• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Your favourite team - why, how, when,what?!

Cabinet96

Global Moderator
Not been a good time for my Somerset support btw. Buttler, Compton and Kieswetter all leaving in the last two years.

Spikey

Request Your Custom Title Now!
EPL - Manchester City. Father supported Man City. I don't really know why he did. I believe his father was a Tottenham supporter. My father missed the period of success in the 60s-early 70s too. So I don't know how it happened, but my bro and I support City. Somewhat oddly, the season where I followed City the most was when Elano and we had the crooked Thai as owner. Being in Sydney and not having Foxtel, it was kinda hard to follow and I relied on forums, and when the new owners took over, Bluemoon, which was my forum, turned into a cesspool, with complaints after every slightly disappointing game, filled with calls to sack Hughes and buy these wizzkids I've never heard of, and I faded away. I keep on meaning to really get back into it. Find the right people to follow on twitter, the right blogs. Follow it beyond City and the EPL. Learn about formations and all that crap. Maybe I'll do it next season.

update on this. have since followed a couple of accounts beyond the club PR ones. yet to find any good blogs. dipping my toes back into the bluemoon forum

Dan

Hall of Fame Member
Play some FM imo. Forces you to learn formations and **** when things you think would work, result in your expensive team of brilliant players losing 5-0 to Sunderland.

Dan

Hall of Fame Member
I've always tended to support individual players, more so than teams. I don't know, every professional team has their ****s I guess.

County Cricket -- Somerset & Warwickshire. Somerset came about as a result of a love for Tres, a bit of a man-crush on Compton, and Buttler being so damn good. Now Compton and Buttler are gone, but Lewis Gregory and the Overtons are promising enough young players, Trego's a cult hero, and who doesn't love George Dockrell? Warwickshire support is basically a result of 'Chris Woakes > you' and that's about it. About a decade ago I was a Surrey man, mostly because they were so ****ing boss on ICC 2001 (Bicknell, Ramps, Salisbury and Saqlain :wub:).

Australian Cricket -- NSW + Sixers. I don't think it needs much explaining, really.

International Cricket -- NZ > Aus > Bangladesh > South Africa these days. Too many ****s in the Aussie side to actually like them, but TPC and nationalism keep me wanting them to win. Meanwhile NZ plays an attractive brand of cricket and have the utterly adorable KW in their side.

NZ Cricket -- Northern Districts. Yeah, I know, agribusiness. Williamson + Southee + Boult + Santner + Vettori far outweigh the Bradburns and Devciches of that team, however.

European Football -- Started as a Liverpool fan, like most Aussies, because success & Harry Kewell. Faded away when I realised the fans were overwhelmingly ****s. Now I'm a bit of a Barcelona man, having shamelessly bandwagoned in the Guardiola era because a) they were good and b) I guess I liked the style of football they were playing. Not to mention Messi seemed like a relatively down-to-earth star player, in comparison to Ronaldo and the various EPL players with their **** haircuts and egos the size of small countries.

Australian Football -- Sydney FC because they're the locals, but I don't follow it closely at all.

NRL -- Cronulla Sharks. Again, my local team and I don't really care about the NRL all that much. Previously had stints as a Storm supporter (in about '03 or '04, so it wasn't *really* bandwagoning even though my support was basically a result of 'Cronulla suck and they just lost to the purple team. Purple team it is') and a Tigers supporter because my teacher was a Tigers supporter and I didn't actually watch NRL anyway.

AFL -- For some reason liked St Kilda and Essendon when I was ~10. Now I don't give a **** unless the Swans are playing Hawthorn, and even then it's only to give my Hawks-supporter friend crap.

NFL -- Never followed it at all but I'm gonna say the Packers because public ownership and this.

Spikey

Request Your Custom Title Now!
Play some FM imo. Forces you to learn formations and **** when things you think would work, result in your expensive team of brilliant players losing 5-0 to Sunderland.
fm is so vast though. i tried it for a bit and just got so lost. maybe starting to play fifa again will make it easier to get into fm though

Cabinet96

Global Moderator
fm is so vast though. i tried it for a bit and just got so lost. maybe starting to play fifa again will make it easier to get into fm though
This genuinely worked for my circa 2012 ftr. Helped me get my interest in football back quite a bit.

cpr

International Coach
Like he's going to learn **** about formations, tactics etc watching that shower....

Will see more intricate, short passes watching the crossbar challenge on Soccer AM...

Dan

Hall of Fame Member
I have absolutely no clue, but have picked up so much from 24 hours spent playing FM since I downloaded it last week.

I mean, I still can't win a game even with Man United and 60 million pounds, but I'm learning something (I think). Agree with Nate on FIFA Manager mode though, good starting point I guess.

Cabinet96

Global Moderator
Fifa manager mode has different formations, basic different tactics (possession or counter attack, how much to press, sit deep or play offside trap, etc.) attributes for all the players on your team so you can get a basic idea of what they're good at, and the ability to scout the rest of the world so you can see the best players overseas.

Obviously it's not perfect, their scouting isn't flawless, but it genuinely works. When I played my first Fifa for nearly three years, after getting it at christmas in 2011, I immediately tried to sign some Belgium kid playing in France I'd never heard of because he and Mario Götze were the standout youngsters. Three years later he's just won Premier League player of the year.

Dan

Hall of Fame Member
I started a FIFA game with Barcelona, and at some point in my second season the Board forced me to sell Messi to Real Madrid for about 250mil.

Needless to say, after spending that, I'm damn near unstoppable.

Cabinet96

Global Moderator
My greatest achievement was taking Accrington Stanley up the divisions. Sadly I was sacked after losing the Champions League final to Barcelona and finishing 5th in the Prem. Cause **** sentiment when you didn't complete any of the goals we set you for the first season in your career.