• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

*Official* CW XI Media Coverage

Nate

You'll Never Walk Alone
very interesting reading this liam... haha interview haffy cause he wont say anything! haha...

masterblaster

International Captain
Thanks Liam, got your message.

It'll be a pleasure to do the interview, and try to get it back to you as soon as possible.

Cheers,

MB

Last edited:

Mr Mxyzptlk

Request Your Custom Title Now!
The Daily Blast
The Forgotten Man? - Time with Master Blaster
by Berry True

Editor: Next on the interview list was the journeyman Master Blaster. During the 4th ODI, Berry True got some time to chat with the then 12th man.

Considered by some to be the forgotten man of the CW XI, Master Blaster has been a quiet achiever over his career whilst finding international caps few and far between. The Indian seamer started his FC career playing the very first season of Dev League cricket. On the occasion he flourished as an allrounder, grabbing 22 wickets at 31.82 and scoring 371 runs at 30.92. With the bat he reached 50 in his 5th FC game and then upped the charge to score 102 from 190 balls in the last game of the season.

The innings contained 19 fours and a six.

BT: What was it like to score your first and (to date) only century against the Australians?

Master Blaster: That particular innings has to go down as one of the greatest moments in my cricketing career so far. Everything about it just seemed so perfect. It was just one of those beautiful days where every shot connected, every ball looked like an opportunity to score off and a day where fear and failure were the furthest things away from my mind and my batting. To be able to contribute to your side, coming in as low as number eight or number nine in such a talented and successful batting lineup was really a big thrill for me. The Australian's play their cricket extremely hard and with extreme ferocity no matter what team they put out onto the field. So to score a century against them was a dream come true and was probably the innings that made some people realise that this guy has some talent with the bat.

On the OD side of things Master Blaster started slower, scoring just 71 runs but taking 10 wickets in 6 games that debut season.

Since that first season, Master Blaster has built up an impressive career record of 1379 FC runs at 23.78 and 134 wickets at 28.39. In List-A games he has taken 39 wickets at 34.38 and scored at an average of 11.62.

BT: You've never really adapted quite as well to OD cricket as you probably would have liked. Why is that?

Master Blaster: One Day Cricket is a different kettle of fish altogether. I really enjoy the passion, the intensity and the excitement that One Day Cricket generates. It's a very testing version of the game without a doubt and not many people give One Day Cricket the credit it deserves. Statistically, perhaps I haven't done my One Day talent justice but I've always felt suited to the One Day game. In regards to OD bowling, I feel that I've done my job on more than a few occasions by containing the opposition batsmen and just giving 3 or 4 runs an over in a spell. Sometimes however wickets come your way, even with bad balls and sometimes you can bowl 10 fantastic overs and not pick up a single wicket. So overall I think I've stuck to my job well in OD Cricket and I'd like to think that I've contributed to a victory in some way or another. In terms of OD batting, I tend to come down very low in the order and more often than not, batting technique goes out the window. Generally Im in there, trying to make quick runs to up the tempo and that often results in having a lower average. So perhaps statistically my numbers in OD Cricket aren't as good as they can be, I'll still be a satisfied man if I can contribute in victories more often.

Master Blaster was first called to the CW XI squad to play in his country of residence - Australia. It was under controversial circumstances, however, that he got his first cap. Such controversy would eventually lead to the infamous Rebel tour against the CWBCC. Respected legspinner Neil Pickup was sacked after conceding figures of 21-3-102-1, 22-5-77-0 and 15-4-67-1 in the first two Tests. His replacement for the third was Master Blaster.

Amidst loud protest Blaster took the field. His first assignment was with the bat, scoring 10 not out in the first innings. He was unbeaten on 2 in the second. With the ball things weren't quite as good though. Blaster was dispatched fairly harshly and ended with match figures of 28-3-133-2, his wickets those of Katich and the great Stephen Waugh.

BT: Your Test debut certainly wasn't the easiest. Care to enlighten us on the
experience?

Master Blaster: I remember it all too well. At the time it was a great honour in wearing the CW XI test cap for the very first time and I'll cherish that moment for the rest of my life, but there were some rather damaging side issues which to a degree clouded my debut. But as a professional cricketer I had to put that out of my mind and focus on the job, and once your out
there playing for your side nothing else really matters except performing to the best of your ability. It was such an awesome feeling for me to be playing in my adopted homeland for the first time and the Australian crowds treated me as one of their own, it was an experience I'll never forget. Individually I didn't have too much success, but in the end I bowled my heart out and left the ground with my head held high.

