• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

A.F.L. Thread II

Spikey

Request Your Custom Title Now!
On the otherhand, Leon Davis massively over-achieved compared to his usual output in finals. It all works out the same.

vic_orthdox

Global Moderator
Going to be interesting, the Hird thing. Obviously they've heeded the example of Voss and are going to put in Laidley or Williams to oversee things. Just don't see how he's going to have as good a knowledge of all things AFL in comparison to his counterparts, or even the highly qualified assistants around the traps.

howardj

International Coach
Yep, determination and being a smart bloke only gets you so far.

Like, I am determined and intelligent, but I can't coach.

You have to know footy, and manage 40 plus blokes.

Know which ones to hug, which ones to boot up the bum.

Maybe Hird does, but geez it's a big punt - based principally at this stage on sentiment I would say.

benchmark00

Going to be interesting, the Hird thing. Obviously they've heeded the example of Voss and are going to put in Laidley or Williams to oversee things. Just don't see how he's going to have as good a knowledge of all things AFL in comparison to his counterparts, or even the highly qualified assistants around the traps.
As I was saying to some other **** who posts on this site, Bombers have a list that are as far away from a flag as anyone in the comp.

Hird will more than likely grow into becoming a decent enough coach, in the meantime the club will enjoy the benefits of having an extremely marketable person as head coach.

Jono

Virat Kohli (c)
WOW! Dodged a major bullet here.

One of my best mates (Essendon scum) was making ****ty FB statuses about how Hird would take the Bombers to Premiership glory next year. Got annoyed and yelled at him how Hird will only be an assistant, not senior yet.

He said I should put my money where my mouth is. So I offered 10-1 odds. He was being a dick and wanted 20-1 and said he'd only put $10 on it. I said I'd only give 20-1 if he put $20 on it, otherwise if he only risks $10, I'll only give 10-1 odds. He said no.

No bet placed, I saved myself $400 :cool:

Jono

Virat Kohli (c)
Btw, the faceless men of the Essendon Football Club took down Knights, and then put in place Hird.

ALP leadership change all over again :ph34r:

Matt79

Global Moderator
No cases sent to the match review panel after the video review. I feared Jolly may well have got a week for hitting Kosi, so big relief. Would have been cruel if we got stuck with Fraser at this stage. With Gardiner out, that's a big result.

Will be interesting with Hird. At least he and the club has the template of Voss to study to avoid a similar mess. Don't reckon he'll do that well myself - Tim Watson all over again.

Matt79

Global Moderator
Footy Classified are a ****en joke. Monday after a drawn grand final, and they have Caro whinging about how Hird has lied to "us" re his coaching, and playing a five minute clip of "On the Couch". I know they've got a different focus to the other footy shows, but there's a disconnect about how much they care about coaching changes vs the result of a grand final compared to the majority of people. It's a big story, but do it after the first break!

vic_orthdox

Global Moderator
Hmm, yeah, but I think that - from a layout and presentation POV - you're better off getting it out of the way, and then spending the rest of the time on the issues surrounding the GF.

Matt79

Global Moderator
Hmm, yeah, but I think that - from a layout and presentation POV - you're better off getting it out of the way, and then spending the rest of the time on the issues surrounding the GF.
Maybe, but talk about the GF for a minute, then say "and we'll talk about it in detail in a minute, but briefly Hird...". Dont have Hytchy and Caro salivating and gloating....

Spikey

Maybe Hird does, but geez it's a big punt - based principally at this stage on sentiment I would say.
+ the board trying to get back in the fans good books.

I don't agree at all with Hird coming in as coach (then again I didn't really agree with Knights getting the sack so I'm a loner within the essendon world). We've seen with Voss that you really need some experience before taking the top job, and with Ratten that a fan favourite and a passionate love for the club (and so on) isn't always enough. He needed to become an assistant Although in one aspect I'm kinda happy, because if he did come in as an assistant and we lost two-three games in a row..................

Don't really agree that we're the furthest away from building a premiership list, purely because we have got some good young KPP's and rucks and those of course take the longest. But the midfield aside from Jobe is a shambles. Still, Freo last season had the worst midfield in the comp and all of a sudden in one pre-season they developed a more than solid one so I'm optimistic.

And thank god I'm in Sydney and don't have to put up with Caro - of course he lied. He's been lying out of his teeth since pressure first started being applied on Knights, but there's not much Hird could have done. He certainly couldn't have said: "**** yeah I want his job that Richmond bastard is ruining the club"....

Matt79

Global Moderator
Cloke is a funny looking guy. Doesn't look much like Cam or Jason. Jeez he's caused me some heartburn this year. Kudos for fronting up - would have been easy to say he'd prefer not to given he'd know the questions re his misses would be coming.