• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

*Official* CW XI Media Coverage

KennyD

International Vice-Captain
Robertinho said:
That wasn't in the article, Nath...
I originally had, "I'm Nick Borcich and I'm awesome!!!" but then I remembered then end of that skit where Justin Timberlake goes, "I'm Ashton Kutcher and I love Justin Timberlake!!!" so I edited it.

Neil Pickup

Cricket Web Moderator
The NJS News
The Official Newspaper of Nixonstown Junior School: Issue 36

More than a Mascot
By Lewis Mitchell

Last week I was asked to be mascot for CW Black in their Chef de Groot Trophy match against the CW Reds at the Sydney Cricket Ground. I've never been to Sydney before. The flight took nearly four hours but I couldn't sleep at all because I was really excited about being part of a team at a proper cricket match.

I met the Black captain Dave Richards by the practice nets at nine o'clock in the morning. I like Dave, he showed me around the SCG grounds and inside and the Black dressing room where I saw lots of mess left all over the floor. If I left the school kit bag looking like that I'd get into lots of trouble!

Then I went to the practice nets and joined in with some of the Blacks guys catching practice. I think I did well but maybe they went quite easy on me, I don't think they threw them as hard at me as they did at everyone else. Next I did some bowling in the nets, I bowl off spin for school but I tried to bowl fast then because I thought I'd just get slogged bowling spin. I still got slogged a bit bowling pace but I got Chris Kalmar out bowled (but he hit me for 3 big straight sixes before that).

Then the biggest surprise of the whole day came when Dave told me that there were only 11 Black players available for the game so I could be twelfth man if I wanted to. It was like a dream come true and I was really really happy when I put on my blacks shirt. They even had time to put "Mitchell 37" on the back and even though it was hot in Sydney I never wanted to take it off.

We bowled first and we didn't do too well because James Stedman made 97 and Rob Dauth got 54. It was funny when Dauth got out cos he was sulking all the way up the pavilion steps and he kicked the door open and I heard lots of words I'd never heard before. I don't think he liked getting out. I got to field for ten overs towards the end when Alex Blackman hurt himself on the boundary boards trying to stop a four. I think I did quite well, I didn't drop any catches and I made a few stops. The Reds hit the ball much harder than the CWLand U11s do and my hands hurt by the end and Rich Langley and Nick Borcich hit some really really big sixes.

The teas were nice and I got to have second helpings because I didn't have to bat unlike the rest of the players. They all said I fielded well and Alex said he preferred watching me field to fielding himself. Unfortunately our batting didn't go very well even though Darren Dubb-Lynch got 71 he scored too slow and Mike Wilson and Chris Kalmar's slogs at the end weren't enough. I think Chris's practice against me in the nets before helped a lot!

I really enjoyed my day with the Blacks and mum says I slept better than I've ever slept before on the plane back to Nixonstown. My next cricket is the semi final of the CW Land Schools Under 11 cup against Goffton Primary School and I can't wait to use what I learned today with the Blacks!

The NJS News will carry coverage of the big Goffton Primary game

SquidAU

First Class Debutant
Makes me sound like a mean bugger, slogging a little kid for sixes. :p

Very well written article. Chuckled alot.

Blewy

Cricketer Of The Year
Neil Pickup said:
The NJS News
The Official Newspaper of Nixonstown Junior School: Issue 36

More than a Mascot
By Lewis Mitchell

Last week I was asked to be mascot for CW Black in their Chef de Groot Trophy match against the CW Reds at the Sydney Cricket Ground. I've never been to Sydney before. The flight took nearly four hours but I couldn't sleep at all because I was really excited about being part of a team at a proper cricket match.

I met the Black captain Dave Richards by the practice nets at nine o'clock in the morning. I like Dave, he showed me around the SCG grounds and inside and the Black dressing room where I saw lots of mess left all over the floor. If I left the school kit bag looking like that I'd get into lots of trouble!

Then I went to the practice nets and joined in with some of the Blacks guys catching practice. I think I did well but maybe they went quite easy on me, I don't think they threw them as hard at me as they did at everyone else. Next I did some bowling in the nets, I bowl off spin for school but I tried to bowl fast then because I thought I'd just get slogged bowling spin. I still got slogged a bit bowling pace but I got Chris Kalmar out bowled (but he hit me for 3 big straight sixes before that).

