• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Marion Jones 'admits to Olympic doping'

chaminda_00

Hall of Fame Member
The thing with athetics and especially the 100 metres is the fact that no one has really stayed at the top of the game for a long time. There are so many guys and girls that go from zero to hero overnight, then straight back down to zero again.

If someone could maintain their performances over a 2-3 year period then I personally might value their performances more. When runners are dropping 0.3 of a second over a couple months. Its hard to not think they are on something. Then once a major championship is over they go back to being old speeds.

Sprinting just seem to have become who is just on the best stuff wins. Maybe its not as bad as it seems, but really who was the last dominate sprinter over atleast 2 years.

GIMH

Norwood's on Fire
That's very naive of you. I think most of these professional athletes have, or will have by the end of their careers, taken performance enhancing drugs. It's just too hard to compete without them.
Most is a bit excessive Perm. More than will ever be caught, for sure, but to say most is dramatic IMO

Anyway, has Jones' gold for the 200 (or was it the 100?) gone to that greek drugs cheat? Yeah, I guess I can see where Perm was coming from...

chaminda_00

Hall of Fame Member
Most is a bit excessive Perm. More than will ever be caught, for sure, but to say most is dramatic IMO

Anyway, has Jones' gold for the 200 (or was it the 100?) gone to that greek drugs cheat? Yeah, I guess I can see where Perm was coming from...
She is under a drug cloud herself.

Perm

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend

Possibly, but I'm rather cynical about drugs at the top level. They are becoming increasingly common, and it seems very unlikely that clean athletes can compete with those using performance enhancing drugs.

Craig

World Traveller
Possibly, but I'm rather cynical about drugs at the top level. They are becoming increasingly common, and it seems very unlikely that clean athletes can compete with those using performance enhancing drugs.
And yet there are plenty who do.

Does that mean somebody like Cathy Freeman was on drugs as well?

Craig

World Traveller
Marion Jones is off to jail for six months for lying to investigators.

Actually in places like France, the use of performance enhancing drugs is illegal and the person taking them or supplying them can be sent to jail under 'Sporting Fraud'. IIRC places like Italy and Spain have this law as well, not sure of other European Countries. Although I imagine Germany would have similar laws.