BT: Steve Waugh said of you after that Test match, "He's still far from a finished product, but his raw energy and enthusiasm is certainly something CW can work with". High compliments from a respected individual. Did Steve give you any other advice off the field?

Master Blaster: Steve Waugh in my opinion changed the face of Test and ODI Cricket and to me is probably the best captain the world has ever seen. To get a compliment from such a great leader of men and a great batsman was an unbelievable thrill for me. Steve Waugh's wicket was probably one of the best wickets I had ever taken as a bowler and after the game he came up to
me and said 'well bowled mate' with a typical Steve Waugh grin on his face. After that, we had a chat and he just told me to be as determined as possible, and to have the courage even in the bad times and learn from your mistakes. I'll never forget that conversation and his input has no
doubt made me a better bowler now.

Master Blaster was then dropped for the 4th Test as Pickup as Lord of Darkness returned from injury to compound the player-management conflict. The allrounder had been injured through the first 3 Tests and the media backlash was severe when he was admitted back into the team without a thought between.

BT: What are your thoughts on that whole issue? Do you think you merited sacking at the expense of Darkness?

Master Blaster: I'm a firm believer in that the best side should play on the field. After a average performance in my debut test, I wasn't surprised that I was dropped but no doubt I was disappointed. After all the hard work, it seemed I had another mountain to climb. Lord of Darkness has been a proven all rounder at International Level and its fair to say that he's been one of my biggest supporters to date in my cricketing career. I was happy for Lord and had no bad feelings at all. But the despair was there, in that I needed to climb another tall mountain to get back into the test side after all my initial hard work.

Blaster would not feature again until the 7th game of the VB Series, also on the same Australian tour. In that game, against Australia, Master Blaster made his ODI debut and shared the new ball with the legendary Lucky Eddie.

BT: What was that experience like?

Master Blaster: What can I say about Eddie? He's a guy that all of us CW quick bowlers look up to. He's done it all, played all around the world and has got loads of experience. He's such a friendly guy as well and always willing to give the younger guys advice. It was an honour in opening the bowling with him and all the time he kept willing me on and he believed in my abilities which was very nice to know. He's also quite the entertainer and with an extremely sharp wit, so he's a pleasure to be around and it will be hard for any CW Fast bowler to surpass Lucky Eddie as the greatest CW Fast bowler ever.

The seamer didn't quite prosper, however. Matthew Hayden (65 from 59 balls) smashed him around the SCG with disdain. His figures of 9-0-57-1 were disappointing. There were also reports of some sledging of the young man during his first, if brief, stint at the crease, scoring 2 runs.

BT: How did you deal with that whole experience?

Master Blaster: With a sold out SCG crowd totally behind Matthew and the entire Australian team, it was a little daunting. Matthew's presence at the crease can be so intimidating as well. With that giant frame and an enormous amount of power, he can quickly put a fast bowler off his game. No matter what ball I put on the pitch, Hayden saw it like a football and consequently I was battered and bruised, and my figures reflected it. But it was a lesson well learnt. That particular match was Hayden's, everybody has their day and hopefully the next time we meet, it will be mine.

BT: Your lone wicket on debut, your first in ODI cricket, was Damien Martyn for 45 -caught at point. Did you have any words with him as he walked off?

Master Blaster: Oh no, nothing serious or offensive. I respect Damien as a batsman and as an individual and generally my personality is more on the reserved side. I can't exactly remember what I said, but I think it was something along the lines of 'One cut shot too many mate' and he just gave me a rather sly look and that was that really.

The CW selectors stuck with Blaster and in his next game he gave a more controlled performance of 7-0-33-1 against Zimbabwe. That was his last game on tour as he and several other CW players flew to South Africa in their rebel stance.

Still, the selectors persisted with Master Blaster in New Zealand and played in all 3 Test matches there. Although not alone among the Cricket Web bowlers, Blaster had a slow series and took just 7 wickets at 40.43. His best figures of 2/45 in New Zealand's 2nd Test 218-run win.

In the ODI series things were a bit more pleasant. The crucial wicket of Stephen Fleming in the first game garnished figures of 8-0-24-1. He would not play in the next couple of games, but returned for the 4th, 5th and 6th ODIs - 8-0-26-1, 6-0-26-0 and 6-0-46-0. It would not be enough to get into the World Cup squad, however.

BT: That must have been a big disappointment. Can you relate those feelings at that point in your career?

