Cricket Player Manager
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Mullet Goes West

International Debutant AUST_HiTMaN's Avatar

Mullet Goes West

Saturday 13th November 2004
    1st Entry

After the little controversy with the Pirates in T&T, I walked in the clubrooms of the WACA early this morning and was greeted by Wayne Clark (Coach) and Dennis Lillee (President). They soon showed me around the grounds, and handed me my free drinks card for the Bradman Bar, which I'm sure will come in handy. I met up with a couple of the boys in the nets before official training started, the 2 blokes were Luke Ronchi and Sudeep Popat. I thought I recognised Sudeep from Dev League, but I wasn't too sure, must of been some junk rookie who'd been called up to play in place of the CW XI players leaving. Ronchi was a handy batter, and Sudeep was having a bit of a bowl to him, talk about pies! Ronchi was giving the pies thrown up by Sudeep the typical West Aussie treatment and putting them straight back over the bowlers head with no hesitation.

After watching the humiliation of Sudeep I made my way across to the bowling machine and padded up, had a bit of a hit (technically, miss), Felt alright, I was swinging the bat with some awsome speed, and the whoosh of the ball passing willow was sounding sweet as ever. So sweet was the sound that a few of the blokes actually turned and gave me a smile and a big thumbs up, Wow, am I in or what! After a few sweet edges through slip I thought it was enough practice for one day and decided not to spoil my talent with the willow. First game was later today, had to get some rest after my trip.
    Last edited by AUST_HiTMaN; 12-11-2004 at 11:06 AM.
    eep.

Saturday 13th November 2004
    2nd Entry

'Twas the first game of the season today, with us taking on Tasmania at home. I heard that Kyle Wright was a certain starter for Tasmania, which was good because it meant I got to face off against my Reds bowling partner.

Bad news came early, Steve Magoffin would miss the match, as he pulled up sore from a big night last night, Local Midland/Guilford player Peter Worthington was called upon to replace Magoffin at late notice. Another team selection issue which was no surprise at all, Mr Popat was left out of the starting XII and consequently had to play for PErth CC alongside his best mate, Luke Ronchi. Brad Hogg replaced Popat, as there was simply no chance of taking 2 spinners onto the WACA wicket. Sudeep was shattered, but at the same time, delighted he could play alongside Ronchi in a club game where he took 2/25 and hit a respectable 34*. Rest of the team was as planned, with Gilchrist taking gloves, Meuleman and Marsh making way for Langer and Martyn.

Our captain Michael Hussey lost the toss however this didn't hurt us as Tasmania decided to have a bat, which is suicidal on the WACA wicket. To kick off proceedings young gun David Dawson strided to the crease, only to quickly dissappear after 7 runs, lofting one straight to mid wicket where Hoggy was waiting. Bevan joined Cox, and also departed cheaply, scoring 4 before edging one behind to Gilchrist. 2/45 turned into 3/55 when DiVenuto was trapped in front for 5. Cox stuck around down his end, and top scored with 80, he was joined by Daniel Marsh who made a solid 65*. Tasmania all out for 285, with late inclusion Peter Worthington taking 4/66. Other noteable performances were Darren Wates - 3/33. Hoggy didn't bowl much and finished with 1/42.

We went in to bat fairly confident, with Marto Langer and Gilly all back from international duty. However they got an early breakthrough with Langer dismissed for 15. Goodwin and Hussey put a few on together, before Goodwin gave Kyle Wright his first wicket in the Pura Competition. Martyn didn't trouble the selectors. A wicket later: Enter AD Gilchrist. He made 168, Hussey down the other end hit a captains knock of 179. Hoggy also got a a nice 64, which brought us to 7/542 declared. Solid showing from our batting.

We got what we wanted, an early wicket, when I skittled Cox for 11. Score was 1/13. In a huge turn around, Dawson and Bevan put on 216 together, both hitting centuries. Only other resistance in the Tasmanian batting lineup was Michael Dighton scoring 95*. No chance of a result in the 4D game, and the match was drawn with Tasmania 6/488.

After the game, we had a team meeting and discussed the performance. Hussey let us know he will be unable to continue captaincy due to personal problems. Naturally I put my hand up, and got a solid vote from the boys. New WA captain, D.J Watt.

Next game is at the SCG and I have a gut feeling that we will be playing Popat and Hogg in tandem on the turning SCG wicket.

Also I believe Mr Popat is running his own Diary, this is sure to get the player rivalry going, however until he or Ronchi actually get named in a starting XI for us, I think he should keep the trash talking down a bit

Retravision Player Points (Game vs Tasmania FC)
    5 Points - Adam Gilchrist
    4 Points - Michael Hussey
    3 Points - Brad Hogg
    2 Points - Murray Goodwin
    1 Point - Darren Wates
    Last edited by AUST_HiTMaN; 13-11-2004 at 01:28 AM.

How conveniently Watt ignores mentioning his own performance in the match...
    "The optimum human population of earth is zero." - Dave Foreman

Quote Originally Posted by Cricket Web
    Unfortunately Sudeep Popat did not play, but rather took 12th man duties as the powers that be at Western Australia opted for the experience of Brad Hogg.
    Quote Originally Posted by Watt
    Mr Popat was left out of the starting XII and consequently had to play for PErth CC alongside his best mate, Luke Ronchi.
    Jet lag?

Imagining club cricket matches...

