• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Le Tour 2005

Pratters

Cricket, Lovely Cricket
Craig said:
Simple:

The opening week or so is for sprinters (ie Boonen, McEwen etc.) or the guys unlikely to win to pick up the stage wins and possibly the chance to wear either the yellow, green (sprinters which Boonen is wearing) or the polka dot jersey (mountains prize), while for Armstrong and co the main aim to get out of trouble and be there or thre abouts for the overall until we hit the mountains in the second week.

From there the race really begins where the expected main challengers either show that they are up to it or not. People like Boonen or McEwen don't figure for the overall GC, except for the green jersey and stage wins is a good result for them.
That explains a lot of things. Thanks. :)

What are the time trials and team time trials? How do riders work in the peleton (some thing Armstrong talked in his autobiography which I read 2-3 years ago) and how does a team function with the aim of having the leader win?

Kweek

Cricketer Of The Year
he did that because O'Grady was pushing him, and he almost fell, so he decided or i fall just before the finish and everyone after me goes down, or i try to stay up, and might do something wrong.

Simon

Request Your Custom Title Now!
i loved how robbie was saying in his defence is impossible to ride in a straight line when u r riding at those speeds for so long...
he was clearly not trying to run into O'Grady afterall!

Cloete

International Captain
Pratyush said:
That explains a lot of things. Thanks. :)

What are the time trials and team time trials? How do riders work in the peleton (some thing Armstrong talked in his autobiography which I read 2-3 years ago) and how does a team function with the aim of having the leader win?
Basically time trials are where riders are released at different intervals (e.g Armstrong went a minute behind Ullreich). They aer timed individually and the way to win is simply ride the coruse in the fastest time.

Team time trials are exactly the same except they're done as a team.

The Pelaton is like the chasing group of riders (generally you have a break away of a few riders who see if they can knick a win). They ride as a huge pack and you occasionally see signs of team work. Generally if they know they have to catch a very threatening break away then they'll all walk together. When the pelaton is really pushing you will see a really long slip stream and they can travel around 60 km/h. They take it in turns to lead, unless other teams aren't interested in catching the leaders.

Basically teamwork is very important, as the winners cheque goes to the whole team. That's a really cool aspect of the TDF. So a team will try and protect their best rider or sprinter as much as possible. For example in sprints a team member may break to a certain side and drag a few people with him to bring with him his best sprinter and clear the way for him. Other instances aer when a team member rides out at the front of a slip stream for as long as possible to save the guy behind him. You'll see more of the second type of teamwork on the mountain stages, particularly from Team CSC and Team Discovery.

Hope that helps, I'm sure it's not 100% accurate though :p

Cloete

International Captain
kwek said:
he did that because O'Grady was pushing him, and he almost fell, so he decided or i fall just before the finish and everyone after me goes down, or i try to stay up, and might do something wrong.
Dekker was unlucky Taz. He lead right up until 1.5km out or so. Really a great ride, but atleast he's King of the Mountains for a while.

I always find myself supporting the breakaway in the flat stages though :D

Magrat Garlick

Global Moderator
Hushovd was awful in the sprint yesterday. Norwegian contingent looks to finish without much glamour. (Despite that, still tend to cheer for the peloton...)

For the total, can't see past Armstrong - perfect warm-up, looks to be in good form - though I'm hoping for Valverde to win it overall.

Pratters

Cricket, Lovely Cricket
Cloete said:
Hope that helps, I'm sure it's not 100% accurate though :p
Yes very much :)

I am checking various sites etc to get a feel of things. Maybe by next year I know it properly. In how much time is the race starting. They are showing stupid WWE Smack down on ten sports atm.

