• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Socceroos and Australian Football

Salamuddin

International Debutant
ZOMG 2 whole instances, as compared to what, 2 instances for opposition player? Our strikers were punished for staying on their feet (the vast majority of the time) and attempting to win the ball in a sporting manner, whereas the opposition went to ground with the slightest touch, as if they'd just been shot from point blank range with a .357 magnum.

Japan certainly looked far more creative and enterprising AFTER Grella was sent of, but unitl that stage, it was an even contest, and you'd be foolish to argue otherwise.

Yes i agree that Iraq, Oman & even Thailand at stages, looked technically better tan the Soccerooos, and i entirely agree with all of what Les Murray is saying, but none of that changes the fact that the refereeing, was shocking, and that the Socceroos were more often than not on the wrong side of it.

Oh please....if your own players dive, it's not like you guys can take the moral high ground ..... 8-)

Even before the Grella sendoff, it's obvious Japan looked a better team than the Shockeroos.
They had twice the number of chances on goal even up to that point in the game.
If they had better finishing, they would have been up 2-0..

The Shockeroos midfield was virtually devoid of any playmaking whatsoever..Viduka and Aloisi barely had any quality looks at the Japanese goal the whole game....partly due to the excellent defending but largely due to the fact that were receiveing any quality through balls from midfield.
So please stop with the excuses....the Shockeroos weren't good enough !!!! Period !!! :laugh: :laugh:

Son Of Coco

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
If you can't beat them, then just steal their coach? Verbeek, Vieira. Would rather Vieira if i had to choice Verbeek too defensive and last time i checked finishing 3rd for South Korea is a failure. But he has worked under Guus a fair bit and has a lot of experienced in Asia.

Juninho the lastest in talks with Sydney, apparently his close to signing. Still would rather we go down the route of buying in young players or experienced players at the peak of their careers. Signing 35yo means you are setting pretty short term goals, regardless of how good they might be.

I guess its about balance and signing young stars such as this makes up for it. But i guess the problem with Vidaic is that he is still about two season away from first team football. With no youth/reserve league he could go down the Lia/Sarkies route and never improve.
I don't think Vieira was staying with Iraq anyway...in fact I'm sure he wasn't.

Johnners

Oh please....if your own players dive, it's not like you guys can take the moral high ground ..... 8-)

Even before the Grella sendoff, it's obvious Japan looked a better team than the Shockeroos.
They had twice the number of chances on goal even up to that point in the game.
If they had better finishing, they would have been up 2-0..

The Shockeroos midfield was virtually devoid of any playmaking whatsoever..Viduka and Aloisi barely had any quality looks at the Japanese goal the whole game....partly due to the excellent defending but largely due to the fact that were receiveing any quality through balls from midfield.
So please stop with the excuses....the Shockeroos weren't good enough !!!! Period !!! :laugh: :laugh:
In case you forgot, Australia scored 1st, and yes i'll admit (now that i've calmed down some) that Japan were the marginally better team until Grella was sent off, but it was hardly as obvious as you're making it out to be. (The first 10 minutes after half time was what separated them imo)

Back on the diving issue though, we've every right to complain when, the opposition was rolling around on the ground, calling for stretchers then walking back on for a third of the match (a slight exaggeration maybe, but you get the point).

In case you haven't read any of my posts, i'm not making excuses, i know the Socceroos didn't play anywhere near well enough, if the did, chances are they wouldn't have had to play Japan so early, but the amount of one-eyed anti-Australia crap that you go on about is quite tiresome and annoying tbh.

chaminda_00

Hall of Fame Member
The thing is the only sides in world football that don't dive is Australia and New Zealand, well i guess some other Pacific sides as well. Every side in the world dives these days, i think it is about time Australia just got over it and faced the fact that thats how Football is played these days and moved on. I don't really see the big deal about diving, it doesn't win or lose you football generally. It just slows down the flow of sides and if Australia can't work around that, it kind of illustrates how poor they are/were playing.

