• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

CricketWeb Tennis - Season I

David

International 12th Man
So stoked to get a win on the board, unfortunately it was at the expense of Maxum. Incredibly tight game, which I was pretty lucky to win, hoping I can now push on and do CW proud.

SirBloody Idiot

Cricketer Of The Year
ATP Masters Series Madrid; Tretorn Serie+ Lugano (R32/R16) - May 11-17 Season I

Surprised our tag-team effort didn't get you through mate. :ph34r:
Shush you. :dry:

Mutua Madrilena Masters Madrid
Round of 32 - Madrid

Seeds
Draw - Section One
Draw - Section Two
Draw - Section Three
Draw - Section Four

Four CWLanders will take part in the final sixteen of the ATP Masters Series Madrid after yet another successful round of tennis. In the hotly anticipated all-CWLand clash between Randy Smeltz and Brett Read, it was the German-born Smeltz who got his revenge for his loss to Read at the Rome Masters with a straight sets demolition job. It was a let-down for the modest crowd as Smeltz put on a clinic as he romped to a 6-2, 6-0 victory. With the first set level at two games apiece, Read was broken to love and never recovered as he dropped ten games on the trot to hand Smeltz an elementary victory. Randy now faces Munich finalist Oneil Stewart who produced a brilliant match of tennis to defeat fourth seeded Czech Radek Špidla.

In the same half, Sven Oxenstierna set up a third round clash with Argentina's Juan Moreno after a straight sets win over Spaniard Javier Villaneuva. The ninth seed struggled at times against the wildcard, but did what had to be done en route to a 7-5, 6-3 victory. The CWLander would've expected a clash with seventh seed Illya Altman; but the Ukrainian, who has probably been the second best clay courter this season, failed to overcome his unseeded opponent who claimed a massive 6-4, 4-6, 7-6(6) victory after some disappointing Masters Series performances thus far.

Jefferson Drake will have a tough task on his hands in the third round of the Madrid Masters; the fourteenth seed facing world number three and tournament favourite Daniel Páez Blanco. Drake was forced to come from a set down to defeat Morocco's Hayden Onwye, and will need to improve if he is to challenge the undefeated Blanco. At times the world number sixteen looked disinterested; his first set performance nothing short of abysmal. But Drake realised this as a fact, and hyped himself up in the break between sets by hurling his racquet against the barricades (earning himself a code violation). From there, the CWLander looked a much better player as he broke service at crucial times to seal a dramatic 2-6, 7-5, 6-4 victory. Finally, Jamee Hancianu advanced to the third round following a three-set win against local hope Sergio Joaquin. Not overawed by the crowd, Hancianu bagelled Joaquin in the first set with some exceptional tennis which kept a raucous Madrid audience quiet for the most part. However, they rallied behind their hero as the world number 37 stormed back into the contest to edge the second set. But it wasn't to be for the Spaniard, as he failed to maintain this form into the third as the impressive youngster Hancianu sealed a 6-0, 5-7, 6-2 victory. Spain now has just two competitors in the final sixteen; favourite Daniel Páez Blanco and Sanchez Emelio.

Seeds Out: 1-Jason Hall (USA); 4-Radek Špidla (CZE); 7-Illya Altman (UKR); 12-Henry Charles (GBR).

BSI Lugano Challenger
Round of 16 - Lugano

Draw

Heath Davis and Martti Korpinen will face off in an all-CWLand clash in the quarterfinals of the BSI Lugano Challenger after the pair made light work of their second round opponents. The top seed Davis continued to prove his credentials on clay with a 6-2, 7-5 victory over Aleksander Alitspritsin, but seemed to tire as the second set wore on; a problem he must strive to fix ahead of the best-of-five tournament in just over a week. Davis' power game proved too good for the Lithuanian; and, despite producing too many unforced errors for his liking, matched it with a brilliant twenty aces. Korpinen on the other hand produced an upset against sixth seed Andrej Konc. In a tough first set tussle, Korpinen edged ahead thanks to a consistent tiebreaker performance, before completely running past the Slovak sixth seed in the second to seal an impressive 7-6(6), 6-2 victory.

