig all this time, but it's a shame he never made it bigger than he was all those years ago (or even reached that same level again).

sledger

Spanish_Vicente
Yeah, for whatever his limitations may have been, they definitely dropped the ball with him. Not main event material, but could have been a staple of the upper midcard for years. Bloke could have a good match with anyone, and (crucially) could make any opponent look great.

sledger

Spanish_Vicente
Could say very similar things about Ziggler actually tbh, though after it became clear they never had any serious plans for him (I.e. circa 2015 - crazy to think that's nearly ten years ago already) he just became a bit of a joke.

Heboric

International Debutant
It's crazy to me how basically everyone watching Lucha Underground felt like it was a revolution in kayfabe television and yet no one with more money has tried to produce a season based show like that again.

The first two seasons felt like I was watching the mortal kombat (in the game/movie world) tournament play out in a street wrestling style over the course of several weeks. Had my suspension of disbelief up like a great movie or TV show. The 40 min run time made sure that no promos were overstaying their welcome and the matches were competing to put on a show in the 10-15 minutes they had. The fact that they had multiple top stars vying for the belt without an established superman character was another plus.

A lot of wrestlers got shafted by the show in the end I guess wrestlers prefer the current system of house shows and live shows for their compensation but I hope pre-recorded episodic drama style wrestling shows can figure these things out and make a comeback because I think it has a lot of potential. My gf is not a fan of wrestling normally but was watching this **** with me like an anime.
Yeah I remember Lucha. Wasnt there issues with making the shows. I remember some of the talent very unhappy

sledger

Spanish_Vicente
I think the fact that Lucha Underground was just a TV show about a fictional wrestling company rather than an actual wrestling company is what did for it in the end.

It was fun (and definitely something a bit different) whilst it lasted though.

sledger

Spanish_Vicente
Of all the releases from this round I feel most sorry for Emma, I think.

Three times she has been called up/brought back to the main roster, only for them to basically do nothing with her and/or screw up her character and then cut her again.

Really sucks, because she's awesome. I guess critics might say that three chances is more than enough to get over and make things work, and normally that would probably be a fair comment, but I really feel that in her case despite her repeated hirings and firings she never really got a fair crack at it.

honestbharani

Whatever it takes!!!

There was an old thread I created back in a famous wrestling discussion board (Lords of Pain) asking why we dont have seasons for pro-wrestling? As it would help so much with the athletes' health and stuff too.

sledger

Spanish_Vicente
There was an old thread I created back in a famous wrestling discussion board (Lords of Pain) asking why we dont have seasons for pro-wrestling? As it would help so much with the athletes' health and stuff too.
I guess the answer is "because it would result in the promoters/wrestling companies losing out on lots of money".

honestbharani

Whatever it takes!!!
I guess the answer is "because it would result in the promoters/wrestling companies losing out on lots of money".
Well, this was around the first brand extension and my simple thought was, why not have RAW for one 6 month period and SD for the other 6 months? And then have WM be this one huge supercard where all talents can collide.

sledger

Spanish_Vicente
Well, this was around the first brand extension and my simple thought was, why not have RAW for one 6 month period and SD for the other 6 months? And then have WM be this one huge supercard where all talents can collide.
Same answer I guess. Those TV deals are big money, bigger than any other revenue stream these days, and the networks want their 2-3 hours a week all year round.