• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Euro 2008 draw

Stefano

School Boy/Girl Captain
Hi Stefano, more important matters than the choking bull-running pantswetters to think about. How about Netherlands vs Italy as the first game of the tournament for them!

I see a 1-1 tactical draw with both teams advancing in the end.
First game is usually tough for Italy. Especially at Euro Championship, where Italy have never been brilliant. It is rather difficult to make a prediction right now. It is too early: we don't know who will play, who will be in top shape, who will be injured. There are so many factors to think about, so right now it is too early to make predictions. Let's wait!

I fear the match vs France. Although this French team is not good as it was some years ago, when Italy and France play together it is always a tough match. Italy vs France is the last match of the group. Let's see what happens.

By the way: many days per week, I live in Klagenfurt, Austria, which will host 3 matches:

- Germany vs Poland
- Poland vs Croatia
- Poland vs Germany.

I hope to get a ticket for at least 1 match.

BoyBrumby

Englishman
Meh. They still bothering with this? Clearly pointless now. :sleep:

Anyway:

Like a Shockeroo supporter can talk....8-)

I mean your muppets got knocked out in the first round of the Asia Cup itself and then proceeded to whinge about everything that was conspiring against them.

I think you'll find...

they actually made the quarters and only lost on penalties. Which, as an English-speaking nation, they were almost contractually obliged to do.

aussie

Hall of Fame Member
Well i think it does, firstly they have the best combination of strikers in Europe ATM in Villa, Torres, Raul, Morientes all top class then there is Tamudo of Espanyol who have been very good form the last season or two.

The have arguably the best keeper in Europe in Casillas who prevents two very good keepers in Reina & Palop from starting who would be 1st choice keeper in a fair few European nations.

Mid-field well although i think the Italian trio of Guttuso/Pirlo/Ambrosini is the best in Europe, the spanish are hot in that area as well. Their regulars in Xavi, Fabregas, Albelda, Xabi, Iniesta world class operators & in back-up they have blokes like Arteta playing superbly for Everton & hasn't even gotten a call-up as yet, Luiz Garcia who unfortunately hasn't been in the national squad of late but a brilliant all-round player no doubt & Guti who seems to be banished to club football also a excellent player who along with Becks & RVN was Real key trio in Madrid title win last season. They have some of the best wingers in the buisness also in Joaquin, Vicente & Silva. Overall shows a team with superb depth in mid-field.

At the back they are solid if not spectacular since other than Puyol & Ramos (who ATM is the best right-back in Europe) no one else would i consider a top-class player.

All they need to do is play as a team & they could do some serious damage to any side in Euro 2008.

Barney Rubble

International Coach
Well i think it does, firstly they have the best combination of strikers in Europe ATM in Villa, Torres, Raul, Morientes all top class then there is Tamudo of Espanyol who have been very good form the last season or two.

The have arguably the best keeper in Europe in Casillas who prevents two very good keepers in Reina & Palop from starting who would be 1st choice keeper in a fair few European nations.

Mid-field well although i think the Italian trio of Guttuso/Pirlo/Ambrosini is the best in Europe, the spanish are hot in that area as well. Their regulars in Xavi, Fabregas, Albelda, Xabi, Iniesta world class operators & in back-up they have blokes like Arteta playing superbly for Everton & hasn't even gotten a call-up as yet, Luiz Garcia who unfortunately hasn't been in the national squad of late but a brilliant all-round player no doubt & Guti who seems to be banished to club football also a excellent player who along with Becks & RVN was Real key trio in Madrid title win last season. They have some of the best wingers in the buisness also in Joaquin, Vicente & Silva. Overall shows a team with superb depth in mid-field.

At the back they are solid if not spectacular since other than Puyol & Ramos (who ATM is the best right-back in Europe) no one else would i consider a top-class player.

All they need to do is play as a team & they could do some serious damage to any side in Euro 2008.
So they have the best strikers, maybe the best 'keeper, the second best midfield and a mediocre defence. I'm confused as to how you came to the conclusion that they were "easily the best on paper". Methinks you might have spoken a little too soon?

Matteh

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend

Germany have the best midfield and strikers itbt.

sledger

Spanish_Vicente
So they have the best strikers, maybe the best 'keeper, the second best midfield and a mediocre defence. I'm confused as to how you came to the conclusion that they were "easily the best on paper". Methinks you might have spoken a little too soon?
exactly, well said rubble.

Stefano

School Boy/Girl Captain
I have been watching soccer since 1981. Before each competition (World Cup or Euro Championship), I have heard this comment. Spain is great, Spain is good, they will do serious damage, etc..

Have they done anything good? Hardly ever! In more than 25 years of watching football, only once did I see Spain playing well in a major tournament: 1984 Euro Championship, when they reached the final. Apart from that, Spain has always choked. In the 1980s, Spain had a great team with Zubizareta, Butragueno, Michel... But they were not able to reach a semifinal! Spain is even worse than England at choking!