• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

The MMA/UFC Thread

Blocky

Banned
Hope Rousey runs through Nunes.. Nice to have a dominant champ. Plus I want the Rousey/Holm rematch.
Rousey will only be a dominant champ if she stops believing she can actually trust her stand up though. If she still continues thinking that her hands are a great asset, she'll struggle against any fighter like a Nunes, or a Holm. If she goes back to looking to get in the clinch, take them down and submit them, then she'll go back to being dominant until arguably Cyborg if that fight ever comes off.

No reason Nunes couldn't become a dominant champion though, if she gets better conditioning, she hits harder than any 135lb female, has decent take down defense and isn't a bad roller on the ground.

indiaholic

International Captain
YouTube algorithms don't understand the difference between footage being used for commentary/criticism vs piracy. You end up with only pirated videos where the orientation is flipped and lens flares are randomly added to fool the algo.

Blocky

Banned
YouTube algorithms don't understand the difference between footage being used for commentary/criticism vs piracy. You end up with only pirated videos where the orientation is flipped and lens flares are randomly added to fool the algo.
The algorithm checks whether any footage is identical to footage being displayed under copyright by a company. You can discuss it, you can show stills and you can highlight very brief sections, but if you have it on longer than fifteen seconds, expect to be excluded.

It stops content aggregators milking other peoples content in my view.

indiaholic

International Captain
She doesn't need to trust her stand up. She can take one on the chin and then clinch up. Nunes is nowhere near as good as Holm at getting out of range.

indiaholic

International Captain
Yeah I understand why YouTube does it.. They just need a better system where you can challenge the take downs.

Blocky

Banned
She doesn't need to trust her stand up. She can take one on the chin and then clinch up. Nunes is nowhere near as good as Holm at getting out of range.
Nunes is a much harder puncher than anyone Rousey has fought though, Holm has heavy kicks but despite being a pro boxer, her punching has never been that lethal. I also think Holm gets blatantly over-rated based on her performance against Rousey, who fought completely the wrong tactics against her. Holm in UFC hasn't actually beaten that many names, and has now taken multiple losses.

Rousey should be favorite, and if she closes the distance and gets in the clinch, it'll be interesting - but if she gets caught early, she could go into her shell, many fighters become shells of themselves after they're first KO'ed.

Bummed out that Velasquez isn't on the card, expect that Cruz will absolutely dominate Garbrandt and send him crying back home to Urijah, Dillashaw will win easily against Lineker, as Lineker really only has bombs and nothing else, think Hendricks vs Magny could steal the show.

indiaholic

International Captain
I will be heart broken if Cruz gets flash KOed... Hope TJ wins too.. That is a rematch I want to see. Cain is a huge loss but then his injury record is not the best and this was kinda expected.

I don't really rate Holm. Just think her evasiveness makes her a better match against Rousey. Nunes does square up to throw those punches and that is basically what Rhonda is waiting for.

Blocky

Banned
Cruz is so defensively sound though, I just don't see him getting caught.. I also think that Garbrandt has fought good fighters, but this is his first great fighter and Cruz is very unfairly ranked, the guy is legitimately better than Mighty Mouse and had he not been injured so frequently, he'd be challenging the GOAT title.

Holm's evasiveness was only possible because Ronda has the worst footwork I've seen in a stand up fighter, and was trying to bumrush the superior striker the entire fight. Tate (who if there had been a 125lb division, would have been a beast) showed that Holm wasn't that great against the right gameplan.

indiaholic

International Captain
Holm's evasiveness is not that effective against wrestling style take downs. Absolutely wonderful against Judo though.

indiaholic

International Captain
Cruz gets underrated because of his injuries but I don't think that is wrong.. MM has demonstrated more of his abilities..

Blocky

Banned
Holm's evasiveness is not that effective against wrestling style take downs. Absolutely wonderful against Judo though.
You say that, but the one time Rousey attempted to get set and clinch, she got the takedown.

Rousey went into that fight telling everyone she was a better boxer than Holm and would prove it. It was arrogance that cost her that fight.

indiaholic

International Captain
Bit of that but you have to get close enough to get into the clinch.. Holm's game is built around one or two quick strikes followed by circling away... Not at all easy to close the distance enough to get into the clinch. Decent work from Holm to get out of it once she was there too..

Blocky

Banned
Bit of that but you have to get close enough to get into the clinch.. Holm's game is built around one or two quick strikes followed by circling away... Not at all easy to close the distance enough to get into the clinch. Decent work from Holm to get out of it once she was there too..
It's very easy to look like a master with footwork when you have someone coming gun barrel straight at you every time, with no head movement, no lateral movement and overcomitting to every shot. It was just completely the wrong tactics from Rousey, I think if they ever rematch, and Rousey gets her head out of her ass and fights her more like she did Tate in their bouts, she'll get a similar result.

cnerd123

likes this
I will be heart broken if Cruz gets flash KOed... Hope TJ wins too.. That is a rematch I want to see. Cain is a huge loss but then his injury record is not the best and this was kinda expected.

I don't really rate Holm. Just think her evasiveness makes her a better match against Rousey. Nunes does square up to throw those punches and that is basically what Rhonda is waiting for.
I love Cruz, but a Cody flash KO win would be stunning and make for some awesome reactions. Plus I bet we get an instant rematch.

A Cruz/TJ rematch would be great too.

Nunes/Rousey is gonna be fun. I think the Heavy Hands podcast analysis of it was great. They noticed that when Rousey gets hit, she goes into Fight and not Flight mode, and that if she survives Nunes' striking she's going to work even harder for the takedown and the finish. It's also unlikely that Nunes will stay on the outside and out-strike Rousey at a range like Holm did, because she is a finisher and doesn't like to take fights deep, and so she will be getting into clinching-range. Basically this is going to be a violent slobber knocker of a fight with a definite finish. Can't wait.

indiaholic

International Captain
And if Cruz loses and Dillashaw wins we are getting a TJ Gabrandt fight.. Not too hyped for that mostly because I am a Cruz nuthugger.

Blocky

Banned
I don't see Garbrandt beating Dillashaw either, Dillashaw has a hell of a chin and is much better technically than Garbrandt. I think Garbrandt is a slightly better Sage Northcutt, good presentation for the UFC and will beat good, but not great fighters.