• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

A.F.L. Thread II

howardj

International Coach
My Lions were totally de-clawed on Saturday

What's worse, they were about equal in key effort stats such as contested possessions etc.

It was a skill deficit which I don't know how you fix up

vic_orthdox

Global Moderator
Great television.

Think his answers regarding Ablett were fair enough - it was really only one comment that Thompson made during 2010 and considering how many times he was asked about it, I think it was understandable that he ended up making a slip. And as he noted, it wasn't just the best player in the league that was being taken away from Geelong, it was far more than that with the Ablett heritage.

Bomber making sure he didn't unload on Creswell was interesting.

Jono

Virat Kohli (c)
Yeah was great viewing. His answers regarding supplement program were bs but I've heard it before. Just wahh about AFL and ASADA and the club's handling of it, but protected Hird during that interview.

Mike asked all the right questions. Kept prodding re: Cresswell. Was good. Also straight up asked about whether he does drugs. Good ****.

Disagree re: Ablett. They stopped talking and that is widely accepted. The idea that that happened because of his frustration at the AFL and the introduction of Gold Coast being able to take players etc. doesn't fly. He was hypocritical to Gaz.

Last edited:

Jono

Virat Kohli (c)
Also the idea that there are 20-25 people more responsible than he and Hird re: the injections. Who the hell are they? The masseuse?

vic_orthdox

Global Moderator
Also the idea that there are 20-25 people more responsible than he and Hird re: the injections. Who the hell are they? The masseuse?
Certainly the blokes who jumped early (e.g. Corcoran, Robson) so there's a feeling that the AFL wanted people who were still at the club at the end.

Think Thompson felt especially aggrieved considering that he was in a reasonably "part time" role as assistant coach rather than overseeing day to day operations. As Mike alluded to last night, there was still that feeling last year from some Essendon people, when he was the coach, that he wasn't "hands on" enough.

Jono

Virat Kohli (c)
He basically said if Dean Robinson had suggested the same injection regime at Geelong it would have not been permitted to go ahead. That's putting all the blame on the administration and none on the coaching staff.

The other point is Bomber kept separating the "unethical" from the "illegal". Yet he didn't believe he should have had to pay his $30k fine. His penalty wasn't for injecting illegal drugs into the players. It was for being a part of a poorly governed regime. Him being hands off cos he cbf isn't an excuse really.

I think its quite clear that Hird went to Dank and Robinson and said "these guys need to get bigger. Make it happen". Dank then promised them the world and Hird was wilfully ignorant to the details.

Jono

Virat Kohli (c)
Off topic, Vic why does Sam Newman not rate Bomber as a coach? He said on his Open MIke a few years back that he thinks Bomber just had a good team and anyone could have coached them to a flag.

I find that baffling. Especially since Bomber brought glory to the Cats that Newman would have been wanting to see for yonks.

vic_orthdox

Global Moderator
Off topic, Vic why does Sam Newman not rate Bomber as a coach? He said on his Open MIke a few years back that he thinks Bomber just had a good team and anyone could have coached them to a flag.

I find that baffling. Especially since Bomber brought glory to the Cats that Newman would have been wanting to see for yonks.
Was never enamoured with how much we possessed the ball. Think he'd pretty much be unhappy with any coach post Denis Pagan.

vic_orthdox

Global Moderator
He basically said if Dean Robinson had suggested the same injection regime at Geelong it would have not been permitted to go ahead. That's putting all the blame on the administration and none on the coaching staff.

The other point is Bomber kept separating the "unethical" from the "illegal". Yet he didn't believe he should have had to pay his $30k fine. His penalty wasn't for injecting illegal drugs into the players. It was for being a part of a poorly governed regime. Him being hands off cos he cbf isn't an excuse really.

I think its quite clear that Hird went to Dank and Robinson and said "these guys need to get bigger. Make it happen". Dank then promised them the world and Hird was wilfully ignorant to the details.
Think these are all connected to the point about the review at Geelong - let the coach coach.

Coach decides that it is a priority that his players put on size to compete with the best sides. That is up to the football department to organise; any of the support staff go through the football department if they have any issues, and it is up to the football department to monitor it. Same with doctors, physios, strength and conditioning, etc.

Note how Thompson mentioned that it never would have gotten through Steve Hocking, yet Neil Balme was the head of football at that stage. There should be more than one layer in the football department. If the coach has to look after all these things, he can never seriously do what he is supposed to.

Thus, Thompson would argue, if the coach is well down the tree on this part, then an assistant coach should be even lower.