International Captain ash chaulk's Avatar
    Dave do u know how jelous i am that u get to play for WA but.... my temporary home with 50cent in New York is just as good :P
    CW Black - The best team in the ComP

Proudly supporting:
    • Wasim Ranamadruta
      Ahkeep Myteefina Jahbesidabed
      Ramatunga Downathroata

Quote Originally Posted by pasag View Post
    So ash chaulk is the first ever AFL Last Man Standing.

Bowling tgfg Champion! Carmageddon Champion! Rainman Champion! DTunnel Champion!
    good reading dave, i expect you to keep up with this high standard
    Jesus brings life eternal

remembering Phil 'The Prince' Hughes - we will always love you

Thanks, the little good feedback I get helps. Some people just don't appriciate the effort that others go to, when they dont even have a diary of their own. *cough* Markus */end cough*

International Vice-Captain Slats4ever's Avatar
    hahah i'd write a diary. IN fact Puffin Books (ur publisher) asked me first but I declined. There's diary overkill right now and I'll just help superkingdave with some cameo writing. I'm just voicing the opinions of Prince Town people.
    WCC - Manager of Warwickshire

Sunday 14th November 2004
    3rd Entry

Day off today, no cricket to worry about. However I have a fair few other things on my mind. The hotel I am staying at here in Sydney has recieved many anonymous phone calls from Trinidad and Tobago, word has it the West Indian drug lords arn't happy with my decision to leave the Pirates, and trouble is brewing over there. Reds teammate Ian Markus has been heckled at the local Deli just trying to buy his usual double beef pie, I fear for Fatty, if his basic food needs arn't met, he can become rather agressive, and tends to lash out - I know from Prior experience when he was denied thirds at the end of season dinner a few months ago! This tension wasnt helped at all by the lacklustre performance from DP Richards and CM Broadbent, who managed game stats of: 25-7-96-2, and 8 runs between them in 3 innings. We shall see how things pan out over there, luckilly I can hide behind the safety of Australian borders.

Today after the plane flight across to Sydney, there was a mixup at the Hyatt Hotel in Sydney. I ended up getting put with Sudeep Popat, what a dissapointment that was to me. We are 2 very different characters - Sudeep can't bat, I can. Sudeep bowls pies, I eat pies. However, this could be the start of a great partnership, I'm sure he has alot to learn from me regarding batting, and I think I could learn how to bowl pies as good as him. Time shall tell I guess. Sudeep rattled something off in Hindi about going to see his mate Aldex Feeney in Woolgoolga or something, I couldn't quite get the translation, but it looks like I'll have time alone to sit down and work out the starting XI for the match against NSW.

It's good to read your diaries via the net even though i'm in the windies.

hahaha that's more like it... i can see you rooming with some guy who rattles something off in Hindi. haha so now you're alone are you? I wonder what's going on...
    next time he goes u should follow him and see what adventures he gets up to...

ps why are the drug lords worried about you?

Drug Lords arn't happy because they invest big $$$ in West Indian Cricket, and they don't like their players betraying them and venturing off to other clubs days before the first game.

Or so I'm told.

**** hey. i had dinner the other night with a few guys who called themeselves gus, john and angry roger.... they were wearing suits and were a bit weird. they got me heaps drunk to and were asking me all these questions....

Tell them nothing!

Eyes not spreadsheets marc71178's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by AUST_HiTMaN
    Day off today, no cricket to worry about.
    Well thats what the team management told you anyway...
    marc71178 - President and founding member of AAAS - we don't only appreciate when he does well, but also when he's not quite so good!

Anyone want to join the Society?

Beware the evils of Kit-Kats - they're immoral apparently.

Monday 15th November 2004
    4th Entry

Talk about leading the team by example, recently promoted captain, myself, got Man of the Match honours from a stellar display against the hapless NSW. Anyway Sudeep covered that match in depth, so no need to post a match report here. However I believe Sudeep needs to get back in touch with the team, constantly calling poor Scott Meuleman - Fuelman. I understand Scotty is getting rather upset about it, given his prior history of Arson. Apart from that Popat's 68 was a great lower order innings, I believe the batting tips I gave him the night before really helped him out, I wish him all the best for his batting, and have offered to be his personal batting coach. He mumbled something in Hindi and walked off. I think I am onto a winner there.

Anyway, I apologise about the lack of entries recently, however after we caught the early flight home, I found myself the next morning in the East Perth lockup, where dear Mr Popat was bailing me out. God knows how I ended up there, Popat seems to think I was wandering the streets all night in search of a flight attendant? Bah, tis all just rumours. The next morning I had to face a team inquiry about the Balcony incident, however it was all a misunderstanding, well, I never meant to do it on purpose... I swear!

Only a short entry now, Must get back to my Penthouse Suite @ the Hyatt and do some relaxing prior to the first 1Der against Tasmania.

Retravision Player Points (Game vs NSW - FC)
    5 Points - DJ Watt
    4 Points - PC Worthington
    3 Points - SE Marsh
    2 Points - SC Popat
    1 Point - L Ronchi

Overall Standings after 2 Games:

5 Points - Adam Gilchrist, Dave Watt
    4 Points - Michael Hussey, Peter Worthington
    3 Points - Brad Hogg, Shaun Marsh
    2 Points - Murray Goodwin, Sudeep Popat
    1 Point - Luke Ronchi, Darren Wates

Popat catches up to his arch rival, Brad Hogg, should be a interesting battle. Ronchi gets his first point for 7 catches in the match.

Until next time.

Dave

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread Information