In the all-CWLand clash on the bottom half of the draw, second seed Rob Bowenburg proved just too good for the volatile Alex de Wet as he picked up a straight sets victory. The world number 79 was tested by his Zimbabwean-born opponent in the first set; and despite breaking service early, was still forced to a tiebreaker. It was there, though, that The Lob got the better of a frustrated de Wet to take the first set 7-6(2). The second was much easier for Bowenburg, as de Wet seemed to be fighting a battle with himself as well as his opponent - Bowenburg taking advantage of an unfocussed de Wet to seal a 7-6(6), 6-3 win.

Seeds Out: 3-Oscar Highsmith (GBR); 6-Andrej Konc (SVK).

Hall out in wildcard boilover

World number one Jason Hall has suffered a massive setback to his French Open chances after an upset loss to world number 57 and wildcard Paolo Mandonna in the second round of the Mutua Madrilena Masters Madrid. In over two hours, Hall capitulated against the Argentinian 27-year old 7-5, 4-6, 6-2 in what has arguably been the biggest upset of the Open Era so far. Until Mandonna's surprise semifinal appearance in Estoril last week (an event Hall won), the Argentine found himself ranked at number 78 in the world which makes this defeat even more surprising. Hall will now have to consider whether he makes a late application for a wildcard entry into next weeks Hypo Group Tennis International in Portscach - the final international series tournament ahead of the French Open. "Yeah, [Portscach] is something I'll consider. I thought I played well in Estoril, so the plan was always to play Madrid and then rest next week," a dejected Hall said following the match, before adding: "I'll discuss it with my people and then decide whether we try for Portscach, or stick with our plan." Hall also commended Mandonna on his performance; "I didn't think I played too bad, he was just very good. He's a solid player, and when you have a bad day on clay, those types of guys can cause you trouble." Despite his number one rankings, Hall is still yet to win an ATP Masters Series event and finds himself in danger of losing his number one ranking.

David

International 12th Man
Pretty pleased with that, very happy with my performances here, thrilled to be playing good tennis.

HeathDavisSpeed

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
The seeds seem to be dropping out with regularity at Lugano. A very good win there for Korpinen. Should be a good tussle in the next round.

Chubb

International Regular
Interview with Alex de Wet

Reporter: Alex, unlucky today.
ADW: (Shrugs) That boy's all hype... I'd have had him if it wasn't for the officials, ja?
R: You seem angry even now.
ADW: Ja, well people tell me I always look angry. So I have desire? So sometimes I cross the line, question the "status quo"? That makes me a bad boy in their book...
R: Who are "They", Alex?
ADW: They're everywhere... they hate to see someone like me "bringing the game into disrepute"
R: Are you suggesting that the tennis world is against you?
ADW: Yes. I came to this event to win it. I am good enough to win it and I'm good enough to beat Bowenburg and I would have done but for the officials... I'm a top ten in the world player... they just won't let me win. Maybe they think I'm bad for the game's image or something? I'm going to do so much better from here on in they won't be able to treat me like this... I'm going to make them pay.
R: I think some people are put off by your on-court persona, but...
ADW: It's not a persona. That's who I am. I get angry. I break rackets. I punch windows and ****. Big deal. Look at my results... look at the way I play. That's who I am. If you don't like it you can **** off and leave me alone. I don't need people like that.
R:Okay. Moving on, Alex, what do you think of Bowenburg's chances in the event now?
ADW: I don't give a **** about him. I don't give a **** about this event now, period...
R: There seems to be an element of genuine hatred here...
ADW: I personally do hate him. I personally do hate him. That's it. Interview done. (barges out)

Reporter (to cameraman) Remind me not to do him again...