Then the biggest surprise of the whole day came when Dave told me that there were only 11 Black players available for the game so I could be twelfth man if I wanted to. It was like a dream come true and I was really really happy when I put on my blacks shirt. They even had time to put "Mitchell 37" on the back and even though it was hot in Sydney I never wanted to take it off.

We bowled first and we didn't do too well because James Stedman made 97 and Rob Dauth got 54. It was funny when Dauth got out cos he was sulking all the way up the pavilion steps and he kicked the door open and I heard lots of words I'd never heard before. I don't think he liked getting out. I got to field for ten overs towards the end when Alex Blackman hurt himself on the boundary boards trying to stop a four. I think I did quite well, I didn't drop any catches and I made a few stops. The Reds hit the ball much harder than the CWLand U11s do and my hands hurt by the end and Rich Langley and Nick Borcich hit some really really big sixes.

The teas were nice and I got to have second helpings because I didn't have to bat unlike the rest of the players. They all said I fielded well and Alex said he preferred watching me field to fielding himself. Unfortunately our batting didn't go very well even though Darren Dubb-Lynch got 71 he scored too slow and Mike Wilson and Chris Kalmar's slogs at the end weren't enough. I think Chris's practice against me in the nets before helped a lot!

I really enjoyed my day with the Blacks and mum says I slept better than I've ever slept before on the plane back to Nixonstown. My next cricket is the semi final of the CW Land Schools Under 11 cup against Goffton Primary School and I can't wait to use what I learned today with the Blacks!

The NJS News will carry coverage of the big Goffton Primary game

Go Goffton!!!

Neil Pickup

Cricket Web Moderator
The NJS News
The Official Newspaper of Nixonstown Junior School: Issue 37

Keeping up appearances
By Stuart Conran

There's been a lot of debate Hakon Mork's position behind the stumps in the CWLand Test Team. It's one of the most important places in the team as there's no way a team can survive with a keeper who can't catch. The semi final of the CWLand U11 Schools' Cup between NJS and Goffton Primary gave many more examples of this.

A coach full of NJS pupils joined their team on the journey up the M1 to the town of Goffton and the ground at Enstone Street overlooking the river. After NJS captain Steve Benbow won the toss, the Goffton openers started really well, but were helped by Pete Hayes struggling badly behind the stumps. Benbow's opening spell went for ten an over before Vince Pearson's leg spin brought some stability.

Peason took four middle order wickets and strangled the run-rate, and when year five left arm fast bowler Jamie Cowie caused Goffton opener Gilliot, who made 122, to flick a leading edge to Andre Lancaster at square leg, NJS were back in the game. Unfortunately for them, Kenny Williamson made a brave 45* and was well supported by the tail until Luke Benbow, Steve's younger brother, knocked over ten and eleven in the space of four balls to bowl out Goffton for 338.

Pete Hayes and Steve Benbow started well for NJS but after Hayes missed a slower ball, NJS started to panic. Matt Craddock, Lewis Mitchell and Jamie Cowie all showed inexperience as they were run out for scores between 10 and 20, and only Benbow was keeping the team alive as he made the most of the gentle pitch and his lack of height to cut and pull boundary after boundary on his way to his second hundred for school.

Rob Robbins only lasted three balls as he miscued Matty Stagg to midwicket but Luke Benbow managed to stay with his older brother for nine overs as the two added 38 for the sixth wicket. However, Luke and then Jeff Barker fell quickly and Andre Lancaster had to face the pressure of staying around for his captain with just Pearson and Roger Horseman to come, neither of who can bat particularly well at all.

No matter what Goffton tried, Andre refused to get out and it was Goffton swing bowler Brian Turnbull who cracked, as he lost his nerve when NJS needed five to win and sent a huge wide down legside to the boundary to send NJS to the final.

Steve Benbow, whose 182* took over three hours and is surely the best ever innings by an NJS batsman, was awarded man of the match for his batting and sportsmanship in consoling the distraught Turnbull at the end of the game. NJS now go on to the PDV Dome in Edfield to play the final against St Mark's Prep from Robbham. Maybe we'll find one boy in the school who can keep wicket before then.

The NJS News will carry coverage of the Cup Final, as well as keeping you up to date with all happenings in and around the school

Mr Mxyzptlk

Request Your Custom Title Now!
The Demons of Dave Watt
A Kwase Knight special

As he plays amidst some of the most woeful bowling form of his career, the future for Dave Watt looks nothing short of disastrous from my perspective. I therefore sat down with the big fast bowler to see whether he shared my tears.

