• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Official Rugby Thread

Smudge

Hall of Fame Member
KennyD said:
Yes and his best ever Super 12 season with the Brumbies this year, helping them win the cup.

Dont worry about Bernie, he'll be right for another years to come he will be. :D
Hmm, whoops - I was a bit tired last night and thought it said Latham, not Larkham.

KennyD

International Vice-Captain
Voltman said:
Hmm, whoops - I was a bit tired last night and thought it said Latham, not Larkham.
Yeah and Latham too, definitely looking back to his best, so Rogers will have to work hard if he wants that FB position back.

But LArkham has been my favourite player way since he debuted back in 97' or something as FB, and I truly believe he is just getting into some of his best footie now. Easily the best defence fly half in the world, often topping Wallabies tackle counts, I believe the best passer in the world, just pipping Wilko, the most deceptive runner in the world, note not agressive, I would calll that Spencer, the best flyhalf at taking the ball to the line, and his kicking...well its acceptable.

age_master

Hall of Fame Member
never rated latham much, too inconsistant, has great games and crap ones, cant afford that at full back.

KennyD

age_master said:
never rated latham much, too inconsistant, has great games and crap ones, cant afford that at full back.
Yes very inconsistent for most of his career at International level, quite right. But recently in Trinations and Northern Hemisphere tour, he has been fantastic, culminating in MOTM against England. And I truly belive he is now replcating his Super 12 form at International level.

KennyD

So yeah time to get this thread rolling...

I was just talking to a mate I hadnt heard from for a while and was stoked to hear he played in the national U16 Australian Rugby Championships for the Australian Indeginous side as hooker.

Anyway thats him, so I thought if anybody has any of their rugby pics they can post em here :D

Attachments

BoyBrumby

Englishman
KennyD said:
Easily the best defence fly half in the world
(COUGH)......bullsh1t, Jonny Wilkinson is.....(COUGH)

Yeah, great defensively. Very resilient. Just wears a scrum-cap for effect. Not cos he's a girly poof. Oh, no. No way. :D

KennyD

BoyBrumby said:
(COUGH)......bullsh1t, Jonny Wilkinson is.....(COUGH)

Yeah, great defensively. Very resilient. Just wears a scrum-cap for effect. Not cos he's a girly poof. Oh, no. No way. :D
Wilkinson is great sure, hes my no 2...

But can go past that fantastic former fullback.

And he wears head gear coz hes SMART! Like me, and if Johnny wants to stay pretty, he should wear one too.

BoyBrumby

Englishman
KennyD said:
Wilkinson is great sure, hes my no 2...

But can go past that fantastic former fullback.

And he wears head gear coz hes SMART! Like me, and if Johnny wants to stay pretty, he should wear one too.
It's just a totally different world with you ladies in the backs, isn't it?

My best features are my scars! :p

KennyD

BoyBrumby said:
It's just a totally different world with you ladies in the backs, isn't it?

My best features are my scars! :p
My best features are the features on my face and I want them to stay that way. :p

BoyBrumby

Englishman
Just saw in the paper that Justin Marshall has signed for Leeds Tykes, due to start next (English) season.

He'll still be available for Tri-nations & Lions tests, but (presumably) after that's it for him AB wise. Says he's "looking for new challenge" which I think translates as "big pay packet before I retire".

Is he gonna be missed? ABs didn't seem to miss him too much in the autumn!

Smudge

Hall of Fame Member
BoyBrumby said:
Just saw in the paper that Justin Marshall has signed for Leeds Tykes, due to start next (English) season.

He'll still be available for Tri-nations & Lions tests, but (presumably) after that's it for him AB wise. Says he's "looking for new challenge" which I think translates as "big pay packet before I retire".

Is he gonna be missed? ABs didn't seem to miss him too much in the autumn!
It has to be. The NZRU has a policy that you have to be playing in NZ to be considered for selection.

As to whether he is going to be missed? Not too much. Kelleher (although prone to inconsistency) is a combative wee fella, and Weepu is very much in the mould of Marshall, although with a better pass. He just has to work on his option taking.

BoyBrumby

Englishman
Kelleher impressed me in the autumn. I'd always had him down as very much a "second-string" All-Black (plays the mid-week non-cap games type of player), but took his chance well. I haven't seen too much of Weepu, so can't really comment. It said in article I read JM was "rested" against his will, so maybe he saw the selectors thoughts turning to other options.

With regards to not picking Kiwis playing abroad, do you reckon that will ever be overturned? I can see the logic (ring-fencing the quality of your provincial & Super-12/14 teams), but it does mean a lotta blokes having to decide between international Rugby (or international Rugby for NZ at least!) & financial stability. The Saffies used to have same rule, but SARFU overturned it when things went really pear-shaped for the Springboks.

Smudge

Hall of Fame Member
BoyBrumby said:
Kelleher impressed me in the autumn. I'd always had him down as very much a "second-string" All-Black (plays the mid-week non-cap games type of player), but took his chance well. I haven't seen too much of Weepu, so can't really comment. It said in article I read JM was "rested" against his will, so maybe he saw the selectors thoughts turning to other options.

With regards to not picking Kiwis playing abroad, do you reckon that will ever be overturned? I can see the logic (ring-fencing the quality of your provincial & Super-12/14 teams), but it does mean a lotta blokes having to decide between international Rugby (or international Rugby for NZ at least!) & financial stability. The Saffies used to have same rule, but SARFU overturned it when things went really pear-shaped for the Springboks.
It's a decision that won't reverse for a long time. I think there's a lot more emphasis in the last few years on combinations in All Black rugby (even on last year's tour, a pair like Umaga and Smith had played together a bit before Smith debuted), and aside from that, it's a logistical pain in the backside in terms of flying players back etc. Flights to South Africa wouldn't be quite as long as one to the Antipodes I would guess.

In terms of financial stability, a player who plays Super 12 and NPC could make about $100,000 while most All Blacks would hit the $200,000 with bonuses etc included.

BoyBrumby

Englishman
Just saw in today's paper that Dale McDermott, the Springboks' former technical analyst, has been found dead in his home in Durban from an apparently self-inflicted gunshot wound to the head. RIP. :(

Tragic story all round; he was the "whistleblower" who realeased the pics of The Boks shivering butt naked in freezing cold water at the now infamous Kamp Staaldraad before the '03 World Cup. This, according to the report I read, made him an outcast &, unable to secure work in Rugby, he ended his days as a used car salesman.