Master Blaster: The World Cup was the tournament that I had been waiting for, for my entire career. I knew that if I were selected that I would've been able to make a difference and succeed in the World Cup. To be honest, I thought that my place would be somewhat secured after having toured with the CW XI to Australia and New Zealand and fairing somewhat well. I thought I was part of the selectors' plans, but I got an extremely rude shock when I found out that the selectors had overlooked me. It was one of the lowest points in my career and once again it seemed that life was so unfair and that another giant mountain had been placed before my eyes. For days I felt rather unmotivated, uninspired and depressed. But then I just got off my couch, looked forward and sketched my plan on getting back into the CW XI side.

BT: The CW XI went to the finals of that tournament, where they lost. Do you think you could have added to their success if you were picked?

Master Blaster: It's hard to say if I or anyone for that matter would've made a difference to the CW XI side in the World Cup. The boys played some fantastic cricket over there and were unlucky to bow out at the stage they did. I'd like to think in my heart of hearts that I could've made a difference. I feel that perhaps with my all round ability with ball and to an extent with the bat, I could've contributed something in the final stages of the tournament. But it wasn't to be and that's just a part of life and I've moved on from that disappointment onto bigger and better things.

The disappointment of missing out on the World Cup only served to fuel Master Blaster, who went on to have by far his most prolific season of Dev League cricket. Playing for Cricket Web Green, Blaster took a combined 83 wickets (71 FC and 12 OD). With the bat his 2 half-centuries solidified his claim as a useful lower order player.

BT: What did you do pre-Season 6 that you attribute your success to?

Master Blaster: It was a combination of a lot of things. I needed to get the mental side of my game absolutely right so I could cope with the pressures of being a top level cricketer a bit more efficiently and effectively. I consulted a sports psychologist and we analysed some facets of my game and my psyche and improved upon the shortcomings. Along with the psychological
aspects of my game, I simply practiced my bowling repeatedly and focussed more on line and length and as well as trying to revive the swing bowling factor in my bowling. So it was just a combination of getting the mental and technical attributes in my game as close to perfect as possible.

BT: Any senior players that you turned to for help and guidance? A mentor?

Master Blaster: My skipper at CW Green (my team at the time) Age Master always had faith in my ability. He treated me as one of the key players in his lineup and he always trusted me with the ball, so I owe it to him for giving me a big opportunity last season. Also Lord of Darkness was always encouraging me to keep working hard and telling me if I did I would find myself back in CW XI colours in no time. Also my kind support group of family and friends who kept supporting me and have been through every rise and every fall in this long journey.

Such form combined with the retirement of veterans Lucky Eddie and Top Cat and the CWBCC recalled Master Blaster for his second stint of international cricket. This time he would feature in Pakistan, picked only as an ODI player.

BT: You didn't get a game in Pakistan. How did that affect your confidence and game in general?

Master Blaster: It was a little disappointing not getting a game against Pakistan after being one of the best bowlers in Season 6 of the Development League. But the important thing from my perspective was not to lose heart. It didn't affect my game too much and I knew I was doing the basics right and getting results, so to me it was a matter of patience and seizing the
opportunity at the right time. I believe in my heart that I'm 10 times the player I was when I was first picked for International duty. With time, hard work and experience you can only improve as a player and despite being labeled a 'veteran' I still feel young and able to keep up
with the younger guys.

BT: You were then persisted with to go to Bangladesh. Did you ever consider boycotting that tour purely out of frustration at lack of game time?

Master Blaster: That thought never even entered my mind. My main goal is to play as much cricket for the CW XI side as possible and possibly cement my place in the side as a bowling all rounder. Boycotting the tour of Bangladesh would've been dead against the goals that I set myself prior to Season 6. I knew that I had re-established the faith of the selectors about my
ability, it was once again just a matter of patience. If I had boycotted, I think it would've been the last you would've seen of Master Blaster in CW XI colours. But I'm glad that the thought never entered my mind and I still dream of being a regular with the CW XI.

Master Blaster finally played on his recall, yet not in the best of games for the CW
XI. Blaster bowled well (8-0-26-1) but his team was shockingly beaten by Bangladesh by 1 wicket.

BT: What was the atmosphere like in the dressing room after that game?

Master Blaster: I've never experienced anything like it really. Most of the sides I've
been lucky to be a part of have been hugely successful with great camaraderie between the players. So to see us beaten so shockingly was a bitter pill to swallow. It was all extremely quiet and a real sense of shame in every player who played out there. We had let our fans and coach down and the mood was rather gloomy in the rooms. But as it turned out it was just one small blip on the radar and we re-consolidated our supremacy in the series quite well. These things will happen from time to time but in the bigger scheme of things it's nothing to go overboard about. The better team won on the day, simple as that.

To this point Master Blaster's international record stands at 122 runs (20.33) and 9 wickets (46.22) in 4 Tests and 21 runs (10.50) and 5 wickets (61.80) in 5 ODIs.

