• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Best Sportsman in the world?

Buddhmaster

International Captain
CC, if you're gonna make big long posts, make sure the first line isn't so stupid, caus that's all we read.

David

International 12th Man
Mr C_C, up until now I've never read anything of yours and have only heard good things about you. I must say though that I'm thoroughly dissapointed.

C_C

International Captain
age_master said:
yeah Sobers bowling average of 34 proves that his bowling was awsome :p
Considering that Botham, who is considered 'oh so gweaaat' averaged around 28, thats bloody good, especially considering that Sobers often bowled near the end, thoroughly tired and trying to buy a wicket.
Infact, according to the dude who does the 'ask bearders' column in BBC, Sobers when bowling fast medium, averaged 23-24 with the ball.
Anything else ?

C_C

International Captain
PY said:
I find this line slightly bemusing. How do you mean?

one thing facing Voce, Larwood, whatzizname and whatzizname, bowling after doing his accounting clerk day job, its quiete another facing McGrath and Warney.
Thats all i gotto say on that matter.
Someone like Tendulkar or Lara probably wouldnt have broken sweat averaging 80+ back then.
Isnt it interesting that in almost every sport, there is always some dude/lady playing early on ( Suzanne Lenglen,Margaret Smith-Court, Bill Tillden, Babe Ruth, Maurice Richard, Tazio Nuevolari, Alekhiene, Chamberlain, etc.) who have mindboggling numbers who even the best of the best contemporary sportsmen cannot even come close to ?

Try and figure out why.

Hint : no, not ALL of them just 'happened to be' the best of the best to ever play the sport.
8-)

Last edited:

benchmark00

Request Your Custom Title Now!
Do you stay awake at night thinking of ways to talk tripe?

How about you stop with your scintillating diatribe against Australian sportspeople, and move on with your life.

David

International 12th Man
What makes all those old players Great is the fact that they rose above the mediocrity of the time, not an easy task. Certainly compared to the professional athletes of today's world they wouldn't hold up very well, but who cares, at the time they were it, and you cannot take it away from them. I daresay that today greats of 15 years ago would struggle somewhat.

andyc

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
C_C said:
one thing facing Voce, Larwood, whatzizname and whatzizname, bowling after doing his accounting clerk day job, its quiete another facing McGrath and Warney.
Thats all i gotto say on that matter.
Someone like Tendulkar or Lara probably wouldnt have broken sweat averaging 80+ back then.
Isnt it interesting that in almost every sport, there is always some dude/lady playing early on ( Suzanne Lenglen,Margaret Smith-Court, Bill Tillden, Babe Ruth, Maurice Richard, Tazio Nuevolari, Alekhiene, Chamberlain, etc.) who have mindboggling numbers who even the best of the best contemporary sportsmen cannot even come close to ?

Try and figure out why.

Hint : no, not ALL of them just 'happened to be' the best of the best to ever play the sport.
8-)
So then are you saying Ali would be getting KO'd in the first round today?

C_C

International Captain
benchmark00 said:
Do you stay awake at night thinking of ways to talk tripe?

How about you stop with your scintillating diatribe against Australian sportspeople, and move on with your life.

How about you try to substantiate your argument with reasoning, show me where i am wrong (that is, if you are capable of it) instead of getting all personal and throwing yer toys outta yer pram like a typical teenage tw*t ?

C_C

International Captain
andyc said:
So then are you saying Ali would be getting KO'd in the first round today?

Ali wasnt in the amatuer era exactly.
But Sonny Liston ? Probably would've been KOed before the halfway mark by the likes of Ali, Fraser, Lennox, Tyson,Holyfield, etc.

David

International 12th Man
C_C said:
How about you try to substantiate your argument with reasoning, show me where i am wrong (that is, if you are capable of it) instead of getting all personal and throwing yer toys outta yer pram like a typical teenage tw*t ?
I believe it was you who got personal first.

David

International 12th Man
C_C said:
Ali wasnt in the amatuer era exactly.
But Sonny Liston ? Probably would've been KOed before the halfway mark by the likes of Ali, Fraser, Lennox, Tyson,Holyfield, etc.
Funny that Liston and Ali fought Twice, so you'd be able to find out the results.

C_C

International Captain
Jamee999 said:
They used to say that about Fangio.

Then somebody called M Schumacher came along.

Motorsport is a dodgy 'sport', given that you could be the best damn driver on the planet and still finish dead last, given that the car is the end-all, be-all of Formula1.
But you'd find that when it comes to prize-racing ( forefather to F1) and Formula 1, one chap called Tazio Nuevolari ruled the roost and still does(in terms of 'records')

C_C

International Captain
David said:
Funny that Liston and Ali fought Twice, so you'd be able to find out the results.

Ali faced Liston twice, once as a 22 year old spring chicken ( Liston was at the peak of his prowess, being undefeated and 32 years old) and wimped out.
The next time they faced a year later, Ali knocked him out flat in the first round.

andyc

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
Oh well, I've more pressing things to do (although I hardly rate Religion homework as important).
Agree to disagree, C_C?

C_C

International Captain
King_Ponting said:
(C_C mode) Tendulkar. Best player of the millenium. Bar him anyone else non-australian

If you bothered reading you'd notice that i said Gary Sobers is the best player EVER to play cricket.
What part of that dont you understand and where did Tendulkar come in ? I dont worship him like you worship Punter, ya know !
8-)

Yous till havnt engaged your brain before engaging your fingers, i see.