• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Official Rugby Thread

TT Boy

Hall of Fame Member
France have now beaten New Zealand 11 times and South Africa 10 times.

Impressive for a Northern Hemisphere side.

Why aren't people criticising Graham Henry btw? That NZ side lacked physicality against the larger French players. Bryce Rope would've done something about that.
His looking to amend that. His called up powerhouse hooker, Aled de Malmanche.:)

Not sure about the French players being larger. The All Black scrum had (I think) about 50kg on their French counterparts. Think the biggest issue for them yesterday was that the loose-forwards were hanging back (with the backs) catching a breather whilst Dusautoir got to work.

TT Boy

Hall of Fame Member
Good signing. Best player for the Stormers in the Super14 and not doing Charlie helps.

Being away from the Cape (his dad) might also do him the world of good. If he only kept his mouth shout, I fancy he would be playing against the Lions next week.

BoyBrumby

Englishman
Good signing. Best player for the Stormers in the Super14 and not doing Charlie helps.

Being away from the Cape (his dad) might also do him the world of good. If he only kept his mouth shout, I fancy he would be playing against the Lions next week.
Think he's probably burnt too many bridges now, even if De Villiers isn't quite as much of a size queen as White was.

Somerset

Cricketer Of The Year
His looking to amend that. His called up powerhouse hooker, Aled de Malmanche.:)

Not sure about the French players being larger. The All Black scrum had (I think) about 50kg on their French counterparts. Think the biggest issue for them yesterday was that the loose-forwards were hanging back (with the backs) catching a breather whilst Dusautoir got to work.
Yup thats the irony that we did, statistically anyway, have the bigger forward pack, yet were clearly outmuscled and France's defence was fantastic. Fair point about the loose forwards, McCaw's absence was obviously missed as usual but Kaino and So'oialo perhaps are undervalued and both their absences were notable for me anyway. I hear this morning that Adam Thomson and Andrew Hore are both ruled out for a while, Thomson for about a month and not sure about the length of Hore's injury. Hardly is going to help in terms of experience with two more rookie players covering for them in the squad.

Craig

World Traveller
Brumby, I was flicking through the channels and on Sultana they had live coverage of the Churchill Cup - Georgia v Ireland 'A'. Is the Chruchill Cup for emerging nations or what?

BoyBrumby

Englishman
Brumby, I was flicking through the channels and on Sultana they had live coverage of the Churchill Cup - Georgia v Ireland 'A'. Is the Chruchill Cup for emerging nations or what?
I think it was originally conceived as England versus the US (hence Churchill, what with him being half-American and popular over there), but has been expanded and the US (who host it) invite teams from wherever now. IIRC we beat the NZ Maori in the final one year. The US & Canada tend to play their full teams, but we now send our "A" team (The Saxons :sick:) and the larger test nations seem to follow suit.

Francis

State Vice-Captain
It's time for the French to take their rightful place in history by defeating New Zealand. I love their inner-calm, their coolness, their detachment, their brilliance and insouciance which is devestating. Some sniff the wind - the French created it!

GO YOU BLOODY FRENCHIES

Smudge

Hall of Fame Member
My Sky Digital is almost as hopeless as Donald's kicking game. How the hell can it give me a rain fade message halfway through the game when it's barely drizzling? **** me.

99*

International Debutant
My Sky Digital is almost as hopeless as Donald's kicking game. How the hell can it give me a rain fade message halfway through the game when it's barely drizzling? **** me.
:laugh: Does it in daylight for me sometimes, called Sky, they blamed sunspots and solar radiation.

Somerset

Cricketer Of The Year
Anyone else slightly confused why Piri Weepu kicked the ball out after 80 minutes to seal the game and not attempt scoring a penalty/drop goal/try to maintain the Dave Gallagher trophy? The trophy can't have been that important after all.

Better performance from the All Blacks though France were again very impressive to withstand the pressure New Zealand put them under, especially in the first half and the 15-20 minutes after Heyman's try in the second half. Will be extremely interesting to see how Australia fare next week against the French and how their performance compares against the ABs' effort.

Somerset

Cricketer Of The Year
Can't stand de Malmanche. He's all brute force and ignorance. His technique will be brutally exposed at international level.
Tend to agree to some extent. His line-out throwing has also proven to be a bit too inconsistent for my liking from the instances I've seen him play at hooker.

HeathDavisSpeed

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
Anyone else slightly confused why Piri Weepu kicked the ball out after 80 minutes to seal the game and not attempt scoring a penalty/drop goal/try to maintain the Dave Gallagher trophy? The trophy can't have been that important after all.
Said exactly the same thing to the missus when he did that. There would at least have been a pretty safe opportunity to set McAlister up to miss another drop goal attempt.

Tend to agree to some extent. His line-out throwing has also proven to be a bit too inconsistent for my liking from the instances I've seen him play at hooker.
Indeed. The line-out is such a critical area of the game at the moment; you want a reliable pair of hands in charge of things.

Smudge

Hall of Fame Member
Great atmosphere at Durban - flags flying etc.

And as I type, the South Africans just throw attack after attack at the Lions before John Smit goes on the angle and crashes over for the first points of the series no more than five minutes in. They're looking dangerous.