A few more diverse questions now.

BT: Has there ever been any hostility between you and another CW player at any level of the game?

Master Blaster: I'm happy to say that there has been no hostility so far. With every CW player I have played with or against it has been in great competitive spirit. On a few occasions in the heat of the battle your emotions get the better of you, but in the end you can share a drink and a laugh with the very same player and let it go. Every team I've had the pleasure of being a part of I've managed to fit in quite well. I don't have the most brash or outspoken personality in the world so up until now my relationship with my teammates and opponents has been good so far.

BT: Do you think you've been treated fairly by the CWBCC over the course of your career?

Master Blaster: I've had my fair share of high's and low's in my career and the CWBCC has looked after my interests very well for most of the time. They've kept me in their plans, which I am appreciative of. Although sometimes, the idea of me being left out constantly got incredibly frustrating. The biggest setback was no doubt missing the World Cup, an event where I
really could've cemented my place in the side as a regular and I felt a little harshly done by at the time. Overall I feel the CWBCC has done a wonderful job, I've had a good relationship with the board and I hope to improve that as my career progresses further.

BT: What do you look forward to over the next season of Cricket Web cricket?

Master Blaster: Well I'm with a new team now (CW Black) and the boys are looking forward to taking the Development League by storm. It's comforting to know that I've got a few ex CW Green teammates with me such as Eclipse so settling down in a new atmosphere will be a little easier. Personally I'm looking to carry on my bowling form from last season and possibly improve
it this season. A goal of mine is to score more runs in the OD format of the game and win more games for CW Black. Hopefully my Development League performances will inspire confidence in the CW XI selectors and from there I hope to play regular International Cricket.

BT: Who is the hardest batsman you've ever had to bowl to?

Master Blaster: Without a doubt, Matthew Hayden has been the most physically and mentally demanding batsman that I've had to bowl to. The power the man has is extraordinary and he swings his bat like he's carrying a toothpick. I was absolutely clueless on how to get his wicket and everything I tried went for runs, it was a terrifying experience bowling to Hayden and he has
to be the hardest batsman I've ever bowled to. Being originally from India, I would love a chance at facing the Indian batsmen. Sachin Tendulkar and Rahul Dravid have always been two of my favourite cricketers and to bowl to them would be an absolute honour.

BT: What bowler of cricket past and present do you most try to emulate, if any?

Master Blaster: My main mantra in bowling nowadays is consistency, line and length. All of these can only be attributes of a Glenn McGrath. He's a guy who I try and emulate and I try to be as consistent as him. I admire Shaun Pollock as well for his gutsy lower order batting as well as his consistency when he's bowling. Both of them are two of the best fast bowlers of our generation. My other idol has always been Javagal Srinath. In my opinion he's one of the hardest working bowlers India and the world has ever seen. His work ethic is fantastic and he is my idol when it comes to work ethic and determination.

Well thank you Mr. Blaster for your time with us. Best of luck in whatever venture you pursue next season and in the 5th ODI in Bangladesh.

Master Blaster: Thanks a lot, it's been a pleasure.

Last edited:

lord_of_darkness

Cricket Web XI Moderator
Would it be possible that I could do the next interview?
yeh mate hold on to your guns.. Liams handling it.. Unless you wanted to Take an interview ;)

Awesome piece on the interview with MB

Also Lord of Darkness was always encouraging me to keep working hard and telling me if I did I would find myself back in CW XI colours in no time.
Thanks for the tribute MB/Sangrah.. its been an honour playing along with you in the green team and in the CWXI mate ! You are a true example of hard work and dedication and you have always kept working hard everytime you were asked to and even when you had your down moments.. You set a really good example being one of the experience players to future CWXI hopefuls etc.. and i myself look upto you as a player and person , to what you have achieved and being there as a good friend aswell ! You have also been there for the good healthy competition and keep working at it mate ! You are a champ..

Mr Mxyzptlk

Request Your Custom Title Now!
The Daily Blast
The CW Scandal - Time with Nikhil Nichani
by Berry True

Editor: It's perhaps the interview of the year. Berry True got in contact with the now infamous Nikhil Nichani for an exclusive interview for Blast readers only. I encourage that you read this interview with an open and objective mind, as we at the Blast have attempted to discuss the various issues with Nichani rather than interrogate him.

Nikhil Nichani. Once one of the most promising young cricketers in the CW XI system, Nichani's name is now associated with shame.Indeed, it was the Cronje scandal of the CW XI and resulted in permanent bruises of backlash within the CWBCC and the CW XI organization.