chaminda_00

Hall of Fame Member
How many young superstars want to come to Australia though mate? The only chance the A-League has of nabbing stars is when they're past their prime and are trying to make some nice money towards the end of their careers. Juninho, while obviously not at his best these days, will still carve up in the A-League and it'll be a pleasure to have him at Sydney. Can't wait to see him play, and I hope we sing him. We'll need him now that Carney has just gone.
I don't see why we can't sign players who have still got 3-4 good years left in them. Guys that either playing 2nd division football in European, or lower tier football in South America. Fred for example wasn't a starting player at his club, so that why he was looking for a move. A lot of guys that do move to the Mid-East and East Asia are still in their late 20s. If they can attract those players why can't we. Also you do get quite a few young guys that move to those places early when they miss the cut after youth football and still turn out to be half decent. Alex from Japan was like that and now his playing in Europe. It is possiable to attract those type of players on the same wages as Australian players.

ash chaulk

International Captain
what about that 9yr old signing eh?

obvious that the english are going to steal him once hes old enough to play int

Matteh

Missed him completely though and was basically just having a lie down on the floor.

chaminda_00

Hall of Fame Member
Yeah but when you go in with a two footed tackle in your own box, most players are going to fall over you regardless of whether you touch them or not. One of the first things you learn as a defender to not go in with two footed challenges when your the last man in the line.

chaminda_00

Hall of Fame Member
what about that 9yr old signing eh?

obvious that the english are going to steal him once hes old enough to play int
The thing that might save us if he get called up to U20 before the English U21. I think the rules have changed lately where a player who play U20 or U23 etc can't play for another country without a certain amount of quailification time. Pretty sure thats the reason why Jlloyd Samuels couldn't play for T&T World Cup as he played for England U21. Cahill had to serve a 10 year period after playing for Western Somoa U21 as 14yo.

Matteh

The thing that might save us if he get called up to U20 before the English U21. I think the rules have changed lately where a player who play U20 or U23 etc can't play for another country without a certain amount of quailification time. Pretty sure thats the reason why Jlloyd Samuels couldn't play for T&T World Cup as he played for England U21. Cahill had to serve a 10 year period after playing for Western Somoa U21 as 14yo.
Isn't he basically English anyway though?

Matteh

Yeah but when you go in with a two footed tackle in your own box, most players are going to fall over you regardless of whether you touch them or not. One of the first things you learn as a defender to not go in with two footed challenges when your the last man in the line.
That would make sense if he was anywhere near Grosso when he made that challenge. As it was he'd done his sliding and missed and was stationary when Grosso decided to try and get past him.

chaminda_00

Hall of Fame Member
Mario Jardel just signed for the Jets, whats the Brazilian count up to now? Fred may have only played one season, but i reckon we might look back at the A-League in 4-5 seasons time and think that he made the A-League what it is. Will be interesting to see how they all go this season. The guy from the United looks the real deal, very talented footballer. Can't defend much as left back, but awsome in attack, a bit Roberto Carlos-ese.

Johnners

I know of at least 6.. Jardel, Juninho, Reinaldo & Marcinho (i think that's his name, he's signed with the Roar anyway) and i know Wellington has signed 2 Brazilians..

Jardel is a bit of a gamble imo, he's been in the wilderness for a few years with substance issues from what i've heard....that said, if he produces the attacking football he's capable of it could be quite a show. IIRC he's was the top goal scorer in europe back around 98-01 for 1 or 2 years.

speirz

State Vice-Captain
I know of at least 6.. Jardel, Juninho, Reinaldo & Marcinho (i think that's his name, he's signed with the Roar anyway) and i know Wellington has signed 2 Brazilians..

Jardel is a bit of a gamble imo, he's been in the wilderness for a few years with substance issues from what i've heard....that said, if he produces the attacking football he's capable of it could be quite a show. IIRC he's was the top goal scorer in europe back around 98-01 for 1 or 2 years.
Leandro Love is at Melbourne as well, Adelaide has Diego and Cassio, the Jets are also supposedly planning to sign Denni http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Denni_Rocha_dos_Santos