• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Bowling leg spin

BlackCap_Fan

State Vice-Captain
I've been fiddling around but I still can't get the coking the wrist thing quite figured out. I was thinking that I should try doing the doorknob turning wrist movement anticlockwise first to get into bowling leg spin, and then move to ****ing your wrist. Is this a good idea?

ash chaulk

International Captain
Neil Pickup said:
Suggests your wrist position changes between the two different actions - try to focus on keeping your hand/wrist action the same when you look to flight it.
ta

nagginglength

Cricket Spectator
Leg spin

You'd think that using the words 'Neil' and 'leg spin' in such close proximity would be akin to trying to touch like poles of a pair of bar magnets, wouldn't you?
Have a look on youtube on Shane Warne masterclass YouTube - Shane Warne . Also if you can obtain a copy of the ECB coaching videos, there is a very very good section on leg spin by Terry Jenner. He has done a lot of thinking about how to coach. He quite rightly emphasises the importance of feel and gets youngsters grooving there action by simply concentrating on the delivery stride. Don't get your arm too high (11 o'clock if 12 o'clock is vertical) look for good shoulder and hip rotation, palm facing the target for leg spin(right arm wrist spin), spin up, Important to feel the weight transfer as you go through the action such that you are moving your weight over your front foot and getting into your follow through stride as you maximise spin and flight. Before I ever saw these videos, I would sometimes practice with no run up with my eyes closed. This helps to 'get the feel' which I found fascinating as I found myself getting more spin when doing this exercise than with my eyes open. The traditional comments made by the likes of Jenner and Benaud are right in my opinion; once you have a good stock leg spinner, it will be easier to incorporate a host of variations; I found it relatively easy to get the 3 basic variations, leg spin, top spin and googlies. The flipper is a very different action and is only really potent if you are a big spinner of the ball. I have tried the slider (back spin) - it is not perfect but the result I have achieved is a leg spinner that slows up getting mis timed drives similar but opposit to top spin. The other variations that can be useful are leg spinners with some top spin. My tip is always bowl with aggression and self belief. If you hesitate, your action suffers and the spin decreases. Your captain must understand what you are doing.