• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Official Rugby Thread

headhunter

International Vice-Captain
Wasn't up in time to view the game, but seems like we put in a decent performance in miserable conditions.

Somerset

Cricketer Of The Year
Only saw the second half but what awful conditions.

Found it pretty amazing that after the match, Brian O'Driscoll said he'd never played rugby in colder conditions than what it was tonight in Wellington.
Ironically we're not into the coldest part of winter either....it did look bitterly cold though, good on Tony Johnson for letting him go and not asking him a series of pointless questions.

S.P. Fleming

U19 Cricketer
I thought the AB's played rather well against a gutsy irish side. I think Australia vs Ireland will be interesting next week, the Irish could spring a suprise.

ohtani's jacket

State Vice-Captain
I appreciated the Irish giving us a Test match, but I don't think they played a particularly smart game. Their pack was much better than ours, they just didn't use it. As for the All Blacks, the conditions were too bad to make any sort of judgements.

Game was won in the loose. McCaw was outstanding.

TT Boy

Hall of Fame Member
Decent win by the Bok, Wales were a big disappointment, they made so many mistakes but Luke Watson had a good game, offloaded well and even Bolla, who really shouldn’t be infront of the likes of Rory Kockott performed admirably. If South Africa can get the wingers into the game next week, they could and should pummel Wales.

steds

Hall of Fame Member
Really annoyed that Sky is showing that England Saxons **** whilst I can't get pictures of Argentina and Scotland for love nor money.

Smudge

Hall of Fame Member
As I said to someone in a text, Carter played more like Simon Mannix than Barry John. He was horrible. Rest of the game was pretty boring - in fact, I disappeared and played pokies. I won $130 though, so it wasn't all bad...

chalky

International Debutant
O'Driscol looked absolutely frozen don't think I have ever seen a player looking so cold after a game.

204*

Cricket Spectator
I will be at the match at Eden Park so I hope the weather is alot better than what it was in Wellington!

Smudge

Hall of Fame Member
How long will it be, man of Volts, until New Zealanders wake up and realise Richie McCaw is superior to Michael Jones?

Apparently it has already begun...

http://blogs.telegraph.co.uk/sport/mickcleary/june08/richiemccawlaudedabovelegend.htm
I would argue that McCaw is the better openside flanker based on their careers, but Jones the better all-round rugby player. Jones was unbelievable in the 7 jersey from 1987 until that fateful day against Argentina at Athletic Park in 1989 when he suffered the serious knee injury which put him out for a year (and which most players never come back from). Even after that, he was a world-class seven, but even adapted well when he moved to six upon the arrival of Josh Kronfeld on the international stage.

Jones’ athleticism, his vision and eye for a gap and his spring-heeled jumping at the back of the lineout (pre-lifting) had to be seen to be believed, whereas McCaw’s greatest attribute is his unceasing hunt for the ball at the breakdown, and turning up in places on defence where he shouldn’t be expected to be.

In an all-time NZ XV I’d have them both in there anyway – McCaw at 7 and Jones at 6. The opposition loosies wouldn’t have a chance.

Johnners

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
Quite excited about the Wallabies game tonight actually. A number of new faces in the team, including the coach, will be good to see. Obviously not expecting them to gel straight away, but it will be interesting to see how much of a change in their Style of play Deans has implemented.

Last edited:

BoyBrumby

Englishman
Is Vickerman injured? Horwill ahead of him qualifies as the most bizarre selection of the weekend if not.

NZ to beat us by 25+ meanwhile. We're going to be destroyed at the breakdowns. :mellow:

chalky

International Debutant
20 minutes in & the English pack is dominating line out, scrum & breakdown - if only we had a back line.

As I type McCaw stays on the field despite the most blantent piece of faul play.:@