• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Pro Cycling Thread

Craig

World Traveller
At this stage I'm 85-90% going to this year's race. I will combine with a trip to England as well and see more of the countryside the London and Manchester.

Matteh

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
At this stage I'm 85-90% going to this year's race. I will combine with a trip to England as well and see more of the countryside the London and Manchester.
Cotswolds are worth a trip/cycle. :cool:

PhoenixFire

International Coach
Read about it a lot recently, would be good if i got the chance to visit it someday.
I've got a book on him that I'd reccomend. 'Put me back on my bike - In search of Tommy Simpson', by William Fotheringham, a great read. ISBN 0-224-06186-0.

Craig

World Traveller
Real shame that the Ventoux isn't in it this year, always my favourite stage, I've cycled it myself.
Oh I will rid up it alright if I go.

The plan would be to see the Tour, go to England (maybe say hello to some of the CW members if they like), climb some of the Alps in France, climb the Ghilasso (around an hour north of Milan) and if possible see the World Champions in Germany. Of course I aim to see cricket in the meantime.

The climbs used in the Tour group are Plateau Bielle, Port de Bales (never used before), Tourmalet (not used in this year's race), and Col de Aubsique.

Craig

World Traveller
Well it seems as though Alejandro Valverde has rejected the chance to join T-Mobile and will stay with his current team with a reported 3m euros a season, which will put huge strain on their budget, but it is that or let him go to T-Mobile and become Roger Hammond's lead out man this July (well he supposed to be going) :ph34r: :p

Their team would be at this stage:

Michael Rogers
Michael Barry
Bernhard Eisel
Roger Hammond
Linus Gerdermann (This guy will be a star in the hills)
Guiseppe Guerini
Serhiy Gonchar
Axel Merckx
Patrik Sinkewitz

Decent squad, with chances inthe time trials and in breakaways.

Matteh

As a T-Mobile supporter, slightly concerned with Roger's ability in the GC, top 10 maybe but don't think he'll get top 3.

Matteh

Haha insane.
Although it looks like the ICU knew he was taking it for medical reasons so it's not quite Landis-esque.

Craig

World Traveller
Haha insane.
Although it looks like the ICU knew he was taking it for medical reasons so it's not quite Landis-esque.
Yeah, he has said he will provide all the evidence to prove that he was allowed to take it, neither his team Caisse d'Epargne nor the Spanish Cycling Authorities seem to have a problem with it.

Matteh

Gotta love Rasumussen, he has real balls. I ho pe he does win it one day, even though he probably won't.
He won the polka dot in the last tour by just flying up all the big mountains in that one stage. Stands a chance at a Pantani esque victory in the future i reckon.

Craig

World Traveller
He won the polka dot in the last tour by just flying up all the big mountains in that one stage. Stands a chance at a Pantani esque victory in the future i reckon.
Give us a Tour route akin to the 2006 Giro and give time bonus for the KOM points (like they do for the sprint points) then he will have a better chance. Just needs to get a whole lot better at his TT, I mean he used to be one of the leading Mountain Bikers before switching to the road so riding on his own shouldn't be a problem :wacko:

Landis considers a comeback - http://www.cyclingnews.com/news.php?id=news/2007/jan07/jan21news while Joseba Beloki is considering retiring.

Craig

World Traveller
Next year should be completely different with no prolouge or even a time trial to start of the 2008 Tour in Brittiany, it will be a road stage just like they are doing in the Vuelta a Espana this year. Not sure if there will be a TTT after stage 4 or 5. Hope they do or put in a stage with some hills in it that will break up the bunch or will give a breakaway a good chance of going the distance because it will be pretty boring if it is a flat road stage after another all the way to the first TT towards the end of the first week.

For Mitchell, DC new boy Steve Cummings (he is the one not wearing the helmet):

Last edited: