• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Who was the better manager for England?

Who was the better manager for England?

• Total voters

BoyBrumby

Englishman
Lost when it mattered though :@
lost it when it mattered perhaps..
Not really, tbf. Drawing with yer Argies after playing for the better part of an hour (& having a goal contentiously disallowed) was no mean achievement. I actually rate Hoddle as the best tactical manager we've had since I've been watching (& I'm obviously not just going to blow smoke up his arse for the sake of it because of his Spuds connections), but was decidedly third-rate when it came to man-management. The old cripple-kicker possibly got the job a decade too early; he was too close to the players' ages when he took over.

Not too many other England managers would've taken us to Rome and got us a draw to qualify.

sledger

Spanish_Vicente
Not really, tbf. Drawing with yer Argies after playing for the better part of an hour (& having a goal contentiously disallowed) was no mean achievement. I actually rate Hoddle as the best tactical manager we've had since I've been watching (& I'm obviously not just going to blow smoke up his arse for the sake of it because of his Spuds connections), but was decidedly third-rate when it came to man-management. The old cripple-kicker possibly got the job a decade too early; he was too close to the players' ages when he took over.

Not too many other England managers would've taken us to Rome and got us a draw to qualify.
yeah agree with all of that actually, that said, his record since leaving England has hardly been great.

BoyBrumby

Englishman
yeah agree with all of that actually, that said, his record since leaving England has hardly been great.
Was decent at Saints, but the Spuds job seems to have done for him. Even then he took them to a League Cup final. Might not sound much, but they've been living on scraps for years. :happy:

Matteh

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend

Indeed. Some can't go to London and get a draw to qualify.

GIMH

Norwood's on Fire

I meant the Romania game tbh, should have picked Owen from the start.

yeah, he could have done a great job for us, and yeah, he should have got the job later, definitely agree. He wasn't rigid in selecting 4-4-2 like most managers are, and gave beckham, Owen, Campbell etc their breaks

IIRC though, weren't we in quite the pickle in our Euro 2000 group when he left?

BoyBrumby

Englishman
IIRC though, weren't we in quite the pickle in our Euro 2000 group when he left?
Can't honestly remember. I know we'd lost in Sweden (and think we were ahead) but we invariably do. It was the game that lead Sir Arsene to sign Ljungberg; he scored one of the Swedes' goals.

I know we ended up needing Sweden to do us a favour (KK was in charge by then tho), but happily they delivered and we dicked the sweaties in the play-offs.