• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Peter Brock Dead! RIP!!

Craig

World Traveller
It is nobodies else's fault that they in this situation the Bali 9 are in then themselves.

However, RIP Peter Brock, this has to have been one of the worst week's of the year for Australia.

Blewy

Cricketer Of The Year
From my experiences with Peter i can honestly say i have never seen this in him..

He is one driver who was always willing to sign autographs, in fact at bathurst one year was out in the paddock signing Autographs up until it was time for him to suit up to go and qualify..

He also had a big influence on Mark Skaife, Skaifey was known as a bit of an arrogant SOB but when he was signed to drive for HRT, PB educated him into the factor that the fans were #1 priority...

Slow Love™

International Captain
Bloody hell - it never rains but it pours. I have an "uncle" (actually just a family friend, but might as well be) that will be devastated by this, he was like Brocky's number one fan.

RIP

Eyes_Only

International Debutant
RIP Brocky

Being from a family who owns a Holden dealership here in Inverell, it was always assumed we'd followd HDT and now HRT. Brocky was my childhood hero and one of my earliest memories was seeing him win Bathurst whiole watching it with my Grandfather.

I got home from class today and turned on the news to see the horrfic image of the car smashed against the tree. The last time I felt like this was when my brother woke me with the news that my other hero, Sir Donald Bradman, had died.

My father has said that the main showroom windows will be draped in black in memory of him. My mind boggles at how the man who chose the iconic 05 as a way for people to remember the legal blood alcohol limit and one who was always so fussy about safety, could die in such a tragic way, one month out from Bathurst...

The fact that he was the same age as my father also scared the hell out of me!!

Rest in peace Brocky. You are a legend and a champion. You will be sorely missed..

The Lion sleeps tonight...

Megan...A life-long, loyal Brock, Holden Dealer Team, Holden Racing Team, Team Brock and HSV fan

Last edited:

Mr Casson

Cricketer Of The Year
pasag said:
Also some of the Bali 9 were found this week to be facing execution becuase of appealing. Death by firing squad. Rather shocking as well.
You cannot have any sympathy for that ratpack. They knew the risks, and they were naive to underestimate the Indonesian customs and judicial system. I imagine they only thought of how attractive the money would be and they will pay for it now, quite deservedly with their lives.

James

Cricket Web Owner
RIP to Peter Brock, remember watching him in the Wellington street race in the early 90's, was really enjoyable :)

Mr Casson said:
You cannot have any sympathy for that ratpack. They knew the risks, and they were naive to underestimate the Indonesian customs and judicial system. I imagine they only thought of how attractive the money would be and they will pay for it now, quite deservedly with their lives.
Well said.

Craig

World Traveller
I guess this would also be pretty big news in New Zealand since he was pretty popular there?

Smudge

Hall of Fame Member
Craig said:
I guess this would also be pretty big news in New Zealand since he was pretty popular there?
Probably. I didn't see the news as I was at the TAB (:D) but I'd imagine it would be near the front pages in tomorrow's papers.

Mr Casson

Cricketer Of The Year
dontcloseyoureyes said:
I think what they did was stupid, for sure, but saying they deserve to die is waaaayyy too harsh. (re: Bali 9)
I meant they deserve everything they get, and they do. You'd have to invent a new word to describe how stupid running drugs into Indonesia is. They have policies which are their own right to exercise and you can't expect the PM to beg for their clemency just because they chose to ignore the local law. If they thought they could get away with it, that's a fair gamble. But you can't cancel a losing bet just because it lost.

Craig

World Traveller
Mr Casson said:
I meant they deserve everything they get, and they do. You'd have to invent a new word to describe how stupid running drugs into Indonesia is. They have policies which are their own right to exercise and you can't expect the PM to beg for their clemency just because they chose to ignore the local law. If they thought they could get away with it, that's a fair gamble. But you can't cancel a losing bet just because it lost.
I guess Smith's getting at is because in his opinion he see's the death penalty is barbaric?

Mr Casson

Cricketer Of The Year
Craig said:
I guess Smith's getting at is because in his opinion he see's the death penalty is barbaric?
Yeah but that isn't the point. We have our beliefs and they are in general reflected through our law. They have their own laws, and foreigners can't get away with circumventing them for their personal benefit. It just isn't on. As far as I'm concerned the Bali 9 can rot - they committed a crime punishable by death; they knew it and still did it. Why should we care one bit what they want now?

dontcloseyoureyes

BARNES OUT
I don't really care in the slightest, to be honest, but I hope when you make a stupid mistake in your life (yeah, I doubt you'd ever make one quite that stupid) you don't expect anyone to care.

Mr Casson

Cricketer Of The Year
dontcloseyoureyes said:
I don't really care in the slightest, to be honest, but I hope when you make a stupid mistake in your life (yeah, I doubt you'd ever make one quite that stupid) you don't expect anyone to care.
It's on a totally different plane, my friend.

Burpey

Cricketer Of The Year
I'd hope that if I made a mistake that wasn't directly endangering anybody's life that I'd be given a second chance rather than killed.