Sitting calmly and smiling as pleasantly as a Red player can, Watt asserted that he is indeed uncertain about his current state as a cricketer. "These days I feel I'm a lot stronger mentally, which has helped bring some relative success in the longer form, however in saying that, my one-day game has lost that early aggression and spark," said Watt.

It's no secret that he has been struggling lately with the ball. Yes, he took a creditable 58 wickets in 13 FC games in Season 9, but 13 OD wickets came at a lowly average of 46.69.

"I haven't viewed myself as a particularly good one-day bowler bar the one good season, and some odd performances here and there," Watt said, "Age isn't an issue, you don't have to be a spring chicken to be getting the ball in the right areas! However I'd be a liar if I said I was bowling well - there is definitely room for improvement! But don't write the "old man" off just yet - there's still plenty of juice left in the tank."

Seemingly confident and assertive, Watt made surprisingly good eye contact, for a man so near to the breaking point. I felt it my duty to impose upon him the reality of his undoubtedly fragile mental state, to allow him to see what the world already understands so thoroughly. Is Dave Watt at the breaking point?

"Times have been frustrating in the shorter form, as for reaching the breaking point - that's a long way off," he said.

The batsmen tend to disagree though, and cash in continually. England scored against him at 5.60 per over, and even the amateur batsmen at Grade level are leaning into the big man.

"Last time I checked I was in the team as a 'strike bowler' so I'm not too worried about my economy - I'm prepared to go for a few in exchange for a wicket," said Watt. A wicket? Not very high aspirations admittedly.

With such devastating results coming so frequently, it seems as though Watt's demons are going nowhere. The press suspected his return to the Davistow Darter was an attempt to address this, but he vehemently denies such signs of desperation.

"My initial decision to head back to Grade cricket was not to sort out these so-called demons, but merely to head back to my roots and pass on some experience to the younger boys down at Davistow," Watt stated.

I have my doubts. It was clear that this troubled man was hiding something. The question, as always, was what exactly is the secret. Surely it will not be long before all is exposed. After all, Watt was quick to admit that he'd broken the hearts of many a fan of Cricket Web Red with his blatantly substandard efforts.

"Red fans have every right to feel disappointed and obviously I've been pretty disappointed with my form. However, I've maintained good things come to those who wait. I wouldn't say a complete and utter disappointment to the fans, though," he said, sheepishly glancing toward the floor, "Obviously there are a minority out there who call for my head each time I put in a lacklustre effort, but on the whole the dedicated ones remember the good times, and accept the fact that luck hasn't gone my way of late."

Yet how many good times were there that Watt could truly inspire joyful memories? How much luck does he need these days? Has he ever really lived up to his promise? Some would suggest that he is simply another poor club cricketer riding the coat-tails of a flattering statistical record.

Whilst Watt remains as positive as you can expect from a man with a secret, the world waits to see just when he cracks. Some cricketers prefer to live on the edge. For Dave Watt, there's no real choice.

"At present I'm focused on leading the Reds to their first silverware next season, we've got a good bunch of blokes down here and I'm certain with a bit of a guiding they can produce the goods when required. We've got the raw talent, we just need to get some consistency about our game, which only comes with experience," he said.

Fair play Mr. Watt. Fair play.

Kweek

Cricketer Of The Year
Watt is past his best. clearly. good to see he's giving the grade guys some extra knowledge. I mean the guy is a legand already. just getting to old for the shorter version. he's still a demon in FC cricket.
OD its just over. I reckon he should retire OD from Red and play grade cricket with the lads at davistow.

steds

Hall of Fame Member
Mr Mxyzptlk said:
. After all, Watt was quick to admit that he'd broken the hearts of many a fan of Cricket Web Red with his blatantly substandard efforts.
That is beyond a lie. He is a hero to all true Reds fans, who recognise the 125% he puts in every single game, no matter where his bowling is dispatched to. Kwase Knight has obviously never seen the website devoted to the new Reds skipper, bornandbred.co.cw

steds

Hall of Fame Member
kwek said:
Watt is past his best. clearly. good to see he's giving the grade guys some extra knowledge. I mean the guy is a legand already. just getting to old for the shorter version. he's still a demon in FC cricket.
OD its just over. I reckon he should retire OD from Red and play grade cricket with the lads at davistow.
And who asked you?