Last edited:

NUFAN

Y no Afghanistan flag
Hey De Wet, did the editor chop off a 0, I mean the article says your a top 10 player, top 100 is being a bit more realistic mate.

ripper868

International Coach
So stoked to get a win on the board, unfortunately it was at the expense of Maxum. Incredibly tight game, which I was pretty lucky to win, hoping I can now push on and do CW proud.
Happy for you to have got a win up on the board, and that embrace was special, a sporting memorabilia moment if ever there was one.

SirBloody Idiot

Cricketer Of The Year
ATP Masters Series Madrid; Tretorn Serie+ Lugano (R16/QFs) - May 11-17 Season I

Mutua Madrilena Masters Madrid
Round of 16 - Madrid

Draw - Finals
Draw - Section One
Draw - Section Two
Draw - Section Three
Draw - Section Four

Two CWLanders will participate in the ATP Masters Series Madrid quarterfinals, but they aren't who one would expect as Randy Smeltz and Jamee Hancianu recorded impressive third round victories. 28-year old Smeltz's exceptional run of form continued with a straight sets win over emerging Jamaican hope Oneil Stewart; a victory which will give him hope of going deep into the French Open draw. Smeltz took little over an hour-and-a-half to defeat the athletic Stewart 6-3, 6-4, as the unseeded Jamaican failed to show the maturity to wait points out; preferring to instead try to end them early. Whilst he hit many winners, he also struck a catastrophic amount of unforced errors en route to defeat. Elsewhere, Paolo Mandonna's tournament came to a sensational conclusion just a round after knocking out top seed Jason Hall. The Argentine wildcard let young Hancianu dictate play as the Romanian-born CWLander snatched a 6-2, 6-4 victory.

In the fourth section, Sven Oxenstierna again failed to feature in the later parts of a Masters tournament as his form continues to plumet. Despite showing signs in his first couple of matches, the ninth seed will be made to seriously consider his preparation for Roland Garros after falling to a 6-4, 7-5 defeat against Argentina's Juan Moreno. It was a similar story for 14th seed Jefferson Drake who came crashing down to earth with a straight sets thumping at the racquet of Spanish third seed Daniel Páez Blanco. Despite his seeding, Blanco is overwhelming favourite to take the tournament out - and he produced his best performance of the tournament to record a 6-2 6-3 win.

Seeds Out: 6-József Boros (HUN); 8-Miroslav Brdar (CRO); 9-Sven Oxenstierna (CWL); 14-Jefferson Drake (CWL).

BSI Lugano Challenger
Quarterfinals - Lugano

Draw

CWLand top seeds Heath Davis and Rob Bowenburg are on course for a dramatic fourth all-CWLand clash for the tournament after both took the honours in their respective quarterfinal clashes in Lugano. Drawn against countryman Martti Korpinen, top seed Heath Davis continued his renaissance on clay as he crashed and bashed his way to a 6-2, 6-2 victory. Davis is yet to drop a set this tournament, and, despite some poor performances to date on the slower European surfaces, finds himself hitting form ahead of Roland Garros. The victory draws him against eighth seed Tu Haifeng who proved too good for Chilean Jefferson Quezada.

Bowenburg, however, had it much tougher against highly rated Latvian Ivars Emsis. Emsis has not produced the tennis many expected of him this year, and clay has not been his best friend. Despite this, the man who has the biggest serve on the circuit took the first set off the second seed Bowenburg thanks largely to a multitude of aces. Whilst the aces continued to come, Bowenburg managed to stem the flow enough in the second to take a late break to level the match at a set each; before outlasting the big Latvian to seal a 4-6, 7-5, 6-2 win. He will face fourth seed Li Ming-Wang who likewise came from a set down to defeat countryman Fok Zhenyu.

Seeds Out: 7-Fok Zhenyu (CHN).

Last edited:

dontcloseyoureyes

BARNES OUT
Expected to be smashed.

Kind of annoying how dominant Blanco is on clay. Will make future clay seasons extremely boring, especially if he expectedly wins the French.

David

International 12th Man
Ouch, got smashed, was to be expected though, pretty pleased with my performance for the tournament overall. Hoping it's a sign of improvement.