• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Last Sports cafe ...End of an era !!!

Zinzan

Request Your Custom Title Now!
The classic New Zealand Television sports talkshow entertained audiences for the last time tonight.

Sad to see the great show finish. It certainly is the end of an era. I assume most NZ sport fans will feel the same way.

I can't imagine any replacement show will be quite the same :dontgetit

Last edited:

_Ed_

It was a great last show, best in the last 4-5 years in my opinion. Classic stuff.

The highlights of That Guy over the years were brilliant..."what happens if you need to do poos?" :laugh:

Smudge

Hall of Fame Member
It had its peak 3-4 years ago before it hit FTA television. Not too worried to see it go.

Blaze

Banned
Helen Clarke's message of congratulations was classic.

I will miss 3 things - 1) Marc's humour, 2) That Guy's craziness, and 3) Looking at Lana.

Natman20

International Debutant
I used to love that show but thought it got a bit lame over the last couple of months although last nights episode was great. it was funny when they showed Marc Ellis drunk on an episode I was laughing hard out when he kicked a rugby ball into someones head in the crowd. :bag:

benchmark00

zinzan12 said:
The classic New Zealand Television sports talkshow entertained audiences for the last time tonight.

Sad to see it the great show finish. It certainly is the end of an era. I assume most NZ sport fans will feel the same way.

I can't imagine any replacement show will be quite the same :dontgetit
How do you keep coming up with such classic avatars?

shaka

International Regular
pulp sport is hilarious but is only 30 minutes long, Sportscafe is between 50 and 60 minutes.

Tim

Cricketer Of The Year
Moving to TV2 killed Sportscafe, I presume they may have lost a fair bit of creative input and considering it was mainstream tv, they probably had to be a bit more PC too.

I haven't watched it over the last year, the good days were way back when they had Zinny and the Human Cannonball etc.

Zinzan

Blaze said:
Helen Clarke's message of congratulations was classic.

I will miss 3 things - 1) Marc's humour, 2) That Guy's craziness, and 3) Looking at Lana.
I can't stand Lana TBH.....She is the one thing I won't miss about the show !!

Blaze

Banned
zinzan12 said:
I can't stand Lana TBH.....She is the one thing I won't miss about the show !!
Oh for sure, she always killed the fun. I found her extremelly iritating... but still good to look at. Graeme Hill was the worst part about the show. The amount of times I cringed when I heard another lame joke come out of his mouth.

Zinzan

Blaze said:
Oh for sure, she always killed the fun. I found her extremelly iritating... but still good to look at. Graeme Hill was the worst part about the show. The amount of times I cringed when I heard another lame joke come out of his mouth.
Yeah Hill always makes a prat of himself on T.V...or though I'm sure you will acknowledge his "sports was the winner" was always good. Funnily enough as much as i don't like him on T.V ...I don't actually mind him on radio so much

Blaze

Banned
zinzan12 said:
Yeah Hill always makes a prat of himself on T.V...or though I'm sure you will acknowledge his "sports was the winner" was always good. Funnily enough as much as i don't like him on T.V ...I don't actually mind him on radio so much

Yeah exactly how I feel actualy. 'Sport was the winner' was all he was good for, but like you I enjoy his radio a lot more. Off the record can be really really good and he runs talk back pretty well IMO.

My favourite on radio sport though is D'arcy. He is a champ. Doesn't pretend like he knows everything or that he is more important than the callers. Always enjoy his show.

nibbs

International Captain
Tim said:
Moving to TV2 killed Sportscafe, I presume they may have lost a fair bit of creative input and considering it was mainstream tv, they probably had to be a bit more PC too.
nude day became too PC ffs

Zinzan

Blaze said:
Yeah exactly how I feel actualy. 'Sport was the winner' was all he was good for, but like you I enjoy his radio a lot more. Off the record can be really really good and he runs talk back pretty well IMO.

My favourite on radio sport though is D'arcy. He is a champ. Doesn't pretend like he knows everything or that he is more important than the callers. Always enjoy his show.
Yeah Darcy is alright....I don't mind Telfer's show believe it or not. My Girlfriend always gives me grief for having radio sport tuned in EVERYWHERE. My car, my room, the lounge and even my waterproof radio in the shower !!! :p

I always find the passionate Rugby league/cricket supporter Zane a hard case. Often he makes dumb comments, but I like his passion. He's pretty unforgiving though.

I'd like to see him and Bracewell go at it in the next fight for life :D

Blaze

Banned
I often try picture what Zane would look like..

I like his comments btw. He talks a lot of sense...sometimes.

Zinzan

Blaze said:
I often try picture what Zane would look like..

I like his comments btw. He talks a lot of sense...sometimes.
I reckon he'd be a rough looking bugger.....probably a westie with long hair like the rugby league guys used to wear it in the late 80s/eraly 90s.....but I could be wrong.

thierry henry

International Coach
I liked it in the late 90s/early 2000s. In recent years I haven't watched it much, except for That Guy who is one the funniest people in history.

However, I watched it last night and it did feel like the end of an era. It was pretty funny seeing how many times they have made the news and been in trouble with police.

btw, Graham Hill is a funny guy imo. The problem is they usually have a boofhead audience who don't get Graham's jokes, which come over much better on radio One of the problems with the show for the whole 10 years (it's the case with all TV, I suppose) was the stupidity of the audience imo. Some classic one-liners totally missed the mark whilst comparably lame lowbrow stuff always had the audience in raptures.