Neil Pickup

Cricket Web Moderator
All times are BST+1

2.20pm - Euskaltel-Euskadi (ESP - EUS)
2.25pm - Lampre-Caffita (ITA - LAM)
2.30pm - AG2R Preyovance (FRA - A2R)
2.35pm - Saunier Duval-Prodir (ESP - SDV)
2.40pm - Cofidis (FRA - COF)
2.45pm - Davitamon-Lotto (BEL - DVL)
2.50pm - Liquigas-Bianchi (ITA - LIQ)
2.55pm - Bouyges Telecom (FRA - BTL)
3.00pm - Francaise des Jeux (FRA - FDJ)
3.05pm - Domina Vacanze (ITA - DOM)
3.10pm - Quickstep-Innergetic (BEL - QST)
3.15pm - Rabobank (NED - RAB)
3.20pm - Illes Balears-Caisse d’Espagne (ESP - IBA)
3.25pm - Credit Agricole (FRA - C.A)
3.30pm - Liberty Seguros-Wurth (ESP - LWT)
3.35pm - Fassa Bortolo (ITA - FAS)
3.40pm - T-Mobile (GER - TMO)
3.45pm - Gerolsteiner (GER - GST)
3.50pm - Phonak Hearing Systems (SUI - PHO)
3.55pm - Discovery Channel (USA - DSC)
4.00pm - Team CSC (DEN - CSC)

FaaipDeOiad

Hall of Fame Member
Amazing finish. Shocking accident there just half a kilometre from the point where it wouldn't have mattered any more, and Armstrong opens up a 55 second gap because of it.

Pratters

Cricket, Lovely Cricket
The commentators were already saying its the best ever TTT in history because of the speed of discovery channel?

Yes the falling of the previous leader was very dramatic. There was some thing said that he could be safe even though he fell if there was some specific thing. I didnt quite understand that apsect.

FaaipDeOiad

Hall of Fame Member
I think it was that if a rider falls inside the last kilometre and does not complete the race with the team, he is still given the same time as them. But, in this case, he fell 1.5ks from the finish.

Magrat Garlick

Global Moderator
Pratyush said:
The commentators were already saying its the best ever TTT in history because of the speed of discovery channel?

Yes the falling of the previous leader was very dramatic. There was some thing said that he could be safe even though he fell if there was some specific thing. I didnt quite understand that apsect.
Correct, though I believe about nine teams broke the previous speed record (10 years old).

It's typical, isn't it...the one the team doesn't want to fall, falls over. Incredible.

Chubb

International Regular
Armstrong is going to win again. I think Ullrich's lost it, if he ever had what it takes to beat the guy. The way he cracked last year on the way to La Mongie was terrible for a "contender". I guess an outsider would have to be Vinokourov but I'm not sure if he could go with Armstrong when he attacks in the mountains. In want to see a strong show from Euskadi this year because I always like going to the Pays Basque (indeed when I go cycling I use a Euskadi water-bottle). Mayo can't actually win the tour but I hope he goes for it in the mountains.

The last serious challenge to Armstrong was 2003, but even then Ullrich wasn't good enough, although the last TT was great to watch, with Armstrong getting dehydrated like that. I was in the television room of an hotel in Hendaye when Beloki crashed, and I guessed then that he would be out for ages, he was a main contender but now it's over for him. 2004 was about as boring as a TdeF gets, but lket's hope we get a repeat of 2003, the best tour since Riis broke Indurain.

Craig

World Traveller
FaaipDeOiad said:
I think it was that if a rider falls inside the last kilometre and does not complete the race with the team, he is still given the same time as them. But, in this case, he fell 1.5ks from the finish.
Even if he didn't crash he would have just lost his yellow jersey.

FaaipDeOiad

Hall of Fame Member
Craig said:
Even if he didn't crash he would have just lost his yellow jersey.
Yeah, but he would have had the exact same time as Armstone, since Lance made up the 2 second gap but nothing more. As it is, it's 55 seconds, which it a fair lead.

Magrat Garlick

Global Moderator
FaaipDeOiad said:
Yeah, but he would have had the exact same time as Armstone, since Lance made up the 2 second gap but nothing more. As it is, it's 55 seconds, which it a fair lead.
It's actually 55 to Hincapie, who's a team-mate. It's 1'04" to the closest challenger, which is Voigt of CSC.

Anyway, a minute isn't a lot in the mountains.

Pratters

Cricket, Lovely Cricket
Checking out some sites, the question every one is asking is how Armstrong would fair in the mountains. That would prove the crucial aspect.

FaaipDeOiad

Hall of Fame Member
Pratyush said:
Checking out some sites, the question every one is asking is how Armstrong would fair in the mountains. That would prove the crucial aspect.
My understanding is that the mountains are always definitive, because you don't have a huge pack of riders all finishing together, but instead small groups of 5 or less most of the time, and the gaps can be very large over the course of a single stage.