For those less educated on the situation, Nikhil Nichani communicated openly to the media that his allegiance lay with the Indian cricket team ahead of the Cricket Web XI.

BT: Do you regret your statements?

Nichani: Y.E.S. If I knew I would be suspended I would have just kept my mouth shut.

BT: The backlash has been massive and glaring. Are you of the opinion that you've been somewhat unfairly treated by the powers that be?

Nichani: No,I got what i deserved,I should never go against the team I am playing for.

BT: If you had it to do again, would you have made the same comments?

Nichani: No, I think I have learned my lesson.

Yet the story does not begin here, indeed there was a brief career before the incident. Nichani splashed on to the scene in Season 5 of the Dev League, playing for the Cricket Web 'B' team. In that, his debut season, Nichani made a name for himself as a top OD prospect, scoring freely for 444 runs at 44.40. FC runs were not so abundant though, only 484 (25.47) with a century and two fifties.

BT: Against India 'A' that season you scored 19 and 10 in the FC matchup. With the use of hindsight, some look back and accuse you of matchfixing. How do you respond to that?

Nichani: Everyone does bad every now and then...that doesn't mean the match was fixed.

BT: Yet two of your more convincing OD innings (66 and 66) of that season came against India 'A'. What was it like playing against your countrymen?

Nichani: Pass.

BT: Your maiden and (to date) only FC century - 117 - came against New Zealand 'A'. That attack contained names such as Mason, Butler and Franklin - international bowlers. Would you comment on that knock?

Nichani: Well I was happy to get my century against New Zealand 'A' because my debut match was against New Zealand 'A'. It was one of the biggest moments of my career, especially because I proved to myself that I could make big runs in FC too

BT: Overall what is your fondest memory of your debut season?

Nichani: It has to be my maiden century.

Still Nichani was just on the outside looking in with regards to CW XI selection. Indeed it took a huge performance in the Cricket Web Pre-World Cup tournament (sponsored by the CW Bar) which catapulted him into the 2004 World Cup squad. Nichani stroked 263 runs in 5 games, averaging 87.67. To accompany that, his handy offspin grabbed 4 wickets at 38.50.

So Nikhil was off to the West Indies to compete in the Cricket World Cup. He scored 13 from 13 balls in his lone warmup knock. Few would have guessed that it would be his final competitive game for the next two seasons.

BT: It was quite brief, but do you care to describe your experience in the West Indies?

Nichani: Pass...I dont want to regret my statement more.

With the scandal (dubbed by the tabloids as 'Nichanigate') in full swing Nichani was suspended from the CW XI World Cup squad and later withdrawn completely. His replacement was Marc71178, the captain of Cricket Web Red.

BT: Is there any animousity toward Marc71178?

Nichani: I am gonna keep my feelings towards him to my self.

BT: Was there any conflict, verbal or otherwise, between you and any member of the CW XI at any point in time?

Nichani: Don't remember any.

BT: Marc went on to experience an amazing string of form and ultimately played a huge part in guiding the CW XI out of the second round, let alone into the Word Cup final. Basically he did a great job. Do you think you would have contributed any better had you gotten the chance?

Nichani: Well I really can't answer that cause I have no idea how I would have played, but if you wanna follow my pre-World Cup stat then yes

The ruling of the CWBCC took much time but eventually returnd a suspension until the end of Season 7. Initially the suspension was appealed and, for a period, it appeared as though Nichani would be defecting to India to try to force his way into the ranks there.

BT: What inspired your change of mind to stay within the CW XI system rather than going to India?

Nichani: I didn't want to get hated by everyone, which I am sure would have happened if I would have played for India.

Nichani's List-A OD stats read very impressively at 720 runs for a 51.43 average. He has since returned to his country of residence, the U.S.A, and is now playing club cricket for New York as a non-international.

BT: What has your American League experience been like so far?

Nichani: I am happy with my performence in New York so far and I hope to continue this performence.

BT: What expectations are there for the rest of the season?

Nichani: Read above.

BT: There are reports that you received a threatening email before your first game. Is this true? If so, what did the email entail?

Nichani: Not true.

With 2 1/2 weeks left on his New York contract, Nichani will look to score as heavily as he can if only to gain some respect among his peers when he returns to CW cricket.

BT: Do you consider your crime to have been that of matchfixing?

Nichani: No.

BT: What do you define as matchfixing?

Nichani: Losing on purpose.

BT: Who do you pick to win the World Cup - India or the CW XI?

Nichani: Pass.

Mister Wright

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
Very interesting interview.

Disapointed that Nikhil passed on some questions, but all in all, a very honest response.