• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Official Rugby Thread

Tim

Cricketer Of The Year
The depth in Welsh rugby is obviously not as good as they thought it was. They lose 2 or 3 good players to injury and they're barely beating Fiji.

Well done to Fiji anyway for going to close to victory.

social

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
Just watched Eng beat Aus 26 - 16.

Aus have the worst tight five seen in international rugby for many, many years.

They cant scrum and they cant work a lineout.

Eng finished with nearly 80% of possession.

Thank god their backs are nearly as bad as our forwards because they should have run up a cricket score.

Chubb

International Regular
Ireland were dreadul against the AB II XV today. Nothing was going on at all. The moment Sivivatu broke for a soft try it was all over. We did play extremely well though... so much depth... wow....

open365

International Vice-Captain
England's back line is crap!

i didn't see the match,but jamie Noon is no way good enough,and don't get me started on MR.Olly 'Ricky Clarke of rugy' Barkely.

Anna

:pokey: :@ Don't start on Olly! You're talking to a big Bath fan here....! Glad to see Danny Grewcock without a beard....bloomin scary that was :crazy: lol.

Smudge

Hall of Fame Member
I failed to wake up for the ABs v Ireland match - which I was only going to be able to listen to anyway.

I was never concerned that we would lose, but it sounds like yet another performance that has supporters reaching for superlatives. This squad is freakishly scary in what it could achieve.

Bring on England.

Tim

Cricketer Of The Year
Its a bit of a concern when a team can thrash one team, then change its team entirely for the next test and still comfortably beat the opposition.
Now Wales & Ireland are supposedly two good Six Nations sides. Having 2 key players out obviously will hurt, but its still no excuse to lose by around 35 points.

Ireland can start by finding someone better than Ronan O'Gara. Terrible player.
As for the AB's, I think Lauaki has no future at international level, he's better off at the Warriors and Nonu will need to fix up his defence.

Blaze

Banned
I thought Nonu did some very good things on defence. He is certainly a lot stronger than he used to be, and was always a threat with ball in hand.

I don't see what the selectors see in Lauaki.. he has **** for hands and is very loose. The selectors should be looking at someone diferent to Colins to push him for the number 6 spot.. not an inferior version.

Tim

Cricketer Of The Year
Nonu is still being caught out in defence, he rushed up a number of times but fortunately Ireland weren't good enough to make him pay for it.
He's still learning, but I can't see him making the side ahead of Mauger or Smith at this stage.

The point where Lauaki tried a no look pass pretty much summed him up. I really don't think NZ need a player like him trying something like that, particularly in a big match. They know they can score tries without doing stupid things like that.

Blaze

Banned
Tim said:
Nonu is still being caught out in defence, he rushed up a number of times but fortunately Ireland weren't good enough to make him pay for it.
He's still learning, but I can't see him making the side ahead of Mauger or Smith at this stage.

The point where Lauaki tried a no look pass pretty much summed him up. I really don't think NZ need a player like him trying something like that, particularly in a big match. They know they can score tries without doing stupid things like that.
Totally agree regarding Lauaki.. he can be very destructive with ball in hand and may well come on in the next couple of years but at this stage he isn't even close to being a first team starter.

Nonu did get caught a couple of times but he made some very solid hits and the irish midfield aren't useless. I thought they were running good lines but our D was just too good.

Blaze

Banned
chaminda_00 said:
This Australian Team, is official the worst Australia side ever... :@
Woeful forward pack. But the team isn't that bad. They have played good sides in their 7 straight losses. Get Larkam back in there and it is a whole new ball game.

chaminda_00

Hall of Fame Member
Blaze said:
Woeful forward pack. But the team isn't that bad. They have played good sides in their 7 straight losses. Get Larkam back in there and it is a whole new ball game.
Apart from England yes, but England were crap and we still lost to them. Alsoi don't think that Rogers has done a bad job, we just need a whole new forward pack. In particular our tight 5, they have been crap for a couple season but carried by our backs and our backrow.

Blaze

Banned
chaminda_00 said:
Apart from England yes, but England were crap and we still lost to them. Alsoi don't think that Rogers has done a bad job, we just need a whole new forward pack. In particular our tight 5, they have been crap for a couple season but carried by our backs and our backrow.

England wern't crap.. their backs were just on vacation. I agree though, they aren't up to much but they did play to their strengths in the forwards very well.

Rogers hasn't done a bad job at all, he is a very good player IMO but still a Aussie side with Larkarm is 100 times more threatening IMO. He controls the whole game superbly. I would still have Rogers in the side though.. probably in the centres.

I thought Latham was outstanding today, I have always liked him as a player and he showed so much guts and passion out there. Felt sorry for him that his forward pack couldn't follow his lead.

KennyD

Blaze said:
Get Larkam back in there and it is a whole new ball game.
And get rid of Gregan.. I wouldn't mind seeing Giteau given a run at scrum half.

Also, I believe Australia has to start playing some wide, expansive, unscripted rugby. The last 5 minutes of the Aust v Eng game was exactly how Australia need to play. They threw cautioun into the wind, shifted the bal from left to right, right to left for every phase. It reminds me of the way the Pacific Islands, Japan, and to a lesser, though better example of rugby, NZ play. If we can play like that, with the backline we have, Australia can improve I'm sure.

KennyD

Blaze said:
Rogers hasn't done a bad job at all, he is a very good player IMO but still a Aussie side with Larkarm is 100 times more threatening IMO. He controls the whole game superbly. I would still have Rogers in the side though.. probably in the centres.

I thought Latham was outstanding today, I have always liked him as a player and he showed so much guts and passion out there. Felt sorry for him that his forward pack couldn't follow his lead.
Yup to all that.

I love Latham too.

Blaze

Banned
KennyD said:
I believe Australia has to start playing some wide, expansive, unscripted rugby. The last 5 minutes of the Aust v Eng game was exactly how Australia need to play. They threw cautioun into the wind, shifted the bal from left to right, right to left for every phase. It reminds me of the way the Pacific Islands, Japan, and to a lesser, though better example of rugby, NZ play. If we can play like that, with the backline we have, Australia can improve I'm sure.

Yeah I thought the same thing, Aus always looked threatening when they went wide. They kicked too much IMO.

social

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
KennyD said:
And get rid of Gregan.. I wouldn't mind seeing Giteau given a run at scrum half.

Also, I believe Australia has to start playing some wide, expansive, unscripted rugby. The last 5 minutes of the Aust v Eng game was exactly how Australia need to play. They threw cautioun into the wind, shifted the bal from left to right, right to left for every phase. It reminds me of the way the Pacific Islands, Japan, and to a lesser, though better example of rugby, NZ play. If we can play like that, with the backline we have, Australia can improve I'm sure.
Problem being, that our backs are starved of the ball and, when we get it, George's service is as slow as a wet week.

Backs are fine, albeit in a slightly different combo, but you cant play without the ball.